[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Is a Bengal right for my family?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey everyone,
I just signed up to the forum today because I was hoping to get some advice :)
As of september, my second year of college will start, and I'll be moving out of my family house into a condo with a couple friends, and with my two kittens.
My cats are Pangur, a 7 month Oriental Longhair, and Grim, a 9 month Bengal mix.

Honestly, I think when I leave my parents will miss my cat Grim more than they do me x) The two of them work a lot harder than is healthy, so it's really great to see them come home and have something to smile and laugh about. Grim is crazy smart, and is always fully prepared to entertain with clownish antics.

The only problem is that she bullies my family cat, Marmaduke. He's a 15 pound orange fluffball, and is actually very good natured. When she starts a fight, though, he rarely backs down. So basically, he's a sweetheart who will never start anything, but you can be VERY sure he'll finish it. Marm gets along beautifully with my Oriental girl, though, who uses him like a La-Z-Boy. The problem with Pangur is that she doesn't play with him like Grim does! Marm was actually a bit overweight before my cats came into the picture, and by playing with Grim he's managed to get quite trim.

With all that said, do you think a Bengal would be good for my parents? Would it be alright with being alone all day 4 times a week, while they're at work? (I would have said 5 times, but one of them always works at home for a day)
And would the bengal play with Marm and cuddle with him, without beating on the poor guy? (The three were all properly introduced, by the way, so the bullying isn't the result of a rushed introduction)

I'd love to hear what you guys think :) And I've attached a picture of the lovely Grim, and of Marm + Pangur, just because.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Personally, if he's already getting hassled by a bengal mix then I wouldn't introduce a bengal. Bengals are typically quite high energy cats and they play VERY rough. When my two were younger I was never sure if their playfighting was actually play or whether it was an actual fight. :lol:

If he's not a particularly high energy cat and doesn't like being hassled then I wouldn't think about a bengal. He will be the bengal's replacement littermate and therefore plaything. And if the kitten is anything like my two, it will be relentless if it wants to play with him and he doesn't want to play with it.

On top of that, if your parents will be working long hours, then Marmaduke is going to be the only thing the kitten has to play with, with no distractions to divert his attention. I'm sure he'll have toys left out for him- but moving targets are always a lot more interesting than stationary ones. ;)

That's just my own personal opinion anyway.

Edited to add: just noticed this was your first post- welcome! we expect more photos of your critters, please. It's a mandatory requirement of being a member of the forum. :biggrin:

Owned by:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I know this is a bengal forum, but can you guys think of any other breeds that would be clownish and energetic without getting rough on Marm? And would be alright being along from 8:30am to 7pm four times a week?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

It's irritating having to stick to breeds, because I'm sure there are so many shelter cats out there that fit those criteria perfectly. Grim herself was a rescue, as was Marm.
The reason I'm looking for a pedigree cat is because my parents had a very bad experience with a shelter dog, and now refuse to consider bringing in an animal that doesn't have guaranteed health. Shep was a collie/shepherd mix, and one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever encountered (looked like a giant wolf), but he had to be put down too young because of extreme hip dysplasia. The poor guy was in a lot of pain toward the end.

So, I've been doing a bit of research and have sent off emails to a couple breeders, but I'd love to have some forum opinions :) Sorry if this is an inappropriate topic for the forum...is it alright to discuss other breeds here?

My parents love that wild look (poor Pangur doesn't get nearly as much love from them), so I was thinking a Pixie Bob, American Bobtail, or Highlander might do the trick. From what I read, they're all active and playful, but they're also friendly toward other animals.

Do you think it's any active/playful cat that would rub Marm the wrong way, or is it just that Bengals play a bit rougher than other breeds? I had to get used to the way Grim wrestled with Pangur, because at first it was pretty scary to see. Like a WWF fighter taking on a stick-thin model!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry but there is no guarantee if health with a pedigreed cat. The Bengal breed is highly susceptible to HCM, for example. Pedigrees are all subject to the potential illnesses of any other cat and, additionally, lack hybrid vigour.

Good luck to your parents. I think Marmaduke is a gorgeous kitty in his own right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A shelter cat actually might be a better fit. Maybe a slightly older cat, not a kitten, would be a good match. There are some dedicated breed rescue centres to consider as well. Although these tend to rescue from irresponsible breeders so could end p with a problem kitty

If your parents are very sure they do not want to go down that route, and would love a pure breed then there are a couple of considerations.

Older cats from breeders, retired queens for example. They will not have the energy of a kitten so may be easier to deal with but possibly slightly harder to integrate in the first place.

Breeds that may work, Abyssinian, Tonkinese, Burmese to name a few.... I breed Tonkinese and they are hilariously funny to watch. Excellent people cats so would miss our folks when they weren't there but would bond quite easily with another cat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I thought this was very cute, the three of them together

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I love them all.... :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

And your Bengal cross looks pretty nice.... maybe not so much cross... but we'll never know....

cute cat family!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To be fair, she looks very similar to my girl Pixel- even has the "I can get away with anything cos I'm so damn cute" face. ;)

Another thing to bear in mind is that not all cats pick up all the traits and personalities expected of their breed. My opinions in my post were based off my experiences with my two bengals. They are both very high energy cats and I think if I were to place them with a cat like your Marm they would drive him insane haha. thee are some members who would say their bengals are a bit more laid back. Their personalities can differ so much.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Seems an awful shame to split the threesome up...