It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boundaries
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Everyone I'm new to this site.
I've had two beautiful bengal kittens since March and our world has changed forever they are stunning animals and totally hooked on this breed.
They were both kept in up until around 7 months after having all of their jabs/castration/microchip and we purchased a tracker for their collars. We kept them in at night and allowed them out during the day.
Two days ago my boy went missing late afternoon and after searching could not find him (this had happened once or twice before and was always right back with us by early morning the tracker wasn't working either!).
The following morning we found that he had crossed the field opposite up to the main road and been run over. We are so devesated for both us and his sister.
Now his sister is on lock down in the house and we are trying to figure out the best solution to letting her have some freedom whilst remaining safe.
We have heard about these collars that stop them crossing the boundary and wondered if anyone has any experience or if an outside enclosure is best? Any advice appreciated thank you

Post subject: Re: Boundaries
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and I am so very sorry for the loss of your kitty. I do not recommend an electric fence for a cat. They work for dogs, but cats can jump and can find trees and roofs to get around them. The easiest thing is to create an outdoor environment for your cat with a cat enclosure. There are thousands of pictures online of what you can do. There are portable ones, permanent ones. Large ones, small ones, expensive ones, etc. There is the "Purrfect Fence" as well. If you are planning on spending money on an electric fence, I would put that towards something that will truly contain your cat.

Or, you can train your cat to walk on a harness and leash. That means YOU have to be with the cat at all times.

Many people allow their cats to roam the outdoors, but there are many dangers out there that can end their lives. We can only do our best to keep our kitties safe.