[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Aggression
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aggression
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi I am new on this forum and have registered for some support. Just finding my way around it lol. I rescued a bengel from a family member who couldn't cope with him! I've had cats all my life and thought I could help. He had problems with aggression to humans but this was due to him not been stimulated. As now he has the great out doors he loves it. The main problem now he attacks my other cat I try to keep them apart but it's difficult. Today he attacked her and she weed herself. This really upset me and i thought I need to sort the problem. I have considered re homing him but I've never got rid of an animal in my life. So I am hoping someone can help me pls.

Post subject: Re: Aggression
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. First of all, calm down! There is an "introduction" process that should be gone through before ever allowing two cats to actually face each other. That hasn't happened! Bengals are highly territorial, especially males. Bengals and domestic cats do not always mix. I feel so badly for your little girl. She had her own space, her own home and this other cat comes in and takes over. Bullying is a huge problem and, as you have found out, can cause behavioral issues in your little girl. I do not know that is is best to start the introduction process all over since it is what it is.

First, both of your kitties need their own space. Hopefully, have have a couple of tall cat trees. Your bengal will absolutely LOVE being high up in the air. Second of all, you need separate bathroom spaces for them. Litter box for each and a spare. Unfortunately, that is what a second cat brings to the table.

Next, feed them in different areas so at least your little girl has some peace. At some point, she is going to lose her confidence and your bengal knows exactly what that means -- easy prey. You must NEVER leave them alone together unsupervised. Hopefully, you engage your bengal in heavy play time. They require that. They are not a cat that sleeps 20 hours a day. They need stimulation throughout the day.

You say your family has had bengals. Then you should know what challenges they bring to the table. Bengal/Bengal is fine. Bengal/domestic cat can be problematic!

I don't know that there is anything that is going to calm your bengal down. I would not give medications but you might investigate Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences. But ... a bengal is a bengal.

Understand you have two very different cats. The big issue here may be the bengal's earlier life. How he was treated by your family member. What type of stresses he was put under in that environment. Bengals can be difficult to deal with -- I have one of those myself, however, I made a commitment to take care of him his entire life and I will do that, even if it costs me mine! :biggrin:

I suggest you take deep breaths, spend a lot of time with your bengal. Have lots of wand toys and use them. Taking care of a bengal is like taking care of a 2-year old child. They require much more than your regular kitty. Get some advice from your family as well. In the end, you need to protect your little girl. She may never have the confidence to stand up to your bengal. So many bengals end up in rescues because owners simply cannot handle their energy, vocalization, demands. If you understand that's just how a bengal is -- you can't change that -- then you can begin to appreciate and love them for the "wild" cat they are. Hope that helps. We are here for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

To add to Sherry's advice, as well as Jackson Galaxys spirit essences there is something called Zylkene. It is not a drug but a natural milk protein which mimics mothers milk and chills the cats out. I would put them both on it to try and calm the situation down. Your poor little girl cat. I find it so upsetting to think how frightened she must have been to have wet herself. Bless her. I really think that some bengals need to be only cats. My boy Oscar rarely sees another cat but if one strays into his territory, god help them, he does not hold back. We had a tabby cross our land.........he never came through our paddock ever again. They are so strong and athletic. A domestic cat is rarely going to get the upper paw! I know you have been such a caring person to help this bengal but don't do it at the expense of your girl cat. As Sherry said, you could try to introduce them properly and slowly, but never never leave them alone together. Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thankyou guys for your help and advice I really want to make this situation work. My house has room to keep them separate apart from the odd occasion when they meet out side. Rodger the bengal chases poppy up the trees in the garden. Rodger loves the great out doors and spends his day in and out. He's such a lovely boy and I've fallen for him. Would really hate to part with him as I've never done that with a pet. ☺

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I totally understand what you are saying about not wanting to part with your bengal. I applaud you for wanting to make this work but understand it will be a long and slow process, two steps forward and one step back. Ultimately the bengal may never accept your girl cat's presence in the territory he has claimed from her. Her world has been turned upside down and she is now frightened in her own home which should be a place of peace and safety. Try to watch Jackson Galaxy episodes about fighting cats in the same home, they are so informative and will give you a step by step guide. You need to make sure your girl kitty has lots and lots of escape routes from the bengal. They need separate areas of territory that make them both feel happy and safe and very definitely lots of litter trays. Stress behaviour in cats can be so subtle that you miss it until it's too late. Your girl cat wetting herself was pure terror. Please, please look after her interests as much as the bengal. I know Oscar would never accept another cat. I look longingly at all the cats in the rescue centres......I would have five if I could! I would never do it though as it would be unfair on the poor newcomer and would most likely be world war 3. I really wish you good luck. Keep them separated and start the introductions at a snails pace. Take as much time as you can. Your girl cat needs to build up her confidence as if she acts like prey in front of your bengal, he will take advantage and chase her off. Try the zylkene as it may help your girl kitty and also the bengal.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two male Bengals and not so long ago, one was bullying the other, who then started to act like prey and our home was like a war zone. I was advised by a cat behaviourist to use zylkene and I have to say it worked. I do have to keep on top of things and now and again step in if things look likely to get out of hand, but overall things are way better.

I think definitely keep them entirely separate for a while, let your little girl get her confidence back and then try to reintroduce them very, very slowly as spitspot (Melissa) has said. If the Bengal shows any signs of aggressions, push him away firmly (obviously don't be rough or hurt him!), face him and chase him away from your girl.

My issue was Bengal v Bengal so even if you do manage to get this to a point they can co-exist together, never leave your girl alone with him if you go out as she can't protect herself from a male Bengal.

Also get the book Cat V Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett - lots of useful tips etc in there for multi-cat households.

May also be worth having Feliway plugged in - I have both Friends (which is the new one) and the normal one plugged in. Oh, and get a Feliway spray and spritz a bit on your hands and then rub into their fur, one after the other, get their scents similar etc.

I also use distraction techniques if I think one of them is getting rough with the other. Hendrix is way easier to distract as he is very food orientated, so find what makes your Bengal tick. Hendrix can be distracted with cat nip bubbles as he just can't work out where the bubbles go :lol: Jagger is a different kettle of fish and I usually have to get the Flying Frenzy out to distract him from Hendrix for any reason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great advice from Melissa and Clare! Since I only have (basically) one cat, I forget about the Feliway which is really a great help to the majority of cat owners. The fact that you boy goes outside should help the situation since he can use up a lot of his energy. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 am 
Bengal Cat

Galaxy mentioned above have some great videos about how to introduce cats. Like separate them first, let them get used to each others' scent. Feed them on the sides of one door, keep a longer distance at beginning and gets closer each time. Eventually, feed them on the sides of a barrier, so they can see them other. More importantly, make sure there always is a escape route, no dead corners. Mercury used to beat up every cat he can see, by using these tips I was able to sit my friend's cat in my house without any issue. It only took a few days.

And make sure Bengals has enough toys and play time, they may treat other cats (even humans) as toys if not satisfied.