It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience with Bengal cross cats? If the cat is getting neutered so won’t be breeding is there much difference between a full Bengal and a cross, other than the markings (eg. Some white fur). Personality-wise are they pretty much the same as a Bengal?

My mum wants to get a Bengal and when we’ve been looking we have come across quite a few ads for Bengal cross kittens so we are interested to know.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a bengal X as well as a full bengal.
You will find a bit of negativity on here regarding the X breeding of bengals but lets face it, it happens.

There are some massive differences between my two, their build, how they walk/run, their attitude.
My X is more placid than my full bengal. My full bengal is a complete fruit-loop, not saying my X isn't but i think the best way of describing it is that he is more emotional than my X. For example, when my X is playing with his favourite toy and the other cat comes and joins in, he lets him or he wanders off. The other way round there is a lot of hissing and growling. Could just be the individual personalities tho - each cat is very different.

My X markings are a bit more blurred than my full (both marbles) and he has a white vest and white back toes, these you wont find on a full bengal, however his brothers didn't have any white on them.
My X although is more agile and adventurous, my full snuggles up to him at night and follows him about too.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's hard to tell really. They may have some bengal traits but there may be none. A bengals fur is so soft and smooth. It rarely is carried over to crosses. Even if they look like a bengal, the quality of the fur isn't there.

One thing to watch is that it is very common for people to claim the kittens are bengal cross and not so easy to prove. A bengal cross seems to be able to fetch a lot more money than a standard tabby kitten :roll:

This is a personal opinion and i do not mean to offend anyone who has a coss. I would never get a cross, one advertised as a cross i don't mean a moggie in rescue. A cross breed is generally one produced by someone who bought a pedigree cat as a pet and went against the breeders wishes (and against a signed contract) and failed to get their kitten neutered. They chose to use that kitten to breed from. Usually that desire to do it is based on money. They let the kittens go earlier than recommended, not vaccinated etc. This is what is considered a backyard breeder.

There is a reason pedigree cats cost a lot of money. It costs a fair bit to raise a kitten to 13 weeks old. Not to mention paying out for stud fees, health screening costs, vaccination costs. Pedigree kittens are often not weaned from mom fully for a lot longer than a cross. It costs to feed a mom whilst she is lactating so the longer she supplements the kittens the more it will cost you. I mad no profit with my first ever litter of Tonkinese kittens. It cost me a LOT to set up my breeding. It will take several litters to break even and that's if i get more than a couple of kittens in each litter.

The cross kitten will generally have been born to a mom that has had no health screening. No HCM screening to make sure there are no distinguishable heart problems. The dad will generally be any tom cat in the neighbourhood that is unneutered or another cat they have bought as a pet and kept entire.

I cannot condone anyone breeding crosses. They are generally out to make money :( And sometimes do not even care for their cats appropriately although that is not just BYB as i have found out recently :(

I would hope that people would not buy crosses but it is down to personal opinion really. I just think that, in doing so they are creating the market.

If your mom wants a Bengal because she loves the look and character, i would get a pure bred bengal. It is the only way you can guarentee what you have got. If someone is selling a 'pure bred bengal' a lot cheaper than you expect, allowing it to leave early and not registering it with GCCF or TICA then stay away. You will be paying money for something that you won't get. It will be a Bengal cross at best but most likely just a moggie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:04 pm 
Bengal Cat

Many thanks for the feedback, which is really useful.

I will advise my mum to wait till she can offend a Bengal! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

99% of them are 'pretend' crosses and are just moggies, I doubt your find a genuine cross, they why would you want to fund them? they dont vac them neuter them health test parents and give them away at 6-8weeks of age... Not for me!

Wait...it will be worth it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks.

I have a full bengal from a good breeder. A colleague got a cat from the RSPCA that turned out to be a bengal cross and seems to have all the traits. She keeps saying 'oh dont spend loads of money, just get a cross!' so it made me wonder, but I wasnt sure. Now hearing what you guys have said I feel reassured that my instinct was right and I'm best not getting a cross. Thanks for the speedy responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LucyD wrote:
Thanks.

I have a full bengal from a good breeder. A colleague got a cat from the RSPCA that turned out to be a bengal cross and seems to have all the traits. She keeps saying 'oh dont spend loads of money, just get a cross!' so it made me wonder, but I wasnt sure. Now hearing what you guys have said I feel reassured that my instinct was right and I'm best not getting a cross. Thanks for the speedy responses!

If they adopted a cat how do they know that its a cross? Alot of people just assume, but traits dont mean much, my ragdolls play in water and jump in the shower and talk alot...dont make them bengals :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Beat me to it Taylorbaby...

You can never know with a none pedigree what the parentage is for sure. I knew of a lady that had a bengal cat that she rehomed as a neutered adult but also had a moggie that was un-neutered. She used to sell bengal crosses and claimed to potential buyers that the bengal was the mom and would sell them for £250 each :shock:

She worked with a friend of mine and had told her how it was easy money because real Bengals are so expensive so there are always people willing to believe they paid good money for a bengal cross.....

