It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:36 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Help. We just got a 8 month old marbled bengal female 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. Didn't have this problem until recently and it's not all the time. She has pooped on my sons bed 3 times now. She uses the litter box and I keep it super clean. She hasn't done anything anywhere else except on one bed in the house. Any ideas as to why she would be doing this and and help would be appreciated to help me stop this. We love her but if this continues we may have to find a new home for her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second of all, please don't be so quick to give up. Did you know what you were getting into with a bengal, of all cats? The first thing you need to do is take your kitty to the vet along with a stool sample. Let's make sure there is not a parasite or something going on medically with the kitty.

Secondly, be glad it's not urine, which is much harder to deal with than picking up some poop. If everything comes back clear, then I would suggest you keep the door to your son's bedroom closed at all times. I might also consider adding a second litter box somewhere (not your son's room). You want to make it convenient for the kitty to use it.

Above all, it's only been 2-1/2 weeks. Going to a new home is very stressful for a kitty, especially an older one. I read all the time how a bengal who has been re-homed many times has been traumatized and has behavioral issues. So, tossing this baby back into the re-homing ring is not going to help her at all. Behavior modification takes time and patience and you obviously have children you have to take care of as well.

Bengals are challenging. They don't all pee and poop outside of the litter box, but (in general), they are highly vocal, have so much energy, are extremely social and want to follow you around and be in the same room.

I hope you are willing to take the time patience to solve the situation. Your bengal should have a tall cat tree, lots of wand toys to chase around. Bengals need stimulation and interaction, unlike many cats that sleep 20 hours a day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there. Your kitty is pooping on the bed because she is territorially insecure. She wants to mix her scent with yours and claim the territory. Yes, as Sherry said, keep your son's door closed for the time being. Did you put her in a safe room when you got her to make her feel secure, then slowly give her the run of the rest of the house? Two and a half weeks is a drop in the ocean. Please don't give up on her. She needs time, patience and understanding. Increase the litter tray numbers and make sure she has a high cat tree she can call her own and lots of lovely comfy beds. She needs to feel safe in her environment so she feels the need to stop marking it with poop! Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much for the information. It is much appreciated. This is completely all new to me. She is definitely loved àwe have 5 kids. 9,7,6,3 and 3 months old. I Am not giving up on her. I fell in love with her the minute we got her. She was introduced very slowly and calmly when we brought her home.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My goodness that is a lot of work for you with all those children and a baby. I stopped at two kids and that's hard enough work!!! No matter how much your children love her and are calm around her, it could be causing her stress, as even if they are perfectly behaved, kids are still louder than adults and move faster and more erratically. I would make sure she has LOTS of high perches ie cat trees, shelves and beds up high. She needs to know she is totally safe and can watch your children play, make noise and run around etc from a high place of safety. She needs a place that is hers alone in each room to make her feel welcome and secure. Make sure the kids know the cat tree is not for them to climb, but for the cat only!!! It is really hard as the kids want to shower the kitty with love and hugs and it is a process to teach the kids 'cat body language'. My two are just about there at 11 and 14. I still have to say to my 11 yr old when she insists on hugging Oscar - "do you really think Oscar is enjoying that?" If I had a £ for every time I said to her " I really think Oscar would just prefer a tickle under the chin" I would be a rich woman!!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You certainly have a bustling household. Your children are so young and most children get very excited around a kitty cat -- they all want to hold it, pet it. It can be upsetting to a cat who just wants to be left alone, so make sure that this baby has a spot that she can get away and be free from the handling and excitement. Some cats tolerate noise better than others (mine likes it nice a quiet).

You are doing a great job of holding it all together, but fixing the pooping situation will take some of your time. You need to "think" like a cat and what it must be like for her in a new home with LOTS of new people. If you don't already, please purchase a tall cat tree so she has a safe haven. Even better if it has a little kitty condo in it where she can snuggle up and feel safe. I am sure with time, she will settle in. Try to keep the youngest children from chasing her or running up to her. She may not be used to smaller tykes. Even toddlers seem like giants to a kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:33 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much ☺

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please keep us updated on how things are going.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:25 am 
Bengal Kitten

Will do ☺

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

So I am happy to say that it only happened twice. The problem reaolvrd its self. Cleo is diing great. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So, it appears you are getting a second kitty now! Know that the pooping may start again. Hopefully, you will have THREE litter boxes. Any type of stress can trigger strange behavior and adding a new kitty will certainly do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

So far so good. Things are going great