[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My flabber is gasted - in a very good way
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Babbage has always been nervous, one to run and hide when the door bell rang, or even worse, when my friend and his little lad come over - when he is the cat version of Usain Bolt. You might see a flash of brown go past as he breaks the speed of sound to go and hide under the furthest corner of my bed. It is not that the lad has ever done anything to upset Babbage, but Babbage has got it into his mind that he is some sort of devil monster. Every encounter has been one of fear and running and hiding, only ever coming out when the child-beast is certainly gone.

Today, I met up with my friend and his boy and came back to mine for a cup of tea. They sit down and I am sorting out the drinks when I see that Babbage has come out from under the bed and is in the hallway, then almost in the living room, then hallway, looks to me for reassurance, bedroo... no, stay in the hallway.

Over the course of 40 minutes or so, more than 2 years of behaviour is reversed, still decidedly wary, he came into the living room, skirted around the back of the furniture, came ever closer and ended up getting treats from the lad and ever-so-nearly playing with him.

I am so happy to see this. If you'd told me that this would happen today I would have never have believed it.

And now he is between me and the keyboard, head snuggled in, padding away at me and purring and wanting his tummy to be rubbed.

It has been a great day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My two run and hide when people come over. My next door neighbors come over once or twice a month now and now my two come over and demand pets from them! I think they are just used to them now and would run and hide if someone different came over until they got to know them and their behavior. It's a wonderful thing to see our cats have confidence with others around so they can experience their beauty too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden does not like company, although he will eventually come out to smell and maybe get head rubs. Luckily, the company we get have cats of their own, so they are kitty lovers. They just ignore Raiden until he gets close. He never sticks around them -- mostly curious! Now on our walks, there are two young children who love to run over to him and Raiden runs away. I tell them to not do it, but they are young and get excited. They call Raiden a "cheetah." Happy Babbage has "floored you." Wish I could have seen the expression on your face.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I saw him creeping into the hallway, all taught muscles and trying to see round corners and I really couldn't believe that we had, for some unknown reason, got that far. I really was shocked when he slowly moved into the living room and expected at any moment that he'd bolt back under the bed.

2 years of getting my friend to not ring the doorbell as it would cause Babbage to immediately run under the bed, then having Babbage realise that the phone ringing could be a good reason to run under the bed ( they are smart sometimes ) and it is like he just decided that he wants to come out and see what is going on.

I don't understand it, but it is a great change in behaviour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden gets really edgy when he hears someone approach the front door. He starts running around with his ears pointed straight up in the air. Sort of lets me know someone is coming before they actually get here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's fantastic! It could be that the child is maybe not as noisy or now that he's getting older he smells differently so he's not so scary.

We have a moggie who for all intents lived in our master bedroom at our last house - by her choice - when we moved a couple of years ago we tried keeping our bedroom door open but she wasn't having it then all the sudden one day she decided the house wasn't so scary. Now we rarely find her in our bedroom, she's usually in the living room or dining room.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think cat's personalities just naturally change as they mature. They are not one way their entire lives. They go through phases. Also I find if I am relaxed and it is a casual visit, they are more likely to join in. If it is a big tadoo and I am preparing for days and the furniture is moved around and special place settings adorning tables, they pick up on my stress level and hide when people arrive. Of course after a few hours of wine and merriment the mood is very light and happy, maybe it's getting dark out...then they usually parade around and allow the humans to see them, especially if we are all out on the patio.