My old moggie cat exhibited more bengal traits than my bengal :roll: who must have been at the back of the queue when they handed out bengal brains!! :lol: :lol:

I would plead with people not to fuel the trade of these kittens by buying them. Yes becky they do exist but if people didn't buy them there would be no money in it for them so they would cease to exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:
Beat me to it Taylorbaby...

You can never know with a none pedigree what the parentage is for sure. I knew of a lady that had a bengal cat that she rehomed as a neutered adult but also had a moggie that was un-neutered. She used to sell bengal crosses and claimed to potential buyers that the bengal was the mom and would sell them for £250 each :shock:

She worked with a friend of mine and had told her how it was easy money because real Bengals are so expensive so there are always people willing to believe they paid good money for a bengal cross.....

My old moggie cat exhibited more bengal traits than my bengal :roll: who must have been at the back of the queue when they handed out bengal brains!! :lol: :lol:

I would plead with people not to fuel the trade of these kittens by buying them. Yes becky they do exist but if people didn't buy them there would be no money in it for them so they would cease to exist.

just goes to show you really doesnt it what these people do/say :roll: :evil: and what some idiots will buy thinking its 'cheap' or a 'bargin' when will they learn that it never is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's true that you can never really know the parentage like that. My shelter moggie was advertised to me as a "flamepoint Siamese" and he's certainly vocal enough, but he doesn't at all conform to the Siamese type. He looks like he could be a traditional Siamese (apple-head) but even so, he has large splotches of color down his back that would never fly in the pedigree Siamese world. He shares some of the personality traits, but in my experience that doesn't mean much. Plenty of people on here have a wide variety of personalities in their cats, and most all have Bengals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Taylorbaby wrote:
If they adopted a cat how do they know that its a cross? Alot of people just assume, but traits dont mean much, my ragdolls play in water and jump in the shower and talk alot...dont make them bengals :wink: :lol:

Too true. My bengal hates water, so traits are not even 100% across the board in the pure bred cats :lol:

Lollo's first post summed it up pretty well.

Maybe your Mum could get an ex breeder, they generally sell for a lot less. Though I guess if she's got her heart set on a kitten then that wouldn't help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dunno, I ran across one situation when I was researching getting my two bengals, where one pretty well established breeder had a very apologetic note on her website where she listed her bengal kittens, that they also had an "accidental" litter of crosses, and an explanation of how that came about. Then photos of the kittens, a statement about how they were being raised with all the same care as their full bengals, same socialization, same medical treatment etc., and then how much they were charging for them (which was not much more than you'd pay for a full "moggie" kitten at a shelter).

In a situation like that, I think getting a cross could actually be pretty attractive option, and I fail to see the harm. Just my opinion... But I agree that just some random person saying that they have an unsubstantiated bengal cross seems kind of shady.

But to answer the original question... the personalities vary so much between purebred cats of the same breed that your question isn't really answerable. Serafina and Gaga are biological sisters from the same litter and differ in so many ways, both physically as well as personality-wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

brianj12 wrote:
I dunno, I ran across one situation when I was researching getting my two bengals, where one pretty well established breeder had a very apologetic note on her website where she listed her bengal kittens, that they also had an "accidental" litter of crosses, and an explanation of how that came about. Then photos of the kittens, a statement about how they were being raised with all the same care as their full bengals, same socialization, same medical treatment etc., and then how much they were charging for them (which was not much more than you'd pay for a full "moggie" kitten at a shelter).

In a situation like that, I think getting a cross could actually be pretty attractive option, and I fail to see the harm. Just my opinion... But I agree that just some random person saying that they have an unsubstantiated bengal cross seems kind of shady.

But to answer the original question... the personalities vary so much between purebred cats of the same breed that your question isn't really answerable. Serafina and Gaga are biological sisters from the same litter and differ in so many ways, both physically as well as personality-wise.

thats I can beleive though, and she brought them up vac them and generally if this did happen they sell for alot less and go at the right age, so I wouldnt dis-beleive them, but as for ads in the paper/online for bengals for £50 ! £100! even £250-300! not reg no papers, to me that = expensive moggie and Id rather go to a rescue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brian's response is why i said 'generally' in my original pots. I do know there are genuine mistakes. They can happen but are usually dealth with very responsibly.

My mentor had some 'accidentals'. These occured when one of her kids thought her bengal queen was crying because she was lonely so popped her in with a tonkinese stud :roll: Result: 2 exceptionally cute Bonkinese as i liked to call them :lol: :lol: :lol: Sold at a significant loss. I believe you can still register them with the GCCF as pedigree kittens but obviously not on the full register.... i may be wrong though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

how that came about.
ผลบอลมีเสียง