[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Demanding yowling
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Demanding yowling
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone.
I have probably read everything that is available for free on the web about bengals and their behaviour, but found no actual advise on how to deal with a problem. And the problem is constant meowing, rrrowing, yowling. Sometimes it feels he does it just to annoy us.
My boy - Alaska is F6 1.5 years old, castrated and in perfect health.
Both my husband and I work from home, my self part time, so we always around and he gets plenty of attention. We also have another cat, they play together every morning and evening running around the house like couple of tornados :)
On top of that we have a dog, rottie, who also plays with them (he is a sensitive soul and tries to split the cat wrestling). Almost every day Alaska goes for long walks together with the dog. We do about a mile and a half, he absolutely loves it.
He has no interest in toys, but since he is very greedy i keep inventing puzzle games where he retrieves his cat biscuits from.

You can see that he shouldn't be lacking entertainment and yet when at home he just screams his head off. I know he wants to go outside and spend most of his life there, but we can't let him out on his own. We live in suburbs, near busy roads. And Alaska is not afraid of anything, he runs toward the strangers and dogs. Also his markings are amazing and he would be a very easy cat to pinch.

I am expecting now and finding my self stressing out to much. We use a time out technique, when he gets in to frenzy of shouting the house down he goes to spare bedroom to calm down. Results are very short lived.

Does anyone have any valid advise how could i train him out of it? Please.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Demanding yowling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:03 pm 
Bengal Cat

Could you make him a secure outdoor enclosure with cat flap access so that he could freely go outside safely? It wouldn't be the freedom to roam that it sounds as if he wants, but would let him get fresh air and all the scents and smells, weather changes, bugs to chase etc.

Alternatively, and probably preferably from his point of view, could you cat-proof your garden with a homemade or off-the-shelf climb-proof/escape-proof boundary?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh gosh, a yowling Bengal -- who would have thought? I have one of those. It's a trait of a bengal, plain and simple. When reading "very vocal," that is exactly what it means. They cry, they yowl, they howl -- for no apparent reason! There is no stopping it, so a time out is not going to work! It's just what bengals do! Mine goes for daily walks, mine has a huge outdoor enclosure. It hasn't helped one bit! I've learned to accept it because my 9-year old bengal is not going to change. Yours is not going to change either. You have a bengal!

You have a beautiful bengal but you're going to have to learn to live with the yowling. I'm guessing he has been neutered but that has never stopped mine from yowling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Sherry, I didn't post here to get a telling off session. I am simply looking for advise and expertise of other bengal owners.
We are not new to this breed, we had a bengal before and loved him dearly but he he developed a heart condition and one day was gone. He was vocal, but he was actually talking to us, i knew his vocabulary and what each different meaw meant :)

We didn't get a kitten to replace him, we grieved and waited long enough until Alaska came in to our lives. And he is adorable with great personality and not a slightest bit of aggression (I know many bengal owners are struggling with that), he just has a verbal diarrhea :rolleyes: and i hope to find a way to keep us owners and our pets happy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Speaking from personal experience, my 11 month old girl Pearl is a yowler and also wakes us up at all hours in the night meowing.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much that helps, the time out thing does not work with bengals I've discovered, i don't know if it works for other cats I can't say.

When Pearl gets too hyper I get out her da bird toy and run all round the house with her chasing it and get her to jump right up in the air after it, I keep this going until she is panting, let her rest for 5 minutes then do it again and then again until she's too tired to chase it, she will then settle down for a few hours.

Magic my 4 year old boy is the opposite he's quite laid back, he does have his moments but not like Pearl.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry, you must have the patience of a saint to be so accepting :biggrin: Oscar's meows are pretty piercing and I imagine if it was constant it would drive me insane! I am lucky that Oscar only meows for no reason for half an hour per day tops. I might just try building the enclosure for Alaska. Yes, it may not work to make him lessen his yowling but at least he will be a little further away from you so you might not hear it as much! Neighbours might not be impressed though :rolleyes:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sympathies my Yau is a howler , it's constant, and drives us round the bend. He is 8, a softie with us, but very territorial. He just screams for no reason, now his sister isquiet as a mouse, he makes up for it, all the nieghbours know him, as he screams his head off for no reason, very verbal, my three Siamese are quiet in comparison. He's just gobby, he can go outside, has toys, neautured has lots of attention, but we have just had to accept it, he has lots to say, and it wakes us, annoys us but he is a Bengal, aloof, noisy and annoying at times, but no aggression so you can't have it all I guess...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think your cat wants access to the outdoors. Can you think of a safe enclosure you can build for him? Several posters have done this so if you search through the posts you will find some great photos. My cats have had access to a large screened in patio since they were kittens. They reserve meowing for extreme unhappiness like going to the vets. They communicate with me but in softer tones, clicks, moans, chirps and soft meows when I sleep late or when they want me to open the door to the patio. They have tons of toys, scratchers and cat trees to play with, but by far their favorite thing to do is march along the outside of the patio and hunt for lizards and anything that moves. They chase, catch, torture and eat lizards almost daily. This is the ultimate pass time for them. They also love to just sit out there and watch flocks of birds and ducks playing in the lake behind my house.

We are having the first spectacular weather weekend here in south Florida and the doors are all open. They are in and out of the house having the best time. I know I won't live here their whole lives, but for now, it is cat heaven. It really makes my day to watch them enjoy it.