[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - F1 Bengal and/or SBT Bengal search... Breeder recommendation
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:20 am 
Bengal Cat

Hello everyone!

Some of you might remember me as Finn's mommy. He passed away a few months ago and I am still heart broken. Life just hasn't been the same, and I still cry at the drop of his name if caught at a certain moment. I do however think I am ready to open my home back up to another Bengal. Several reasons; One, I miss the Bengal life that Finn so kindly let me in on. Two, Nala my little house cat misses herself a play buddy and is driving her sister Margie who just wants belly rubs and to be fat and be left alone, insane! Three, I just need to feel whole again.

I know that no other cat will replace Finn. That's not my intention. I just want to provide a home, more like, share my home with another Bengal!

That being said, I have really been doing my research on the F1 Bengals. I love a challenge and I love the wild characteristics they bring to the house... No.. not just the looks, the characteristics as in behaviors. Of course F1's are gorgeous, but they are wild, crazy, energetic, trouble makers, hell raises, stubborn, problematic, unpredictable...etc. But I also love the beautiful rosettes and more developed look a SBT brings to the table...

Finn was a early gen Bengal, if only I knew which gen...but the breeder we got him from was less than reputable (We won't make that mistake this time) but he certainly was early gen. He whined all the time, he peed in the skin and bathtub, he played so rough I thought Nala was going to run and hide from him (she welcomed it and dished it right back though ;]) he played in water like it was no ones business... yes, he dumped his water bowl every time I filled it. He needed my attention 24/7. If he didn't want something to be done to him or with him or around him...you better obey, or else. He did hide himself away when lots of company came around. He had spraying problems until that got settled, but he never did quite realize my bed was not a litter box. He tore into everything. Most importantly the food bag...one day I found him scooping mouthfuls, and when I say scoop I mean he had his whole body weight involved with his mouth wide open, dipping is head forward and back to make sure he got the load, of food out of the bag into a pile he was planning on perhaps sharing with his sisters...either that or stocking up for tough times, maybe the apocalypse..who knows. -.- I should of known he was trouble when the first thing he did when we got him home was chew on everything and anything in my bedroom and he pranced around like he owned the place. But to say the least, he was AWESOME, and with all the challenges came great things too... he loved car rides, he cuddled like no ones business when he wanted to, he was so smart...he knew how to sit, how to follow. He was protective of me. He was so calm at the vets office at any time. He let you give him baths and clip his nails and brush him for hours if you wanted. He let you slip on a cute shirt sometimes, even though he didn't LOVE that. He loved his sister kitties and doggy, and never gave up on fully bonding with Margie although she didn't care for him too much. He was a ton of work every day, but he was my baby, and he was worth every effort and I would do it all over again.

So..yes, I know I could handle an F1. And I also say that each cat is unique in it's own way... I know people with F1's that are calmer and more behaved than their other Bengals or their house cats.

My question isn't around wether or not I am responsible enough or good enough to own an F1 but more so I'd like to hear your stories of your babies and if you had to choose again, would you choose an F1 or a SBT... and health wise, which tend to be less at risk of genetic issues.

Also I wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations for breeders within the Virginia area. I have two breeders I am currently speaking to, one that I think I may put a deposit down with... but I have seen sooo many of you give such expert advise and bring up good points that I may be missing...so why not ask! ** Also both breeders are not from VA, but both driving distance. NC so 4 hours and Ohio 8 hours...

I know that in the end, whatever choice I make, I will be happy. Finn as amazing, and he was from a breeder who didn't seem reputable, who didn't keep him clean...I met them at a gas station, and felt I rescued Finn rather than buying a fancy pet. I wasn't sure what I was getting or how he would develop, but I didn't really fully care anyhow...he captured my heart. I know that this future little gal or guy will do the same... but to be honest, I didn't plan last time and now my baby is gone and I am heartbroken..I really want to avoid a bit of that this time...as much as I can control anyhow.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 am 
Bengal Cat

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture in my original post so here is a picture collage of Finnegan!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry for your loss of Finn. He sounds such an amazing character and was obviously much loved.

I lost my baby Dexter at 9 months in March and it's still very raw. I miss him so much he was such a sweetheart.

I don't have any recommendations but just wanted to wish you luck.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your post made me laugh so much! I also shed a tear of two, as anyone who has lost a cat will understand totally. I can't stop picturing him shovelling the biscuits and I'm giggling as I write!!!!! :lol: You sound like a very experienced cat person! No advice from me as I'm still learning the Bengal world myself but am sure all the clever people on this forum will have lots to say. Good luck and hope your next kitty has half as much character as Finn! Love the pictures. What a very handsome boy he was.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have no advice to give on the F1 front, but wanted to send my good wishes, I can remember when you posted you lost Finn and it made me cry - he was a beautiful boy.

I also love sharing my home with Bengals so I totally understand your decision (and need) to be a slave to another one.

