It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

Morning guys, I have a continual issue with my 5yo male Bengal Aiko. Both his sister and him have been indoor only cats their entire lives. At our old house we had a cat run which they never used (its still in storage so I do have access to it)
My problem is this: My boy sits at the back door and scratches and meows. It slowly broke my heart so I gave in and allowed him supervised time outside. I was taking him outside 10-20 minutes a day which was fine for a few weeks. It was always at a specific time and we all seemed happy. But he's become unimpressed with his allotted time limit now and when I bring him back inside spends most of his day meowing at the back door. When I dont let him out he pee's at the back door and in our front room on the carpet. He still uses his litterbox too. He doesnt have a UTI and is otherwise well- this is behavioural.
My question is- WHAT DO I DO??
I can't let him out more, I don't have time to supervise and he needs supervision. I could put the cat run up but they never used it and the only functional places to put it is rather boring for him anyway (down a lane way, not much of a view). If I stop all access to outside, is this cruel now that he has had a taste or better for him in the long run?
Thoughts? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are several threads here about once the cats sees the outdoors, they keep nagging to go out again. Thank God I don't have this problem. We go out regularly for restaurants, drives, grocery shopping, walks, parks and off road activities. She enjoys going out and enjoys staying in. But I have created an indoor Disneyland for her.

My advice is:
1) make sure it's not mating associated behavior.
2) provide all possible entertainment indoors from tree house, scratchers, playgrounds, toys... etc. I recommend One Fast Cat wheel and boxes. Check them out online.
3) add catnip or mint plants to your home, and try it in his food.
4) last resort is to opt for Civa Feliway plugin diffuser. (I don't use it but I read a lot about it).

Good luck...

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The whole peeing issue is probably more like "marking." Outdoor territory for cats is immense. Your baby has smelled other cats. It is true that cats LOVE being outdoors. If you have access to your cat run, set it back up. It's quite a dangerous world out there for cats. There are portable enclosures that you put up and take down easily that may work. My bengal gets two walks a day and that's not enough for him. Now that we've put one of his cat trees out in his enclosure, he prefers to be out there in the sleeper. Cats just seem to love fresh air.

I take care of another cat who has always been an outdoor cat. Not that I like it because I worry to death about him when he's out of sight. He also scratches at the door to go back outside, however, he has never peed or marked in our house. My bengal loves to spray in the house (even though he sprays every shrub on our walks).

Your bengal is letting you know he wants more outdoor time. So, you simply need to provide him with something safe so he can enjoy the outdoors. He may not be happy with a limited area, but it's better than nothing.

And I would like to add that the owner of the outdoor cat I have been taking care of for about 2 years, moved recently and took her five indoor cats with her. She put three of them in her screened porch but since she also took some "feral" cats with her, she left the screen door open because she was feeding them in the porch. She had installed the Purrfect Cat fence. Every single cat escaped under the fence. The feral returned. She found one of her cats three weeks later, but two of her indoor cats only who got out have yet to be found months later. She is heartbroken she hasn't found them.