It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Has anyone here ever introduced a younger female to an older male? I have had my female since October and just saved a 2 year old male from being put down because he was fighting with another male constantly . Not sure on how to introduce them to each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully, the male has been neutered and your female has been spayed. That problem out of the way, the new kitty needs a "safe room" to acclimate to the new environment. Usually, it is a kitten who is planning to be introduced to an older cat, but this is reversed. A safe room for the older kitty could be an issue. But, I would start there. The room can be a bathroom or spare bedroom. Put food and water, cat bed, litter box in there and confine the kitty in the room. We don't know if the new kitty will hide or be stressed out. But, spend time with the kitty in there, talking, and starting the bonding process. Bring toys and treats to help the process along. Most introductions can take a couple of weeks. Once your male has de-stressed and shows confidence, I'd start swapping out scents. You can rub a towel or blanket on the cats and exchange them with the cats. When it comes time to introduce the cats, I would not put them down together. Hold your female and let the male sniff. There may be hissing and growling, which is perfectly normal. Do not put them down in front of each other the first time. The male appears to be highly territorial and your girl may not want him in her territory! Once they seem okay with each other, you can feed them in the same general area and try to engage them each in play while being together. You will never leave these two alone until they are good buddies!!!

Know that some owners have put two cats together immediately and things have gone super well. Other times, it has not and you do not want to traumatize your girl and have her confidence damaged as then behavioral issues start.

I commend you for taking in a second kitty. I hope it all works out for you. You will need patience and time. Every cat has a different personality -- and it may be your girl who does not want a brother.

We are here if you need us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the info. At the moment its going great. Leo is very calm and accomidating to the room vwry well. No hidding at all. Cleo goes to the bathroom door and teases him with her paws under the door. We are working patiently with them. He has been here for almost 24 Hours now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I brought my female into our home at 15 weeks and she gets on fine with my 4 year old boy, luckily my boy is very laid back.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:18 am 
Bengal Kitten

We are looking into breeding them. Everything seems to be going good so far. Introduction will be done soon. He has been with us 24 hours now. He is in an isolated room and blending in very well to our home. No meowing or anything. Is there something I should do in certain areas of the house to avoid his marking his territory? Or is this something that is uncommon seems its a female and a male? Sorry for all the questions new to all of this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh dear -- neither of them has been fixed. Do you have pedigreed papers on both cats? If not, you won't be able to claim the cats are purebred bengals -- or maybe even bengals at all. Know that Leo will spray urine on the areas that he wants to claim as his own and you cannot prevent this. This can get extremely messy and is the reason many breeders keep the "studs" in an outdoor enclosure. Once the kittens are hold enough, they need to go to the vet for vaccinations and to make sure they are healthy. In a perfect world, they are spayed and neutered before going to a new home -- and they are at least 12 weeks old.

Your female should be at least a year old before you allow her to breed. If you got her from a breeder (the breeder either didn't get her spayed or allowed you to take her as a breeding queen -- or if the cat isn't a true bengal, then the "breeder" was a backyard breeder), then contact the breeder for guidance. You don't just get a male and female and think having kittens is a piece of cake. You do it right or you don't do it at all.

Based on your other posts, you have a busy family! Know that breeding is not a profit-making deal. I know breeders who have full time jobs outside the home. Many people see dollar signs, but in the long run, they are not there. Maybe Ontario Bengals will come on here and offer you up some advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you Sherry. I am aware of the time and everything else this requires. After the first time we will decide if tgis is for us or if it isn't. If it's not I will definitely get them spayed and neutered. Once again thank you for the information. I just don't want to be judged by my questions. Happy New Year to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Nobody is judging you! You are a novice at breeding. If this is what you want to do, that's fine. Newborn kittens are precious! And I know you'll want to keep them all. Let us know how things go.