[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - We've Only Just Begun!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: We've Only Just Begun!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:32 pm 
Bengal Cat

Regarding "Lucy", our now 9 week old Bengal kitty.

We've had short and long hair cats in the past, none of them pedigree. So little Lucy is our first young kitten and our first Bengal. I don't know why the breeder let us take her at barely 8 weeks old but must say Lucy seems to be the perfect kitty. This could be beginners luck or could be a testament to how the breeder socializes with her kittens. Lucy came into our house perfectly litter trained, sociable, and apparently very happy. There is just my wife and I in the house and we are both older. Lucy very much wants to leave the confinements of her safe area and explore the rest of the house. Although she is under 2 pounds, she seems to be all muscle and very adept at using her claws for climbing. Just yesterday she managed to get to the top crows nest of her 65" high tree, as she has to keep an eye on what the humans are doing. This cat is beyond alert, she is aware! Aware of our every move and what is in our hands. Her eye discharge looks totally cleared up although I still need to give her a drop a day for a few more days. She hates this but, as much as she squeals in my hand, as soon as I put her down she's back hard at play, as if all is forgotten. If she isn't sleeping, she wants to be around us. She will sleep on our laps as long as we let her, but likes under the sofa best. The night we brought her home, a three hour drive, she squealed to get out of the carrier. I opened the door and she crawled up my arm and snuggled between the back of my neck and the seat the whole way home (I wasn't driving!).

So...when is the honeymoon over?! We have been trying to Bengal proof the rest of our home, which isn't an easy task. I'm sure stuff will get broken (we both collect and display stuff). Our main concern is to keep her safe. We removed a couple of plants that were potentially toxic and items that she could knock over on herself. Our house is multi-level and wide open spaces. Lucy sits on the floor looking up at the wood beams wondering "how"! I've never seen my wife take such an interest in a cat! She is a clean freak and I am a slob. After 47 years she about has me trained, but "good luck" with Lucy the Bengal. I'm thinking the Christmas tree this year is going to be interesting, let alone the trains underneath it!

This begs the question; Do Bengals get more hyper as they put on weight (get older) or is the kitten phase worse for the zoomies? For some reason, after she does #2 in the litter box, she jumps out and goes nuts. She arches her back and runs sideways. She runs and attacks her toys and is up and down the tree for about five minutes straight. Then she starts biting my toes (very playfully) very lightly. As I said, these cats seem to be all muscle, and I'm contemplating a 12 pound muscle!

Forget pics for a while, I only know enough about computers to be dangerous! Complex spread sheets, no problem, upload pictures- forget about it!

Bye for now!
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome, Rich!!! Congratulations on Lucy. I smiled while reading your post! Your Lucy is a typical bengal!!! I was dismayed when I read you let her out of her carrier while the car was in motion. Very dangerous to do that. Cats do not like being in a carrier and do cry and cry -- but it's the safest spot for them. I can't tell you the number of lost pets after accidents when they were not contained. Or you have to slam on your brakes and the cat goes flying. Or the cat gets down and under the brake pedal. Okay .. enough scolding! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The zoomies will go on for the lifetime of the cat. Mine is 9 years old and still has them, especially after using the litter box. I will scold your breeder who let Lucy go 4 weeks early! But, it seems she has settled in well and is on her way to growing.

Your life will continue to be turned upside down as bengals are challenging and a real adventure. I'm a lot older than you are and mine wears me out. You simply have to take what a bengal brings to the table. There are a lot of pictures online of bengals in Christmas trees! Here is one solution:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 pm 
Bengal Cat

LOL :rofl: Never thought of caging the tree! Thanks!

Rich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haha at least you don't have the talking whilst in the litter box, Griffith likes to tell me when he goes to the toilet by meowing at the top of his lungs and then dashes out and zooms around after lol. My two also chat when they eat and make yum yum noises.

Bengals are hyper for life my 16 year old was still doing her daily zoomies and playing like a kitten with her toys. They never grow up or settle down much, given when they are elderly they sleep a bit more but that's kinda it.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Magic does the litter box talking bit it's really funny, he then charges off with Pearl hot on his heels.

