[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - CHOOSING NAMES - HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOURS?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:20 pm 
Senior Bengal

Cool topic.

Spike was originally to be named Remington. But he never responded to that. So one day I said, "Hey, Spike." He turned his head to look at me and meowed. I guess he liked that better. (We had a dog named Buffy at the time.)

Benny is a rescue Bengal. Benny the Bengal is not exactly original, but he knew his name so we kept it.

Jake's official name was Zunar J Doric 4-7. If anyone remembers the 1970s Disney movie The Cat From Outer Space you will recognize the name. Zunar J could communicate telepathically and told the humans to just call him Jake.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haha SpikeMom. It's great hearing how everyone chooses names.

My hubby has taken to calling Chilli "con carne" and Rio "de Janeiro". I think he does it just to be blooming awkward. We used to have a bulldog called Boss and he would only call him "British". Mind you, he would answer to anything bless him

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Faust was named by my husband... it's technically King Fausto of the Sixth Dimension. It was from a cult movie.
TICA will have him as King Fausto 6D when I get him registered.

Max came pretty much from Where the Wild Things Are, but I call him Maxwell most of the time. He'll be Maxwell Minou with TICA. His mother was Gogees' Cajun Rose, so we went with the Cajun-French word for "kitty." He was raised by an F1 foster mom for 8 weeks, so the "wild" name fits him well.

My favorite name for a friend's cat was "Kung Pao Kitteh" because the litter was born in a broken car on someone's property and she was the last to find a home. There were pleas to find her a home, and I joked she'd end up at the Chinese restaurant down the street if no one took her. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for the cat) she now goes by "Sneaker" because she's a slick little ninja and the quietest, sneakiest cat I've ever known.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wicked names Noodle! Love them

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

Yuki-means snow in Japanese, partner named him...our ragdoll is called Snowbell,my girls named her after the cat in Stuart Little so both have snow in their names which wasn't deliberate. I also liked the Japanese word for cat - Nikau from memory.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I tend to name mine based on pop-art references, which are timely and meaningful to me at the time the cat comes into my life.

So Neytiri of course from "Avatar", a movie that to this day I'm kind of obsessed with
Gaga for the infamous pop star, whose music I really admire, and I've gone to 3 of her shows. In hindsight the name really fits her to a tea :biggrin:
Serafina is from the sci-fi book series "His Dark Materials" (of which the first book was "Golden Compass", which I had finished shortly before I got her). Serafina Pekkala is a powerful and good witch queen in the story. Gaga very nearly got the name "Ruta", which was another of the witch queens in the book.

In hindsight it probably would have made more sense to swap Serafina and Neytiri's names (since the Neytiri character is basically a "big blue kitty") but oh well. It's now firmly in the realm of irony :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 pm 
Senior Bengal

My Ocicat is "Sugar Baby" a.k.a Beastie (or Sugar Beast, depending on what he's up to at the moment!).
Sugar Baby was named after my first Ocicat, Sugar Bear, who was a special boy that I will love forever in my heart even tho he passed 2 years ago from cancer... Somehow it seems wrong to call another cat Sugar Bear as there will never be another one like him, so I find a slightly different version that fits the personality of the kitty and just go with that.

I named my baby Bengal "Hunter Honey Bear Rossi".
Hunter because of the nature of the Bengal!
Honey Bear - Honey because he is sooooo very sweet, and Bear because it's the "family name"!
And Rossi after Valentino Rossi of Moto GP fame. Many times the World Champion winner! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:01 pm 
Bengal Cat

Didn't have a choice as the family knew what they wanted to call her before we got her.

Sahara - looks golden like the desert and would bring warmth to the home. Also the word is Arabic and all of our family members have Arabic meaning names.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ours have come from 2 shows we love right now.

Khaleesi from Game of Thrones, for our female; who will undoubtedly by our Queen. We just find it beautiful and strong at the same time. Rollo from Vikings, her brother. We thought that it paired well with Khaleesi, was a bit more unique than Loki; sadly Ragnar just didn't work for us at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

Our boy is called B'alam Quitzé which is Mayan for "smiling jaguar" or to be more precise, means "jaguar with the sweet smile" or "jaguar laughing"

We wanted a name that was different, but suited his personality & referenced the unique appearance that rosetted bengals have. It really suits him as he's a happy & playful boy.

I love everyones stories about choosing names - so many great names & stories!!!

luna22, love the Bleach reference! My partner & I are mad Bleach fans too - we watched the last episode of the Substitute Shinigami arc last night & are so disappointed we have to wait for the next (last) arc to be made :(

Yuki01, cat in Japanese is Neko, as in Maneki-neko (beckoning cat) - you've probably seen them before! (pic attached).

TigerLily, I'm also a huge Zelda fan *high-five* which is why I can't stop myself from asking: don't you mean Midna, from Twilight Princess? She's one of my fave characters, so I LOVE it for a bengal name :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My baby boy is named Benson. I was actually looking up lists of names online and I came across Benson and I thought that it would be a cute name for a cat. I also thought that it was kinda unique and I have never heard of another cat having the name.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We thought of loads of names for our four, unfortunately they were mostly girls names. We wanted some kimd of theme and things that weren't 'oh so common'. The mrs and I are quite into our cars too, so we thought of Evo, Nismo, Mitzi (mitsubishi) and Maz(da) but we weren't so fond after all. My daughter wanted to name them after the characters in Whinne the pooh *facepalm* but a stern NO was said to that, and that was a quick and easy decision.

We are currently quite happy with, Titan (of Saturn - one of the moons) Nyx (of Pluto - one of its moons - classical spelling as opposed to Nix) Vega (of Lyra - brightest star in the constellation) and Sirius (of Canis Major - Brightest star in the constellation) although Rega was an option, but that got replaced, as did another that I've forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Although my son chose the name Dexter it was with a bit of encouragement from me as I have loved that name ever since watching 'Dexter' the TV series about a serial killer.

So I suppose you could say Dexter was named after a serial killer? :mrgreen:

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie