[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Peeing and Pooping AFTER being neutered?!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone,

I'm new to both the Bengal world and also this cat forum so i'm really hoping that you can help me!

We have recently become Parents to our Bengal Kittens Simba and Nala who are just GORGEOUS!!

They were born on 7th April so they are just 5 months old and i had them both neutered last Monday. SINCE being neutered we have had a few accidents around the house. Never before.

Last Wednesday night Nala decided she didnt want to come up to bed with us which is very unlike her so i went down to get her and when i popped her on the bed she chose to wee all over the sheets and carried on weeing whilst i carried her off the bed?!

Then the following morning, Simba decided to have a wee on the sofa in the kitchen (which is covered by a blanket) we quickly moved him and removed the blanket to be washed, therefore popped another blanket straight over the sofa WHICH HE PEED ON STRAIGHT AWAY AGAIN? so we moved the second blanket and then he decided to wee on the front door matt - so put that outside the front door and then he pees on the back door matt?? this was all in the space of 15 minutes?!

I called the vet and she said they are just stressed from the op so i spent £50 on some calmex and Felllaway to de-stress them. Since then we have had Simba pee on the NEW door matt again and also he decided to poo NEXT to the litter box this morning? (One of them also did this the morning after the op, i'm not sure who).

Please could anyone tell me why this is happening as i'm finding it very hard to trust them around the rest of the house at the moment and i don't think its fair for them to be confined to just the kitchen all day.

Thanks in advance,

Jennie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That sounds to me like there is more than stress going on - The vet really needs to check there are no problems following the surgery.

Pooping outside a litter box they are normally fine with indicates there is an issue - pain often causes them to pee / poop elsewhere as they associate it with the tray.

Re the odd weeing - try getting a clean, damp chamoise leather, and rub them both over with it to remove any last trace of the 'vet' smell in case this is triggering that.

I definitely would not be taking the vet word "its just stress" without the vet looking at them and ensuring there are no infections or anything else....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There definitely appears to be an issue after the surgery! The vast majority of pets are fine -- mostly sore in the region, but their bathroom habits do NOT change. The fact that they BOTH are doing this -- were they stitched? The male mainly. Usually, they do not use exterior stitches! It sounds to me as if something was done after the surgery -- I'm sure you are supposed to take your girl for a follow up visit! The vet needs to re-examine them and make sure there are no complications. There could easily be an infection that is painful and causing them to not want to use the litter box. If your vet cannot find anything wrong -- I'd maybe get a second opinion. Of course, one of your cats may be mimicking the other one. But this behavior is highly unusual after surgery!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are right Sherry both should have been for a follow up appointment 3-5 days after surgery to check for complications and issues. If they aren't using litter boxes I'm wondering if it's painful for them to be able to get into them or there could be issues with the wound sites.

I would definitely take them both back to the vet to check what's wrong this isn't normal at all. One could be peeing in the same place the other is because it now smells like a litter tray. Even if you wash what a cat pee's on the enzymes are so strong (especially in males) that it can still smell after, I would recommend getting something like natures miracle and spraying everywhere they have pee'd to try and stop the smell or they will keep doing it out of habit.

the Feliway will deal with how stressful this all is for them but this is beyond stress as cats don't like just peeing somewhere out in the open unless they have to, I personally think something is more amiss.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:02 pm 
Bengal Cat

From what I read cats can be like this for a number of reasons, pain, insecure, inflammation or infection after surgery. You probably want to check the later two with a different vet, the first two will go away after time. I agree with Seraph that your cats may not feel well using the litter box anymore so they hold their urine or poop until they cannot. Try to get a few boxes with different type of no dust litters, like pine, walnut, paper based. Do not pick them up when they are weeing, that add stress and more importantly, they wont stop and it will be a mess.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Know, too, that two cats need three litter boxes!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all and thank you for your replies.

Since my last post we have washed both the front and back door matt and popped them back down. Over the space of a week they have both been peed on again so we have made a decision to throw them away and have no matts for the time being and hoping that this is a phase!

Meanwhile, there has been the odd occasion where they have pooped/peed NEXT to the litter box. I have cought Simba trying on the sofa so i quickly moved him to the box and a couple of times about to ho on the new rug in the living room. We are trying to keep on top of the litter box as much as we can you ensure that its not dirty in there but obviously still has the scent.

They both had two post op checks after their op's. Simba had no stitches and Nala has dissolve-able stitches. Its strange because i know when they are about to wee/poo where they shouldn't as they are very vocal about it. Almost like they don't want to it but they are anyway and they panic?

And i have tried using two litter boxes however they still stick to the one? they will not use the other one even though i but a bit of urinated litter in their for the scent. I'm just so confused. PLUS it always happens on a Monday morning!

Simba and Nala born 07/04/16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since I replied to this I've been having issues with Griffith marking and peeing on my bed and the dogs bed since his neuter he was great before but since :rolleyes: not sure if it's cos he's almost 6 months now and I haven't had Arya spayed and is hitting sexual maturity (I had to delay her spay until early next month) or he's being territorial with my dog.

I also found out he has cystitis since his neuter probably due to the stress he also was having issues with a chicken allergy at the same time so moved them both to a raw fish, beef and turkey diet which shockingly dealt with about half of the marking and peeing issues with him as well as his runny tummy.

He's also on Cystophan for the UTI https://fetch.co.uk/protexin-cystophan- ... k-88296011 and Zylkene in his food for the stress https://fetch.co.uk/zylkene-20-caps-75mg-229722011

He's always been hyper sensitive and easily stressed over change, I've found excessive exercise in the garden (thankfully we have an enclosed one they can't get out of) and a combination of anxiety medication, raw diet and using enzyme cleaners on anything he pee's on has helped either that or I just have to throw things away. I'm lucky my little girl isn't copying him.

Is there any chance one or both has a UTI from the neuter especially if they are crying when going to the toilet that's usually a sign of something wrong, I would try the Cystophan for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. A vet needs to do actual tests to see if there's a UTI so it wouldn't flare up in a post op check up it also costs a small fortune to do it and they tend to recommend antibiotics and prescription diets which are expensive and can cause other issues so I would only consider a prescription diet if you have tried all other avenues and if it doesn't clear up with the Cystophan then I would look into antibiotics. Is there any blood in their urine or poo? Also are they both crying when they go or just one.
http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/f ... stitis-fic See if any of this matches up

- Sarah
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jagger did this meowing thing before peeing somewhere he knew he shouldn't. He was checked out at the vet, had a urine sample checked which was clear and so it was put down to stress. He was on zylkene for a few weeks and seems fine now. I did introduce another litter tray at that point (so we now have three) to get the urine sample. That has kind of become 'his' tray. I was flicking through 'cat v cat' (by Pam Johnson-Bennett) recently and cats can become a bit territorial about litter trays. Jagger would rarely use them as they go outside during the day. But Hendrix will stroll in, have a wee and go back out again. So his scent was very strong in the trays despite the fact I clean them pretty much immediately they're used. So some of it may have been that the tray they used to wee in was classed as Hendrix's in Jagger's eyes. They pretty much have one each for wee now and one they share to poo in.

It took about a week for the new tray to be accepted and used though.

One thing I would say at that age, I had to 'up' the size of the trays to the biggest I could find. They got dirty much quicker as they produced more wee etc as they grew and if I was at work, the trays would get full quicker, and then we'd have little 'accidents' too.

With the Monday morning thing though (and I'm just throwing this out there!) is it possibly a little bit of separation anxiety that they are aware it is Monday morning and you are off to work?? They're not daft these bengals!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so thankful that Raiden uses his litter boxes faithfully!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

- Sarah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately bad kitten behavior turns into bad adult behavior. The situation needs to be taken care of or it can be life-time deal and so many people rehome their cats because they can no longer handle the problem. Jackson Galaxy has videos on this problem -- probably even sells some Spirit Essences that might help with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:48 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,

WELL!!!! i'm feeling good and we seem to be getting somewhere!! I have taken all of your advice on board!!

I have purchased the Cystophan AND the Zylkene tablets. He has only had the Cystophan so far but I want to give him that just incase he is in any pain and to try and catch any problems at the early stage.

We have also introduced a new cat litter box WHICH THEY ARE USING!!! yay!! We seem to have much happier kitty's which means a much happier house hold!!

No accidents since Monday, fingers crossed!

I have also bought another Feliway so I shall be plugging that in the upstairs of the house tonight! Thank you so much for your advice, it really has helped.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll keep everything crossed for you I know first hand how frustrating this is so I'm really hoping it works.

- Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you Sarah! x