I'm sure your future addition will also be a massive character and melt your heart - Bengals are good at that - and I look forward to hearing all about your adventures with him or her and lots of pics.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:34 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement. Finn was special. Bengals are one of the most beautiful beings in this world, in my opinion, but it's the little souls that are inside of those beautiful beings that really makes them extraordinary! @eggman, I am so sorry for your loss of Dexter. I wish there was something I could do or say to ease your pain, but I know there is nothing. :[ it's awful having to go through it, and especially when your baby had so much more life to live. Just know that you gave Dexter an amazing short life and that he's looking down on you, your own little kitty angel. Be strong! *hugs*
And @spitspot, glad Finn could make you laugh like he did me! He was always up to something interesting every day, that's for sure! Congrats on being a new Bengal owner! Your little one will teach you a lot. And the people here on this forum are sooo knowledgable and kind, so you are in excellent hands!
@Tabitha, thank you so much for your kind words as well. Bengals really truly do melt your heart... And your heart just never really is the same once it's been there. Thanks for the encouragement, I much appreciate it!
Hope you all have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

An EG is not for every cat lover. And, as you've explained, no two cats are alike. A new kitten may never act anything like Finn. Basically, in your description of Finn, he sounded like any SBT. I've had cats for over 50 years -- and if I had to do it all over again, I would not have a bengal. I rescued mine from a neighbor who just let him roam the neighborhood. Bengals have way too much energy for me. They are way to vocal and insist on getting what they want. I love Raiden to bits and will provide for him until the end, but he is a handful most of the time.

You are brave for wanting an F1, which is, essentially, a wild cat. How one would get along with your other kitties, nobody knows. Knowing how an EG behaves and then actually having to deal with that behavior can be two different avenues. You'll have to make sure, first of all, that EGs are allowed by law in your area.

If you have the time to put into an F1 (which is 24/7) and the patience that will be required, and you have the funds and a vet who will care for an F1 (there are some who won't as they are considered exotic animals and not pets), then go for what you heart says. Just know that while you may be accepting of an F1, your other kitties may not. You've got to find a breeder who socializes their EGs. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:53 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the reply Sherry! You are absolutely correct, EGs nor Bengals are for everyone! And good grief are you right about their energy! But that's what I love about them. I do have a ton of time to give, no kids, and our kitties are our life! I can't say 24/7 because I do have a job, but certainly a lot more than most. We also have our basement built for the cats with climbing posts and scratch areas and toys galore! So we do keep them secluded on that level with a ton of activities while we are away, but other than that they can be wherever they want and I make it a point to be around them to keep super socialized.

As for the breeder, the reason I am not as hesitant about their EGs is because they are so awesome when it comes to socializing them! They start when they are tiny and constantly work with them and play with them and get them around other animals and kids. They post pictures and videos as they grow and they let you visit if need be. I also spoke to a few of their previous adopters and some who's cats have aged and they all say their EG is as friendly as ever, stubborn yes, energetic yes, but we'll socialized. Granted, mine could end up being that exception. But any animal can be that exception.
Yet, the SBT breeder has some wonderful kittens as well.

I find myself leaning towards the F1 but I just also can't get th SBT out of my head either! Maybe I'll get two ;p hehe JK!
Anyways thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am like you in a way and find the energy level of a bengal to be EXACTLY what I want. They are crazy and into everything and yes they are trouble makers. I love every minute of it tho. I can't tell you if an F1 is right for you just like I can't tell you an SBT is right for you. That is a decision you have to make with your breeder because only you know your lifestyle and dedication. I can recommend a great breeder in Ohio that breeds SBT and f1. That is Teresa at Tecspot bengals. I have spoke with her MANY times and the way she cares for her cats is like no other. I would have got my last kitten from her but couldn't make the 10 hour drive. She is TOP NOTCH imo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 am 
Bengal Cat

bkilgore, thanks for the reply! It's amazing how the trouble is almost something we crave huh? It's like if there is a day where nothing goes wrong then I wonder if there IS something wrong and I am baffled! I learned quick that you just have to go with the flow when it comes to Bengals! And I actually spoke with Teresa! She seemed very awesome. I although don't think I'd want to make the 8 hour trip and I actually chatted with someone from NC who is friends with Teresa and I think that's who I would go with if sticking to non VA areas, 4 hour drive! But I was hoping someone knew a good breeder in VA, although I am starting to lose hope lol. But Teresa did impress me, and my goodness her kitties are WONDERFUL!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:55 pm 
Bengal Cat

Awesome feedback dienekes, I am so glad your little khan is healthy and great! Any pictures? I always love seeing little babies! Also, is he an F1 or SBT?

I did reach out to Teresa and the only other worry is that the price is quite a bit higher than the other breeder I contacted. Now I know, you get what you pay for, but the other breeder also has some super sharp references and so it's not like there is less quality. But again, I did check out her kittens (online anyways) and they are super stunning!

The breeder that I've been talking back and fourth with for weeks now is Summit Bengals and after a conversation yesterday I think I am 99.9% won over. Just the fact that she's so passionate and her kittens have always grown to be wonderful in both looks and temperament and what I liked is she mentioned one cat that didn't seem to have worked in her home and she didn't hesitate to take the cat back.. A lot of breeders don't do that.
But if anyone wants to check them out and give me an opinion I would love it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sounds like you have a good plan! Good fortune, I hope you have as much success as we had.
Here are a couple of pics of Khan.

https://imageshack.us/i/eydyggzJj
https://imageshack.us/i/id74v6rgj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 pm 
Bengal Cat

Wow!! Khan is gorgeous! Congrats on your beautiful baby!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know pictures do not tell the whole story, but the ALC with Summit Bengals appears to be a well socialized cat. It seems that you are comfortable with the breeder -- and that's the most important aspect. There needs to be open communication between breeder and owner of the cat. I'm wondering how many breeders allow the father to participate in the raising of the cats. I read where one breeder accidentally left the door open and found the father in with the kittens, grooming them. She said those kittens were the most socialized and after that, allowed the father in with the kittens after a week. She said it made a huge difference in the kittens. Just wonder how it would go with an ALC in there with the litter.

I can honestly tell you're leaning toward the F1 .....