[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - But I WANT a talker...
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: But I WANT a talker...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

Wow I hate myself for starting another thread but maybe this one's a good one to have on the records. Sorry if this has been covered 5 million times and I just haven't found it. :oops:

This is mainly for those of you who got to go visit your kitten or got video updates.

One of the big things that turned me towards Bengals is that they're vocal. I love cat's meowing and whining and demanding, though I know there's people who absolutely hate that. Obviously, I'll love any kitten I get whether it has a conversation with me or not, but I'll feel a little less crazy talking to a cat that talks back. :lol:

If your cat is a talker, did you find that he/she was the noisiest one in the litter as well? Or were they quiet and that lured you in, only to get them home and never hear the end of it? Same for the ones with quiet Bengals. We're they always the quieter ones in the litter? I know my breeder will match the best kitten to me but I know no one can predict how a kitten will turn out. So I thought I'd ask you all about your experiences.

This should be a fun one for you all to reply to. Basically, what was your first impression of your kitten? What did they behave like versus how they are now? Noisy as a kitten and still noisy? Or noisy as a kitten and quiet now?

I guess this doesn't only have to apply to noisy. Any characteristics really. So please share your stories! Tell me what your kitten was like when you first saw them with their litter and then how they were after a few months at home/at maturity!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cassius was the shy quiet type. Till we got him home. He's not stopped talking since!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You should come stay with us for a couple of days if you like noisy kitties. Dexter, our F1, doesn't meow. In fact, I don't even know what "meowing" is anymore. I think Bauer makes this little angelic domestic cat-like sound every so often and maybe this is the "meowing" that I've heard described in fairy tales.

No, no. Dexter screams. Dexter screams like somebody just told him the world stopped manufacturing crinkle balls. He screams like a baby that has a dirty diaper, on loop. He screams like someone is holding a gun to his furry little head.

When OH had his family visit we had his niece in her car seat sleeping in the bedroom and every time Dexter would "meow" we did not know if it was him or if the baby woke up.

I love every little itty bitty thing about him, right down to the fact that he is almost always searching high and low (mostly high) for new and improved ways to maim or murder himself. :roll: Afterall, we decided on an F1 because of their extraordinary quirks and because they are gorgeous.

But if there is one thing I have learned from having an F1, it's that silence, aside from being a majestic mythological creature in our apartment, is not always overrated. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm 
Senior Bengal

Tephie, I love that story! I can just picture it in my head. Nice quiet dinner and then screaming from the other room. Dexter sounds like quite the character! It'll be a while before I'm ready to tackle those early generation types! Actually, the part about deliberately trying to find ways to hurt himself sounds exactly like my dog... She's always playing this awesome game of "Let's Try and Give Mom A Heart Attack!"

I have a feeling she's going to team up with a Bengal and actually win the game for once.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Neither Pixel nor Widget made a peep when we visited them twice. In fairness, the first time they were still quite tiny and in a room with their mum. By the second time we saw them, their mum was already off trying to find her next mate whilst the kittens played with the family in the living room (she still had access to them but was content on leaving them for short periods at a time). Actually it was quite funny, she was pestering one of the boys who didn't know what to do with her. She was calling at him all the time and the breeder said he was so confused by the noises she made he wandered off, picked up a ball and brought it back to her to try and shut her up!!

Anyway... back to the topic in hand...

Widget was all cuddles at the breeders house. I think he was secretly the breeder's favourite as he LOVED cuddles with her.
Pixel was all about playtime. Was a bit wary of humans unless you had a toy. Didn't like cuddles and didn't like being picked up.

When we picked them up we expected Widget to be the brave one on the journey home and Pixel to cry out (as she seemed more timid). We were wrong. Widget cried his little head off all the way home and Pixel curled up and slept in the crate for the entire journey.

When we got them home Pixel was very timid and wary of us. Widget was bolder and braver. Both were still fairly quite as far as meows went though.

As time went on they both seemed to have a personality transplant. Pixel is now the biggest cuddlebum known to mankind and Widget is a lot more aloof. He likes cuddles after waking up but once he's had his fill he is off to cause all sorts of mayhem. He's actually the more troublesome out of the two now, whereas it used to be the other way round!

As far as talking? They both talk a lot. Pixel makes these awesome little 'baby dinosaur' noises when she's wandering about/investigating. When she's after cuddles she meows a fair bit and I can often strike up a conversation. If I use a certain tone of voice (almost questioning, I s'pose) she'll answer back most times. (They've turned me into a crazy cat lady).
Widget meows when he wants fuss too. He also wanders about the house meowing his head off. If I call to him he'll sometimes come trotting in so I think that's his way of communicating when he's looking for me/Pixel or just letting everyone know where he is. He also has this pretty awesome meow when he wants something, be it food or fuss. If I'm not doing what he wants quick enough he lets off this meow that sounds like he's saying "now" in a really elongated way. I can't explain it very well but it's basically like "NAAAAAOOOOOW!" He's a very demanding kitty!
They both "chirp" when they see something to hunt too. Be it birds outside or bugs/flies/spiders. If a fly gets in the house they'll both go bombing after it and will "chirp" at it when they know they can't get to it. I've never heard a sound like it before so it's quite funny when they do it.

I have lots of fun with my two. :D

Owned by:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great stories! None of the kittens we went to see uttered a single mew when we were there, I chose Willow as she was the most playful and crazy, and she's still that!! :twisted:
Willow does get talkative but thats only when she wants something. If we're not interacting with her she starts mewing and if we continue to ignore her she starts shouting at me! I mainly have my conversations with Willow when she follows me into the kitchen and I'm dealing with food, she'll sit by my feet and it gets progressively louder until I fuss or feed her! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haha love these stories :P

Eric wasn't particularly chatty when we went to see him, he does like a conversation now though, he pretty much always answers me when I talk to him (LOVE that :P), except for if I'm in the bath.... he's always in the bathroom with me when I'm having a bath, either sitting on the side of the bath trying to fish my toes out of the water, on sat on the toilet or somewhere in the bathroom anyway, but he will never make a sound. It's not the bathroom itself because when the bath is empty he will jump in it and shout for the tap to be turned on, it's only when it's full and I'm in it :)

Other than that he's a great level of chatty, the only times it appears he gets crazy shouty is when we've been away, when we got him back from the cattery a couple of weeks ago, he didn't stop running round and shouting for a couple of hours ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are crazy!

My girls didn't really talk, when I went to see them. On the way home in the car, Honey 'owed' and chirped, got home and until she settled she owd, chirped, chattered and growled but she only really talks when she wants something or is greeting you.

Rori on the other hand :roll: walk out the room MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, feeding MEOOOWWWWW, bored MEEEOOOOWWWWWW, wants in or out a room MEEEEOOOOOWWWW, see's a fly MEEOOOWWWWWW, you breathe MEEOOOOWWWW......get the point?

It's not a godsend for a vocal cat, bengals are louder than your average kitty, esp at the wee hours in the morning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

do you live in apartments?

I ask as they can be very loud and it could effect neighbors, which is something that you need to think about

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Owned by: