[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sleep patterns
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleep patterns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey everyone,

Just curious what all of your kitties' sleep patterns/nighttime routines are?

Even though I keep my door open, Miko hardly ever comes in to sleep with me. He actually prefers the cat trees/cat condo I made for him. He also never disturbs me when Im sleeping at night and he will often sleep through the night until I feed him in the morning. (Knock on wood)

Is it weird that Miko doesn't try to snuggle up or try to be in bed with me at night? Im perfectly happy either way as I like my space but he has also been sleeping a lot during the days, whenever I am home. He still plays hard each time and at least a few good play sessions a day, and he's eating/pooping well.

It's probably just Miko's personality, right? He fell into the toilet (nothing in it lol) a few days ago, and I reluctantly gave him a bath. He hated it and scratched me up real good when I was drying him off, but I have been feeling as though he's been less affectionate ever since the bath. Like he remembers lol. He used to headbutt me all the time which has promptly stopped

Do your cats sleep with you or outside of your bedroom? I have read a few similar posts to this from here, but it would be interesting to see if/how your cats may have changed.

Post subject: Re: Sleep patterns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quasar sleeps with me most of the time, curled up between my legs.
However, recently he has found a way to make a nest for himself on the back of our chesterfield. Last night, he snuggle himself into his hole and didn't get up when we went to bed. This morning, he was still curled up, snug as a bug in a rug.

Generally speaking, he sleeps in bed, but he does find other spots to sleep occasionally.

He hasn't tried to get me out of bed in the morning like some others' cats do either. He lets me sleep until I am ready to rise. Although, I have found that the sound of a cat barfing is the best alarm clock created. :rolleyes:

He hasn't been attracted or repelled by water really. He will play in the water bowl a bit but not so as to make a real mess. When we are camping, he will wade in the water on the shoreline or walk into a creek to investigate something he sees, but he is not the sort of cat who likes to hop in the shower or the sink when the water is running.

I think all cats are different, regardless of the breed. My daughter has 2 DSHs who love the water and will only drink from the running tap water.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden sleeps with us every night. Usually, he is at my feet, but I guess if I kick him at some point, he moves over to the hubby's side.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine don't sleep with me. I tried a few times and they'd play around the bedroom and make a lot of noise. More recently (they're almost 16 months old now) I tried again and Noha is ok just sleeping on the bed but Lily won't have any of it, headbutting me or assaulting my feet through the duvet which, needless to say, makes sleeping quite challenging. So at night they have free run of the house excluding my bedroom and do whatever they like. Which is mostly sleeping as I've never have been woken up by some excessive noise.
In the morning they sometimes paw at the door around 5.30-6am (which is when I wake up on a working day as I don't sleep too much) and sometimes they don't.

They don't care too much about water. They have their preferred sink where if I let the water flow they always come running and sniff around, just sit and watch or sometimes "attack" the flowing water. Lily ventured a few times under the shower but always keeping to a side, guess they are interested by flowing water but not that keen on getting wet.

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diablo will go through phases of sleeping with me, by my head, on my legs, on my back, and then he will suddenly stop. He used to throw everything off my night table at 4 a.m. every morning, because he wanted his breakfast! That's what brought me to this forum in the first place! He does not always like to be picked up either.

Star, on the other hand, is the total opposite. She is constantly purring and is a total lap cat. She loves to sleep on me when I am home, whether cuddled on my chest, in my arms, or on my lap. And, most nights, she usually sleeps in bed with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My two were absolutely not allowed in the bedroom as kittens, they slept in the kitchen/conservatory. However, once they outgrew the storage baskets under the kitchen counter that they took over when they arrived, I felt it was too cold out there. So they were allowed anywhere but our bedroom. I have now succumbed to them being allowed in the bedroom now but frequently wish I hadn't! Because I was the 'bad cop' who always had to move them from our bed at night, I stopped doing it, plus Jon is in the Royal Navy and was deployed and when he's away I like to have the bedroom door open so I know what's going on in the house....

Last night went like this.... Jagger was on the radiator bed in our bedroom. As soon as I got into bed, he wanted to go under the duvet. Then he came out from under the duvet and slept between my legs. Hendrix came in about 2am. He gets the hump if Jagger is there first so lays on top of me after kneading and dribbling all over me. He finally settled down but they were both up at 5am. Jagger wanted me to get up to clean the litter tray Hendrix had used during the night, so whined, played with the blinds, played with every toy that had a squeak or bell, played with his catit super circuit, jumped on top of the bedroom door and then finally attacked my feet under the duvet.

I didn't get much sleep and was pretty uncomfortable for most of the night! Not every night is like that, to be honest it's rare Jagger sleeps in with me, it's usually Hendrix who joins me at some point. Just one isn't too bad but Hendrix has developed this annoying habit of standing on me, kneading and dribbling when he used to just jump on the bed and settle down.

So anyway, has Miko forgiven you for the bath yet? Jagger doesn't talk to me for about three days after his spot on treatment, but gets over it eventually!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, Raiden was up at 4:30 this morning as he wanted to be fed. Since our outdoor cat was waiting for breakfast as well, I got up and fed them both. Raiden came back to bed and slept until 8 a.m. Then he was up and wanted the hubby and me both up! He yowls up a storm, walks all over our heads, knocks things off my nightstand .... and finally we get out of bed! It's like having a toddler! Then we listened to Raiden cry and scratch at the back door until we had breakfast and I could get him out for his walk -- in the rain and snow. Pretty pathetic that my life and schedule revolve around a bengal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

No Sherry...Pretty amazing that your life and schedule revolve around a Bengal :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can never predict from night to night what my cats will do :lol: No clue! Most nights Neytiri walks over and plunks herself down pressed really tightly against me, purring, as I drift off to sleep. The bengals are far more fickle. Sometimes one of the bengals will curl up against me, or sleep on my legs, or crawl under the covers, or sleep on their primo cat bed that I keep on my bed. Sometimes they'll climb up into a high perch and sleep. Sometimes they'll go downstairs and sleep down there. They do what they want :lol: The nice thing though is that for the most part, all three cats will snooze through the night, and when I wake up (whenever that is) they will start to stir, and by the time I've had a shower that is the signal to them that it's time to start to agitate for breakfast.

It's pretty awesome really, they are really well integrated into the daily routine, and they don't fight it, they just go with the flow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for all the responses! It was really nice reading and comparing what all of your bengals nightly routines are.

I am starting to suspect that Miko is currently always sleeping on the cat tree in the kitchen because it is warmer there. I sleep in the basement and it is rather cold down here, and it doesn't help that its the middle of winter in Toronto (probably minus 10 C outside right now). Like Brian's cats, Miko has integrated super well into my daily routine- he runs off from my room at around 11 PM every night (he gets fed beforehand at 10:30) and goes to his cat tree to sleep. It's pretty cute actually and I find the behaviour pretty interesting for a cat (to sleep all night). I often will find him in the same spot the next morning when I come upstairs to feed him at 7 AM.

But once summer rolls around, Im willing to bet that his sleeping habits will probably change.

PS: Cranberry - rude :P Miko deserves a 10/10 for being such an angel :mrgreen: And I wanted to use my mom's bathtub to "play" while we bathed- but instead I used the laundry room sink b/c my mom wanted me to. The water part wasn't actually so bad- the hair dryer was the part Miko really hated. Finally got a moment to whip out that "Germolene" you guys love so much haha

PSS: Sherry - yeah it is totally like having a toddler- a really nimble and slick toddler who can jump 5 ft in the air and nearly pierce through elephant hide with their claws haha. I can't let Miko under the covers at the moment, he seems to think everything under the covers is fair game to pounce at lol.. And you poor thing, you must have been so tired that day. The things we do for our cats :biggrin:

PSSS: Tabitha- Yes Miko has forgiven me. Although it took a few days haha. Nothing some freeze dried salmon can't fix, am i right? :lol: Any reason why your kittens weren't allowed in the bedroom? Im starting to think that Im signing my own death wish by playing on my bed with Miko. But he really loves playing on the bed / under the covers with this long string that I have, but Im thinking it might be the reason he loves scratching me when hes under there.

PSSSS: Jacqueline- I guess the name you gave him was entirely accurate ;) Does he still wreak havoc like that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So pleased Miko has forgiven you! The reason they weren't allowed in the bedroom as kittens was that you only had to twitch and you became prey! It was all too exciting for them and they used to jump all over us or attack any finger or toe that moved, so wasn't great for getting a good nights sleep :lol:

Like Brian, my two are fickle, you never know really where they will decide to sleep. Jagger will stay wherever he settles, but Hendrix always comes in with me at some point. I'm very privileged at the moment as jagger has been sleeping on the bed with me, but in a couple of days he will prefer elsewhere.

I'm convinced Miko is lulling you into a false sense of security, he is being such an angel! His true Bengal colours will come out when you least expect it :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Matt,

We are practically neighbours! I am next door to you in Montreal, Quebec!

I changed the feeding routine, so that Diablo stopped associating my getting up with him being fed. And, I also hid all items that could be thrown off the night table as well.. No, he no longer does this anymore! Plus, he has an accomplice for the last month, his new sister, Star. So, now I have double trouble, and I just love it.

As I type this, there are two snuggle bunnies on my legs! :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My Stacy is always rubbing against my feet at night, I am kinda used to the routine though.