It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Posts: 1
Hello,
I have an almost three year old Bengal who is 90% of the time very sweet and loves laying next to me. The other 10% he is pouncing and attacking me by biting me. He's never broken the skin but it can be a bit scary at times. Any suggestions on how to teach him this isn't an acceptable thing to do to his human mom? I sternly tell him no and give him other toys to "attack" but he prefers my arms and legs.

Thanks,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 pm
Posts: 147
tpoturica88 wrote:
Hello,
I have an almost three year old Bengal who is 90% of the time very sweet and loves laying next to me. The other 10% he is pouncing and attacking me by biting me. He's never broken the skin but it can be a bit scary at times. Any suggestions on how to teach him this isn't an acceptable thing to do to his human mom? I sternly tell him no and give him other toys to "attack" but he prefers my arms and legs.

Thanks,


Welcome to the forum...

The issue you're reporting has been addressed repeatedly on this forum, few times in the past week too. Feel free to browse through the Behavior section.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 12
I know that sometimes it is overwhelming and you need to feel personally reassured.

I haven't got any advice really as my Bengal boy (20 weeks) responds to no - however he tries it on with my daughter and I've explained that he has to see her as above him in the order of the pack too, so she needs to work on firming up that no.

Could it be his age, and that final try for dominance before he accepts his role?

Remember, he's a cat, you are boss, and like all domestic animals they respond best to boundaries and consistency, if they can't do it once they can't do it at all, ever.

That's all I have :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8012
This is a common issue. It's more of a problem with a kitten than an adult! Has anything changed in your household? The least little change can create a new behavioral issue. Secondly, do you have a lot of wand toys for him and do you wear him out having him chase these toys? Bengals need more than just other toys to attack. They need to hunt prey and wand toys do that for him. I think if you wear him out over a 15 minute period of time, he will settle down (or maybe want even more play time). Bengals love to bunny kick toys, so make sure you have one next to you to give him.

Bengals can understand the word NO if it is used often enough. I know it is scary to have him attack you like that and you're lucky he hasn't caused any wounds. If you think there could be something more to this behavior, you can take him to the vet to be checked out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm
Posts: 640
I've had this issue with Babbage - now a little over 3 years old - he was very loving, but started to jump up on/attack me on the sofa in the evening.

Every time it happened he was stopped, then taken to his own room and kept there for at least 20 mins. When he came back and wanted a cuddle/reassurance he was given a good stroke and allowed to curl up on my lap.

I think that the issue started with issues of who is dominant between him and his sister - they are very close, but she was starting to take what he considered to be more than a fair amount of lap time.

He did it most nights for a few months, then almost nothing since, with the exception of a bit the other night where he clearly demonstrated that there was not any aggression - mouthing my foot/leg without his teeth coming into contact with me, wrapping his paws around me with claws sheathed. Still this got him a carry to Timeout Land.

TL:DR - consistent, gentle, firm, unwavering No, with cuddles afterwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 720
Does he pounce and attack you when you walk past or is is when you are stroking him? If he's after your ankles by jumping out and pouncing then it's probably play aggression. If he attacks when you are stroking him he is probably getting over stimulated so just stick to head and chin tickles. If he is kind of stalking and eyeballing you then he is being dominant and flexing his furry little muscles! My cat went through a stage of the dominance issues. You need to be calmly assertive, stand higher than him and if he tries to be higher than you, you need to push him to a lower level ie off the sofa etc. Loudly say no and try the time out room like Cranberry said. Try and play more, but don't play immediately after unwanted behaviour as he might think his behaviour results in play. Stay calm, strong and assertive. Try not to let him sense you are nervous. Good luck x

_________________
Melissa

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey