[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Jagger v Litter Boxes
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jagger v Litter Boxes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I probably just need to vent as I'm really, really tired right now....

Earlier this year, Jagger started to wee outside the litter box and in front of me. He was whipped to the vet and there was nothing medical going on and as such it was stress related and put down to the fox ongoing issue I have here. I put him on zylkene for a few weeks while I worked on discouraging a fox from moving into our garden. All has been well since then although Jagger won't use the litter boxes in the conservatory anymore. If he needs the litter box I have to bring it into the hall where he will be trying to get in before I even put it down.

Generally, he doesn't use the litter boxes as he goes outside before I close them in for the night. It's winter now though and the outside isn't so attractive and he's in much earlier and I don't think he always has a wee before he comes in.

Bringing in a few other factors, ie vet visits for annual vaccinations, dental work and post op check up, plus the fox that has been looking through their cat flap, conservatory Windows and chasing them, he was on zylkene again as he is a very sensitive soul and gets upset easily. I took him off it this week as the fox I think got run over (although another one has turned up already it definitely isn't as brazen).

Last night he came in way too early and ended up having a fight with Hendrix, which in itself was frustrating as they'd been getting on really well. He was over excited I think as I'd been changing the lights on the Christmas tree (I'd been trying to do this while they have their last run around outside) and lots of chasing around started. As he also gets agitated when he needs a wee I opened the cat flap again as still early but he didn't want to go back out and eventually settled down for the night in the cat tree.

I heard him get up last night about 3am. I've been getting up to him lately as he will settle in the room with the Christmas tree so I tend to close that door when he's up and then he'll settle with me on the bed, but last night I knew he probably needed a wee. He kept circling the tray in the hall but wouldn't use it. I went back to bed but heard him get in and out again from the litter tray. Then I heard a different noise, got up and he'd had a wee by the fireplace in the living room.

I don't know what to do! Will I need to keep him on zylkene forever? The vet said they could prescribe him something for anxiety but I see that as a last resort. Zylkene is at least natural, I don't want to pump him full of chemicals!

And do I need to get rid of my beautiful Laura Ashley rug that soaked up a lot of wee? I've sprayed it and cleaned the floorboards etc and I'm waiting for the rug to dry. First place jagger went this morning was to check out where he'd wee'd, normally he waits at the bathroom door to dive bomb the bathroom mat.

Is there anything I can do that I've not done? I've got extra trays now. I'm going to try a different litter and I've put him back on zylkene. I hate to think of him being stressed out like this, I just want him to be happy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can save the rug by either having it professionally cleaned or using one of the pet enzyme spray cleaners that they sell at the grocery store or at pet stores.

For general calming, you could try using Feliway but it doesn't work on all cats. It's a bit of an expensive experiment, but when it works it works really well. See their website for video instructions on how to use the spray or dispensers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Definitely remove the rug for a while. It's a pattern now and you need to remove it to break the habit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi both

Yes I'm arranging for the rug to be professionally cleaned, I couldn't think of anything else to do really! Ontariobengals, yes I'll move it out of the way for a bit until I can get it cleaned. I'll clean the floor at the weekend as well. I've used stain and odour enzyme remover in the meantime.

I've got feliway plugged in all the time as this time last year they were fighting really badly, so I have the classic and the new friends plug in and on the whole, yes it does work.

I've thoroughly cleaned the litter tray in the hall, there is also one in the dining room and one in the conservatory. I'll do the others at the weekend. The hall litter tray (his preferred one if he does use it) now has clay clumping litter in it to see if he prefers that. We've used cats best oko plus for years no problem, this all started this summer, never had an issue before.

I blame myself, I took him off the zylkene too early I think. He's been through a lot in the last month or so and he likes order and routine. My other half has been away a lot and still is and I think he finds that hard, factor in all the other bits with an anxious Bengal and I suppose I should be grateful things haven't been worse! Jagger holds everything in unlike his brother who is very expressive and has a good growl at the foxes and wails all the way to the vet. Jagger goes into himself and goes mute.

Breaks my heart :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Clare, you have so much going on. I am not a cat behaviorist, but I know cats do not like change. The Christmas tree may be causing some issues as it is strange and new in your home. The fox issue -- well, that in itself has causes your kitties stress as you've witnessed it. I'd hate to think that little fox got run over, but I digress.

I recently came across something posted on Facebook on why cats don't use their litter boxes and basically, stated everything we all already know. There really isn't mystery here. Stress is the #1 issue. Relieve the stress and things get better. I think whenever a cat starts going outside of the litter box, you add another box somewhere. I don't know how many you already have for your two, but maybe four or five isn't enough.

The vet visits, dental work -- that's all in the past and he should be over it. The stress is current! We all agree the fox issue has a lot to do with it. A fox staring at you through the other side of the glass is daunting. He is going to continue this behavior as long as he is agitated. I'm glad you're trying something that is natural and not to keep him drugged up. These little babies are sensitive -- the least little thing can set them off in a different direction. I know you are doing your best and you are so frustrated at this point. If you can't talk with a cat behaviorist, maybe you need to talk with the vet.

Oh, and for the rug. Natures Miracle works wonderfully!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sherry

He had his post op check up last Friday, he really has bad associations with the vet now, he wouldn't even come out of his carrier, bless him.

Then I had visitors at the weekend who he isn't very familiar with. So it has been all over the place recently. Unfortunately I've not been great either so I'm very, very tired right now and need a proper nights sleep and a rest! But I have even more cleaning to do now and a new cat tree to put up and the old one which is on its last legs, dismantled and to the recycling centre.

I was upset about the fox too! I'm sure he was the runt from this years litter and now some huge skinny thing has turned up. Last night after I'd finally got both boys to settle again at stupid o'clock in the early hours, both Bengal heads suddenly popped up and stared at the window, there was something outside (not that I could hear anything!), no doubt the new fox and there was a dirty great poo on the lawn this morning. Grrrrr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well Jagger used the tray last night with no fuss or getting me up! So maybe he prefers that litter and the location in the hall.

Once I got over my initial excitement, I did wonder if it's because the tray hasn't been used by Hendrix. Hendrix used it as soon as I cleaned up Jagger's wee so now his scent will be there too.

I'll monitor who is using it and how often but not sure I can stop Hendrix using that specific tray! We have suspected this before but jagger has never used the tray so easily in a long time so I still feel progress has been made!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Really glad to hear the update. Sounds like a good start!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One step forward, two steps back....

The fox is alive and kicking and was eyeball to eyeball with my two boys through the conservatory door. Hendrix was going mental, jagger on the other hand is now slinking around on his belly.

Starting to wonder just how many foxes are in the area! Of course the fact someone feeds them will increase the fox population.

And I'm out tonight for my work Christmas dinner and won't be here to offer reassurance. Still, they are both in, I've locked up and they are both settled now so hopefully jagger will decompress and calm down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, can you cover or block out the glass of the conservatory up to waist level so the fox can't see in and the boys cant see out? Maybe a kind of low level blind that you could pull down after they come in for the night?

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Excellent idea, Melissa! Not sure why I didn't think of that which is why this forum is so great! I've ordered some frosted film which can't be seen through, so will get my mum to help me fit it over Christmas. Maybe if the fox can't see in it will get bored! I'll fit it to the level of the walls and then the cats will be higher than the fox so might not feel so threatened or have such an up close and personal experience.

I saw the huge one again yesterday! It is the biggest, lankiest fox I've ever seen. I imagine the density of foxes is increasing due to them being fed by people. Apparently foxes are naturally lazy so ther territory shrinks if people are feeding them and more foxes will fill their 'old' territory.

On the litter box front, I've never had to do so much cleaning out! Despite Hendrix also using the tray with the new clay, jagger is still using it. I'm not sure with Hendrix if it's the novelty factor. All trays are clean with fresh litter and I'm hoping Hendrix will start using the others so I can use up that litter and then I'll completely switch to the clay. Jagger even had an indoor poo last night, can't remember the last time he did that. Shame he had to get me up for it though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Had to laugh about Jagger wanting you with him! I know it's not funny but he's just like a baby needing comfort, bless him!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was going to suggest about blocking off the bottom of the window when I saw someone else had put this.

I saw it on one of the episodes of my cat from hell and it really worked, they kept it up until what was outside didn't come anymore plus they put out a motion detection water sprayer to frighten the animal away.

Hope you find a solution, I know foxes come alot, I have one that leaves good luck messages down my back garden path.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa, yes but I actually think it's because he wants me to clear it up straight away lol I'm going to get up at the moment as I'm worried he'll wee somewhere he shouldn't again, although he's been really good since I changed the litter and put him back on zylkene.

Hi Clare, yes I do have a water jet spray but I always get soaked turning the damn thing off! As its winter it's not really feasible anyway, one hard frost and it will probably split open. I'm going to get a better one for the spring as I'm hoping to break the habit of the parents bringing their babies in our garden. I've got a fencing contractor coming early January to sort out a few things as well.

We've had another fox incident this morning, Hendrix was chased up a neighbour's tree by the big huge one that has appeared. And then, when they were both indoors, a fox was on their step to the cat flap looking in. Fortunately only I saw it, they were both in the hall.

We've always had foxes here, but this year has been like a plague of foxes, all of whom want to torment my boys!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't want to jinx myself but I think we made progress last night...

I changed all the other litter trays to the new clay clumping litter this weekend as they were basically only using the one tray in the hall. Hendrix decided he preferred the clay litter too and only used a tray with the old litter if jagger refused to let him have a poo in the hall tray.

I didn't clean the hall tray though, I swapped it with the conservatory tray so jagger could smell his scent and possibly encourage him to use it out there again. I didn't really expect anything though. But this morning, there was a wee in there - yay! Pretty confident it's Jagger's as it was under the rim, he always tucks his bottom under the rim whereas Hendrix has his paws tucked under the rim so his wee is usually in the middle of the tray.

Jagger seems to be having more regular wee's now too instead of hanging on until he's literally bursting which must be better for him.

Jagger also used the litter tray cupboard last night which he's only used once before and missed the tray. The tray is fairly small in Bengal terms and it's always been hendrix's toilet before. Hendrix had a huff and puff about jagger using it but I was thrilled.

I have put privacy film out in the conservatory on the door the fox looks through so I'm hoping jagger feels less threatened out there now.

Neither of them are doing their business outside so the fox threat is obviously still an issue and they will pretty much stay in when I'm at work and not around to keep an eye on things and rescue them if need be.

I'm not getting too excited but I do feel I'm getting somewhere now, I have to clean the trays pretty much immediately they've been used or jagger won't use them. In fact they both wait for me to get home from work and there is a toilet run! Jagger will gave a wee, I'll clean it up, Hendrix will then have a wee and possibly a poo. Heaven forbid they should use the trays when I'm not there to instantly clean up after them :lol: