It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What does it mean !!??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello guys,

We have a female bengal (1 year old) and, sometimes I leave our house for the chalet and, I work from there 2-3 days a week and, my wife keep telling me that every time I leave the house the cat becomes super quiet compared to when I'm over there.

I'm the one who plays with her 90% of the time.

So I was just curious ... is there any specific reason why she's more excited when I'm there and why she's more of a "princess" in terms of her attention?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bonding.

You play with her 90% of the time - that means you are her main human. Running on 10% attention when you go away, she is probably quite bored, in a way you are lucky that she seems to "power down" and await your return as many a bengal would be getting bored, restless and into trouble.

For Nala's sake, I'd suggest that you try and get your wife to play with her more and improve their bond, it is never likely to match the one you have, but a good bond with someone who is looking after Nala for days on end would be a good thing to work towards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great advice, Cranberry. Separation anxiety is real in cats. Your wife definitely needs to play a more active role when you are home so that she can continue that role when you are gone. Note that cats and bengals in general bond with ONE individual and that has been YOU. Have you thought about taking Nala with you to the chalet? OR are you there trying to actually accomplish some work? :biggrin: You might try this one time and see how she behaves or if her behavior does not change. But, seriously, your wife needs to become as involved with the cat as you are. You should see a huge difference.