It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm
Posts: 9
Mr. Thia inadvertently got outside yesterday. Scampered across the room and when he slid on the rug in front of the screen door it pushed the door open and out he went. When I discovered the front door pushed open and no cat around I went looking for him.

He is 20 months old and never been out.

When I found him hiding in some bushes and tried to approach he went in to full attack and defensive mode. Snarling, growling, hissing and looking ready to attack if I got too close. I assumed he was terrified of being outside. I went and got his food dish and brought that to him. Same reaction, would not allow me any closer the a couple of feet. I put the food dish down and walked away, he didn't move. I sat down and tried to talk soothingly for quite awhile but his behavior would not change.

I went and got some heavy oven mitts and a cinch leach. After a couple attempts I managed to get the leach around his neck and he truly went absolutely wild, rolling, hissing, growling. I did manage to pick him up and with much struggling got him in the house. Then he would not let me near him to get the leach off, although he managed to get out of it on his own. For the rest of the day, any time I approached the growling wold start. Even when he got his afternoon food he would not let me near. I figured I had made an enemy for life. This morning he was back to normal, waking me up for breakfast and walking back and forth on the bed's head board. I was honestly concerned that he might attack me in my sleep.

Anyone had any experience with this kind of behavior.

He is an F5

https://goo.gl/photos/K3rn1jZopHq3LsxX8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8005
He is beautiful!!! Well, his behavior does not surprise me. It's a big ole world out there with lots of smells and things. I don't know if he was telling you he did not want to come back inside or if he was terrified of being out there. Once a cat goes through this behavior, it takes a while for them to settle back down, but all was well the next morning. Now you know to be super cautious keeping the door locked so he cannot escape. It is very possible he will want to go outside again. Hopefully, not.

I know it was a scary experience for you seeing your baby behave that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm
Posts: 9
Sherry wrote:
He is beautiful!!! Well, his behavior does not surprise me. It's a big ole world out there with lots of smells and things. I don't know if he was telling you he did not want to come back inside or if he was terrified of being out there. Once a cat goes through this behavior, it takes a while for them to settle back down, but all was well the next morning. Now you know to be super cautious keeping the door locked so he cannot escape. It is very possible he will want to go outside again. Hopefully, not.

I know it was a scary experience for you seeing your baby behave that way.


A couple months ago I thought I would take him out on a leach with a harness. I carried him out and set him down and he basically just froze and would not move.

I think yesterday he was simply terrified.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 pm
Posts: 147
You gotta be kidding!!! YIKES!

I'd never guess our Bengals could flip on us. Yes, obviously he was scared and worried. Yes an F5 has more wild blood than those that follow down the chain.

May I ask, did you ever see any glimpse of this hostility before? I read some Bengals get aggressive as they eat, especially raw food. Did you face that?

I do anything I want with my kitty F9. We play very rough all the time. But she remains sweet and tender indoors and outdoors.

I better check her vet, if I have a Bengal or a bunny ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:12 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm
Posts: 9
HassaanAbdeen wrote:
You gotta be kidding!!! YIKES!

I'd never guess our Bengals could flip on us. Yes, obviously he was scared and worried. Yes an F5 has more wild blood than those that follow down the chain.

May I ask, did you ever see any glimpse of this hostility before? I read some Bengals get aggressive as they eat, especially raw food. Did you face that?

I do anything I want with my kitty F9. We play very rough all the time. But she remains sweet and tender indoors and outdoors.

I better check her vet, if I have a Bengal or a bunny ;)


The only time he has gotten aggressive is when eating a certain snack that I give him from time to time, and that is not really aggressive, just a low growl warning. He is actually a very skittish and generally timid cat. That probably contributed to his fear out doors.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm
Posts: 9
Now he is virtually demanding to go out. If the front door is open, with the screen door closed and locked, he meows at it constantly and climbs it. I have closed the front door and he goes to an open, but screened window and does the same there, though going back to the front door and pawing at the blinds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 pm
Posts: 147
hkgar wrote:
Now he is virtually demanding to go out. If the front door is open, with the screen door closed and locked, he meows at it constantly and climbs it. I have closed the front door and he goes to an open, but screened window and does the same there, though going back to the front door and pawing at the blinds.


1) get a window hammock

2) if you have a garden, build an enclosed space.

3) take him out on drives and to the park when possible.

4) make sure to provide sufficient indoor toys and entertainment.

I read many complains that once a Bengal experiences the outdoors, he'll start nagging to stay outdoors. Thank God, I don't have this problem. Snickers enjoys outdoors and indoors without any nagging to stay or get outside.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey