It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spraying
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi. I have a Bengal, Jasmine. She is 3 years old, she is absolutely lovely and I adore her. She sleeps with me under the duvet and is incredibly loving to me. I have another cat who is 7, and a Cockapoo who is 1. All girls, all spayed. Jasmine and Dog play a long incredibly well and chase each other, and run about for ages. Jasmine has her own places, she has a bed 7ft off the ground, climbing posts, and a very big house. In fact I researched Bengals and dogs before I got the dog. Jasmine expects a lot of play and the dog seals the deal. However, she continues to spray on my furniture and soft furnishings. I can't explain why. She seems so happy but it is getting too much now. We have thrown out new furniture and she continues to do it even in front of us. The smell is so bad. I have tried plug ins and Calming sprays, and I clean with non perfumed products, shop bought and homemade. Any ideas please. She does not use a litter tray, never has. She goes in the garden. Please help - she just so adorable. I've shut the dog away and she goes looking for her and calls too her. I appreciate any help. It is alsways vertical.

Post subject: Re: Spraying
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum, Vicki. Do you know if Jasmine was spayed before her first heat? It is common for cats to start spraying if they are fixed later. You say she enjoys an outdoor garden! Do you know if any other cats are in the vicinity? Spraying signifies territory! While is may appear she is content with another cat and dog, she is marking her areas. And if she has access to the outdoors and there are cats she can smell (a cat's smell is 14 times stronger than ours), she may be making sure she marks against the other cat, although you would think she would do it outdoors.

In order to completely clean the furniture, you need an enzymatic cleaner. Nothing else is going to work. She will continue to go in the same area as SHE can smell it. I do think you need to bring a couple of litter boxes into play. She may not like the type of litter box you have, or the litter, so you may need to experiment. Get a hooded one that you can remove the top if she doesn't like to be enclosed. Try a different type of litter and Cat Attract.

While going to the bathroom and spraying are two different things for the cat, one has to be diligent in making sure the cat prefers to urinate rather than spray. If you Google the problem, you will find many solutions from cat owners in your same predicament. But, the key is always going to be getting the area completely cleaned. A product like Natures Miracle will clean and get rid of the odor. There are others on the market, but you need one specifically for cat urine.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Spraying
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

CAT DIAPERS.

This was totally not on my radar when I posted my reply earlier. They truly do make diapers for cats. They are just over $1 each and probably less if you buy in bulk. JewelsPride Cattery uses them when they show their Quadruple Grand Champion Solo. These shows are multi days so they have to spend time in a hotel. They put a diaper on Solo when they are in the room and here he is modeling it. He is one of their studs and he sprays. I'm not sure if he likes the color or not. :biggrin:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.