I have long given up with a Christmas tree, the last time I put one up Magic decided to annihilate it, now I have Pearl as well who is like the Tazmanian devil on speed I have no hope, she shreds everything in sight now.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

- Sarah
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

- Sarah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the information and behavioral stories; I can't imagine having a multi-Bengal family :wacko:! My wife is all about Christmas. In fact, just last night Lucy knocked 2 poinsettias off a high banister (soil everywhere) my wife had been patiently preening since last Christmas. Poor thing was terrified and ran off under a sofa. Its like she knew she did something wrong! She was just trying to explore the lower room and had found passage from the safe room. I had to move furniture near walls providing her passage. Good thing my wife has taken to Lucy, because I know the disarray of the rooms is really something my wife can't stand! The layout of my house being very open isn't really ideal. I've taken away many of the cardboard barriers and am letting Lucy poke around. I worry about forgetting to close a commode seat lid or getting stuck somewhere while we are at work. She is now developing a fascination with electrical cords, which really has me worried. There is probably a home remedy to make something foul tasting that I can "paint" the lamp cords with? Ever see what happened to the cat in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! Aye Kurumba! May have to only use plastic bulbs on the tree this year, the trains will be static, and Plasticville I'm sure will be invaded and leveled right from the jump! I am worried about those electric cords! Have you ever read where cats died from this? I'm sure it has happened.

Rich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We always have a natural tree.

Quasar only bothered it once. Last winter my mum was visiting and she hid a teaser toy in the branches of the tree on Christmas eve after everyone else had retired for the night.

I couldn't figure out why the tree was on a tilt when I got up in the morning. We soon discovered why when mum reached into the tree and pulled out the teaser!

I have heard that cats are more likely to try to climb an artificial tree but I've not had one so I have no comparison. He will play with baubles hanging from the lowest branches so we just don't hang them there.

We have 1 or 2 trees at the base of the tree. I think the noise makes Quasar nervous because he hasn't tried to play with the cars yet.

Quasar is 4 1/2 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Be very careful as I believe poinsettias are poisonous to cats. As long as Lucy doesn't eat the leaves. The biggest issue is you HAVE TO BENGAL PROOF YOUR HOUSE. That means putting things up and way, although bengals can get to almost anything. They will knock over a lot of things, so if you have something breakable that you cherish, lock it up somewhere. You do this for your children, except your children eventually grow up. Lucy bengal never will.

Wires are a huge problem. They do make rubber covers you can put over them. Hide them if you can. I know people who have replaced countless phone chargers because their cat chewed on the cords. There are spray products that apparently cats can't stand the odor of. You might try that on the cords. I keep my toilet lids down because Raiden loves to hop up and put his paws in the water.

Are you sure you and your wife are up for this adventure??? :biggrin: :biggrin: Lucy will certainly keep you on your toes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:54 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi Sherry,

I read where the Poinsettia toxicity is largely myth, we did however have two plants that are known to be somewhat toxic (not lethal) to cats which have since been removed. I know any kind of Lily is lethal to cats, including Lilies of the Valley.

I'm sure Barb and I can handle this fur ball! She is getting along very well with us and the house, although Brianj12 explained the early adulthood stage may be the most destructive age, Lucy so far still has her kitten fuzzies. I am looking forward to retirement this coming May (2017) and enjoying Lucy to the max and hoping she will continue enjoying us also.

I have ordered the 10' sections of citrus flavored wire covers from an online source. There are just so many wires everywhere. I'm not as concerned with low voltage systems such as phone cords or other low voltage DC sources. I think we have a different household electric supply in the states than in the UK and Europe.

I have sooo many questions and fear you folks are going to tire of me!

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Rich, we never tire of questions. It helps when we all offer up different opinions and options. Let's see how you love retirement with a howling bengal 24/7. Actually, bengals do sleep about 12 hours a day (versus 20 hours a day for a regular cat). Mine takes three short naps during the day and sleeps most of the night, but the rest of the time, he is a holy terror, crying and crying -- for no reason whatsoever!!! I hope things are different with Lucy.

I just read where poinsettias are "mildly toxic" to dogs and cats. I wouldn't want mine eating any leaves. My neighbor has lilies in her yard and Raiden used to love going over there. Now we do not since the neighbor doesn't like cats in her yard.