It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fifth Generation Kitten
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone had information in regards to a fifth generation bengal kitten?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

An F5 bengal means it is five generations from the Asian Leopard cat. F1's through F3's are considered "early generation" bengals. An F4 is considered to be as domesticated as any other cat, so an F5 would be as well. An F5, depending on the pedigree, has about 15% wild blood. I have an F9 that has 13% and he's as tame as they come.

An F5 would be as sweet and gentle as an F10. You were not really specific on what you needed to know, but an F5 should not scare you away if you want a bengal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I had questions in regards to their temperament and also wanted to know if Bengals were needy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The temperament of a bengal is to be sweet. Bengals can be needy cats because they are very social and bond closely with their owner. They will follow you around, need to be right next to you or in the same with you. They will come to you when they want to play, when they want to be fed. I would say bengals are much more "needy" than a regular domestic cat who is happy to wander into another room and sleep the day and night away. A bengal will usually want to sleep next to you at night. These traits are not a bad thing, but they do require an owner who will tolerate and give a bengal what it needs. They are gorgeous cats, but they are not for everyone. They are a hybrid and are totally different from any other breed of cat (outside of the other hybrid -- the Savannah). Bengals are also very vocal and will just walk around crying -- loudly at times. One has to be prepared for a bengal, whether it is an F1 or an F12.

So many bengals end up being rehomed because the owner is not prepared for the challenges a bengal brings to the household. There are so many gorgeous breeds of cats, if you are looking for a purebred cat, there are many that are much much more self-sufficient such as Maine Coons or Ragdolls, even Burmese and Russian Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the information. The Breeder that I plan on purchasing the kitten from also sd that Bengals require a lot of attention. I still have another two weeks to make my final decision on whether or not this breed is for me.