It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Expert evaluation
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to purchase a show quality bengal kitten and I've to choose between two kittens.
The problem is, I've never owned a bengal before and I don't know how to choose.

1. Can anyone here help me understand witch of them will be batter for shows?
2. You can see in the video that the male is bigger then the female, does it mean that this boy will always be smaller?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxrxeqb5mdh1b ... e.mp4?dl=0

Post subject: Re: Expert evaluation
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Honestly, the only way to know whether a kitten will show well is to know the parameters the judges look for in a kitten. The key to winning points toward a championship will always be the # of kittens in that category. I know a breeder whose stud got to QGC in three shows an took best overall cat in one of them. The last show, there were 160 cats and he didn't place at all. You might want to look at the pedigree of each kitten. Are there lots of Supreme Grand Champions?

The only way you are going to know for sure is to pick one of them, enter them into a show, and take the feedback from the judges. Trying to get to SGC takes multiple shows and lots of traveling.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dani, personally I don't really understand the principle of choosing a kitten to win shows. I understand choosing for breeding, choosing for beauty and choosing for bond or attitude

What if the kitten doesn't win any show in the future? Kittens are not like cars that can be replaced. It's a commitment for life.

My advice is to choose a show quality Bengal that looks beautiful to you, regardless if he/she wins or not. Otherwise, you're better off buying an adult winner that already won at a show although as Sherry wrote, this may still not guarantee future wins still.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:27 pm 
Senior Bengal

Males kitties normally are larger in size than females, comparing at the same age of course.

As for your intention on finding kitties for shows. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. You can get one for show and then later another as pet and vice versa, nothing wrong. Everyone has a different intention, whether for a pet or shows. As long as you are not harming the kitty in any way, its fine, it's not like training a rooster for a 'never back down' cock-fighting competition!

In fact getting one for show can be seen in a way to showcase and help spread the beauty of Bengal cats to the rest of the world. Or else, how are cats going to appear in shows? Moreover, in a positive sense, such shows also inculcate a sense of responsibility on both the owner and breeders worldwide to produce healthier and better quality kittens.

Now back to the choosing part. First I'd like to stress that I have nothing against these kitties, they are lovely creatures. But if youu are bringing them for show, its a different dimension.

As for which of the two, personally, I'd say pls take your time to choose. I'd refrain from saying the usual 'it all depends on the judge' thingy. Though I am not an expert and you don't need to be one, in fact if you follow closely to the TICA Bengal Breed Seminar 2016 basic guidelines for instance, a horizontal flowing pattern is important with minimal rib bars. Multiple vertical patterns are a no-go.

Unfortunately, IMO, I see these undesirable traits on both, although they are great as pet-quality, hell, "All kitties are beautiful". But regardless of the no. of cats on the show, there is no point in bringing a kitten with an obvious 'handicap' to a show (no matter how much you love it) and hope for the best. Other competitors are gonna eat your kitty for breakfast, especially competing with the newer breeds with stunning features. We are no longer in the 90s, whereby a one or two rosettes is a call for celebration.

The male one is pretty obvious and suffers the most problem. Strangely, though it has a stunning large chain-rosettes at the front, but it's in the wrong direction! It is forming in a vertical direction on the rib bars, which is a potential disaster. In fact this is one of the strangest undesirable pattern I've seen, kind of weird. If only one could 'rotate' the chain rosettes 90 degrees and then shift it near the centre or spine lines, then perhaps you could get something more like an ocelot..lol.

As for the female one, again , same issue, though less obvious. The rosettes near the front legs are again joining in a vertical direction with the lower bars, such a pity! Starboard (right) side is fine, with only one vertical rib bar, which is still a 'acceptable'. But Port side (left) has three!..lol, another no-go.

To do well in a show, not necessarily being first, as a bare minimum, you should choose one with a 'fighting chance', with all things being equal (face, feet, tail etc.).

Hence I'd say, if there are much better choice elsewhere, pls move on if your sole intention for now is to enter a show. Choosing a Bengal is never smooth-sailing with lots of twist and turns, do take your time.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Breeders sell pet quality and show quality bengals. They usually make the determination and it affects the price. You aren't going to be able to decide what is show quality-- breeders show their cats. So, find a breeder that shows their cats, look at their queens and studs with a RW SGC, QGC, TGC, DGC, or CH in front of their names. An OS and OD is even better as those are cats who have sired at least a dozen champions (Outstanding Sire / Outstanding Dam). IW (International Winners) are good as well. Since I'm not an expert, that would be the criteria I would look for. It's easy to surf websites of the breeders and drool over all the gorgeous kitties.