[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal right for me?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal right for me?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hey, this is my first post and it may be long, sorry in advance. Alright so i am 18 years old and live with my parents while going to university. I have been interested in getting a bengal for months now and would like the forums opinion if a bengal is right for me because i have heard mixed reviews for these guys. I have owned a cat before and loved the guy (rip). My family isn't opposed to cats but they want to get him declawed. I do not want this because i heard it changes the cats behaviour, do the nail caps work? are there other alternatives? and are these cats crazy? will they be causing havoc constantly? i am fine with small stuff but i mean tot he point were we cannot handle it anymore? will they need 24 hour supervision? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Bengal right for me?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on asking a most important question -- bengals are not for everyone! People who have owned cats in the past are not prepared for what a bengal brings to the table. They are gorgeous, exotic-looking cats, that's for sure. But, they are very vocal, highly energetic, quite social creatures. Most are not lap cats and don't like being held. They don't really like being left alone as they demand a lot of attention, especially if you're going to get a kitten.

Declawing is cruel to the cat. If you want to know how it feels, rip your fingernails completely off to the cuticle and see how that goes. If a declawing is not done properly, it can present a lot of problems -- I recently saw a picture of a cat's deformed paws due to a botched job! It's not worth it. If you have multiple (and I mean a lot) of scratching posts, your kitty should prefer to use them. Nail caps can work great, if you're able to get them ON the cat. They eventually wear off and you have to replace them. Bengals also require at least one tall cat tree or climbing shelves as they love to jump and be high up. If your bengal is going to be closed in your room while you're gone, it may go stir crazy! They do nap, but they also need a lot of space.

Bengals can be naughty cats. This is not to say you can't have a great experience owning one, but you have to know what you're getting into and be prepared to deal with it. You know your situation better than anybody else. If I were in your shoes, I would look for an older cat who has already been declawed -- that way, it satisfies your parents and you don't have to deal with any declawing. An older domestic kitty is going to be more laid back. Your parents may have to deal with your kitty while you're at school -- and many do not have the patience for the bengal personality. Then again, you might end up with a bengal who loves to just curl up in your lap and sleep! It's a coin toss, really! Every cat has a unique personality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would advise against getting a pet full stop tbh. You are 18 and your life could go anywhere in the next few years. What if you want to travel? Move out of your parents' home and rent a place? Much more difficult to find a suitable rental when you have pets, trust me. What if you want to move far away for a job? Within a year of finishing university I had moved to the other side of the world! which was not originally in my plans at all. Are you willing to turn down opportunities because you have a pet? And are you willing to spend your money on cat food/litter/toys/trees/insurance/vet bills?

That warning aside, your family really don't sound keen. Wanting to declaw says to me they don't want to be bothered by natural cat behaviours, which means that this is not a cat-friendly home. Bengals especially need a very cat-friendly home.

I also want to mention that declawing is illegal in many countries, including the one I live in, as it is considered animal cruelty. Please think about this.

I would wait until you are not living with your parents and are feeling relatively settled before committing to a pet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Declawing any cat is cruel, especially a Bengal. Removing that last joint will inhibit their ability to climb and jump, things they do really well. It will also seriously effect their self esteem. I have half a dozen scratching posts around my home and my furniture still gets scratched and chewed. Your life will be changing over the next few years no doubt. Are you prepared to make a commitment to a demanding pet for the next 15 or so years? Cats crave routine and consistency. Without that they act out and problems occur. I would hold off for now if I were you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

While MY personal experience with the bengal breed has been (so far) vastly different from the above desciptions.....I DO agree with the above posters that at this time the bengal is NOT the breed for you.

I have been incredibly fortunate with my almost 5 month old kitten not being super vocal, destructive, she doesnt claw people/things, etc. she is very much the exception not the rule. My Suri is more like a very small dog than a cat.

That being said....she IS very demanding for love and attention, and HAS to be around me 24/7.

Your folks really dont sound completely sold on this idea. As far as declawing....Im going to keep my opinions on the matter to myself. Given that you are only 18, still at home and going to college, your life can take a turn in any direction at any moment. If youd still realy like a cat, Id consider a breed that is less demanding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It definitely sounds like your parents are not cat people :sad: Just wait until you have your own home to get a cat for all the reasons stated above. A bengal would be the last cat to get in your situation in my opinion.

Declawing is illegal in UK and many other countries. People think its just removing claws but they actually cut through bone. Its like having the top inch of each of your fingers and toes removed. Enough said. Horrific :cry:

When you have your own home, you can fill it with as many kitties you like!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully, the advice here has been helpful to the original poster! I'm glad some of you went into the situation of being young and making a long commitment to a cat before your career has stated! This person seemed to want a cat regardless. It's a huge undertaking, even for a moggie. Cats become members of the family and everyone in the household needs to be on board 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I didn't realize you were so young, Lalune93. I'm sure your boyfriend is young as well. Having pets and children make traveling without them a little more difficult as they need care while you're away. There are a handful of bengal owners who take their bengals everywhere and travel all over the world with them. One even has a passport! However, it's really bad when a significant other tries to make you feel guilty for having cats. My husband says the same thing, "We can't ever go away for a weekend because we have a cat." That's not true! The cat can be boarded. No, the problem is my husband won't give up golf on Saturday and Sunday to go away. If we do go away, he has to find a golf course -- which takes away from the whole weekend experience as I do not play golf. He just uses the cat as an excuse. Now that I have an "outdoor" cat as well, his owner could come down twice a day and feed him!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:09 am 
Senior Bengal

Declawing is a torture, is something against nature and it's very bad for the cat.
Can't believe that there are still countries where it's possible to do this torture to animals.

if you get a cat, any cat (bengal or not) you need to accept him/her with claws too....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't understand why people acquire pets and then seem to ignore them. Large dogs are tied up outside and never given any attention. I am so amazed at the number of "lost" dogs and cats that get posted to Facebook pages. Owners desperate to find their pets -- yet, how did the pets get lost? Stolen dogs are a huge problem here and I really do think many of the missing dogs were taken, but aren't owners watching their dogs? I would never have a dog that wasn't kept in the house -- I don't care how big the dog was. But, I'm moving off topic here. It's just a pet is a huge responsibility and I think some people are not prepared for it. Bengals, especially, are more difficult because they want the attention and socialization. Raiden, at night, has to sleep on the footrests of our recliners while we are sitting in the chairs. When we go to bed, he comes in and sleeps at my feet. He's always following me around. I can't get rid of him until he falls asleep for a nap! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree, Sherry. I know of a few people who have dogs and just keep them outside in the yard. Don’t walk them, don’t train then. Don’t really care, to the honest. Scrape dinner leftovers into their bowls and leave them be. It’s like some people get pets just for the sake of having a pet. Why? It doesn’t benefit the pet or the owner, and all it does it make the owner look irresponsible, which in most cases they are.

My cats are the first ones I greet when I come home. Even before my boyfriend! I always go over to them first, talk to them, give them pats, kisses and cuddles. I won’t leave them alone until they show me some love!! Haha. I feed them before I feed myself.

I couldn’t imagine having a pet who lived in the backyard, who I didn’t pay attention to or dedicate hours of my day to, every day. It’s cruel.