[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Anyone with a Bengal and another Cat in the House?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:03 am 
Bengal Cat

I've had Deeks, who is now three-and-a half years old, since he was eight weeks old. He has seen other cats outside when we go for walks and he usually wants to chase them home or shall I say out of his area (where we live). So I'm wondering how Deeks would take to another kitten or cat coming into our home. Are there any Bengal owners out there who have adopted another kitten or cat, not a Bengal, and brought it into the home? If so, I'm curious to know if or how your Bengal cat took to the new feline addition? Did it take some time before the two warmed up to one another and became friends-if at all? I was told that it's a good idea to put the two cats in separate rooms for awhile and let each smell the other from under the door. Anyone have any experience with bringing a new kitten or cat into the home to join the Bengal, which has already marked his or her domain? Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:01 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ours wasn't exactly in that order, but we have 2 bengals and 2 dsh.

Both DSHs can keep up with our bengals, as I believe they were socialized closer to the domanant bengal personality in the household instead of taking purely DSH characteristics.

I would just be sure that you recognize that energy levels differing drastically can cause an issue (apart from territorial behavior). We have 4, so if Carbon goes up to Pixel and she isn't happy, she lets him know and he goes and finds Digit to play with - if he didn't have anyone else, he might annoy her to the point of outburst.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:53 pm 
Bengal Cat

You are definitely right regarding the mood of the Bengal in that if they're not in a good mood, you can certainly tell by the way they look at you when you talk to them or offer them something. Deeks sort of looks at me with a frown and then looks away as if to say "I'm not in the mood" or "it's not a good time to ask me". So I understand when you describe Carbon approaching Pixel when she's not in a good mood. In essence unlike myself, a new feline member might actually make contact with Deeks when he isn't particularly in a good mood and the result might involve more than just a look.
However wouldn't you think that might be the case until they get to know and understand each other's habits and moods? After-all it would take some time before the cats get to know one another. I guess my question is will a Bengal own up to a new feline member after awhile and by a new member I'm referring to a regular house cat?
Thanks for sharing you feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Male bengals are highly territorial! Plain and simple! I take mine our for two walks a day and if he sees another cat, he usually just lays down and starts howling. He knows he can't get to the other kitties. I take care of an outdoor cat and Raiden and Legs are almost friends. At least they don't go after each other. Both are males but have learned to co-exist. The outdoor cat never comes inside the house. That would spell trouble.

Only you know your male bengal. If he is aggressive toward other neighborhood cats, he may not accept another cat in his space inside the house. Many members here have bengals and regular kitties. But I think it depends on the order you get them. I don't know whether an older male bengal would do better with a much younger kitten or whether it would be overbearing because the new cat is smaller and less confident.

Should you decide to get another cat, the new cat definitely needs to have a safe room. It's not smelling under the door. You have the cats place their scent on blankets, towels, cat beds, and then you switch them out with the other cat. This needs to be done for a few days. Introducing the cats is not just opening the door and letting them go at each other. Someone needs to hold the new kitty. Once the safe room is no longer needed, feed the kitties in the same general area, but not right next to each other. Put them in the same room and engage them in play with toys (you may need two people for this). Then you can attempt to have them sniff each other out. And you never leave them together unsupervised until they are best friends. Know that this can take 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or never!!! It's just the chance you take. Each cat has its own personality and you simply have to find one that will blend in with your male bengal.

Raiden will always be an "only" child because I know he would not tolerate another cat being in the same house.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got my two bengals (females) at about 12 weeks, and then about 3 months later I got Neytiri, my Oriental Shorthair female (at about 13 weeks).

Gaga took to Neytiri immediately. She was motherly, licking Neytiri and playing with her really gently, then hanging around her and sleeping near her. It was really sweet. Serafina initially wanted nothing to do with Neytiri. Hisses and growls. It took her about a week to "calm down" and fully accept Neytiri's presence in the home. They were kept apart with short introductions, and I'd abort the introduction the moment there was any sign of unhappiness or hostility.

Now about 5 years later, both bengals remain willing roommates with Neytiri, but not really friends nor playmates. They never sleep together, and very rarely play together (although when they do play, it's one-sided, them chasing Neytiri). No real hostility other than occasional squabbles between Neytiri and Serafina about which cat has the right to sleep where (particularly on my bed).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a male 2 year old DSH when I got my first Bengal (female) and he hated her. She would often try to play with him being a kitten etc and he would attack her and then run away. He was fine with most other cats, I actually wonder if it's due to bengals being a lot more muscular and having a higher energy level. By a year she was like a little body builder next to him and she was a small Bengal 8lbs. She would often end up with abscesses and issues with her head she needed two eye operations due to him ripping both her third eyelids and we weren't sure what was causing it although we suspected it was him, these stopped once our DSH passed of cancer so I'm thinking he was attacking her head and because she had such a high threshold for pain it was hard to realise something had happened until the abscesses came up.

If your boy is a very energetic male Bengal that can accept other cats think very carefully about what type you are going to get. Don't get a tiny female DSH because she will get beaten to a pulp. You will need to watch them whenever they are interacting and If you are getting a cat for him I personally would advise against it. I very rarely hear of bengals and DSH getting along as great friends it's always they will tolerate each other and you often have to rescue and section off the DSH when the Bengal is in zoomie mode.

If you want another cat for him to play with get a female Bengal; she won't threaten him territory wise and she will be better equipped to cope with how athletic he is. If you want to really go down another breed or moggy route pick the cat very carefully there have been so many horror stories of people needing to give up a moggie kitten due to the Bengal bullying.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:02 am 
Bengal Cat

I took care of a male DSH in my apartment when Mercury was 1.5yrs old for a few months. Mercury is quite aggressive towards other cats. He either beat or chase away any adult cats nearby. But with proper introduction, he was able to live with the DSH peacefully in a few days. Check out some Galaxy's video about introduce a new cat, I feel his way is better than some other approaches online.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have a 9yr old dhs and he and King get along perfect.The vet was actually shocked. She said jus watch them & look for any broken skin/marks which would be a sign of them playing to rough. They chase each other around, wrestle, and jus seem to love each other. I haven't noticed any aggression between them. Now King is only 3 1/2 mos, so how they will be as he gets older I dunno, but for now I'm very happy with how they are together. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a female Tonkinese when I bought my Bengal Max. They got on ok straight away two years later I got two Tonkinese kittens and Max hated them. He never really adapted to them although he learned to tolerate their existence! A year later we had our first Tonkinese litter, we've had several since. Max is actually a little scared of the super confident little kittens! He shares his home with two loud entire females who love him when they're on heat (which scares the hell out of him). An older Tonkinese who he likes. And two neutered female Tonkinese, one of which bops him on the head at every given opportunity and the other is partially sighted and ignores Max completely!

If I'm honest I think he'd be happier as an only cat.