[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Territorial issue
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Territorial issue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:33 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi All,

New to the forum and desperately need some help.

My 3 yrs old cat developed some territorial issue a while ago and become more and more severe. He become obsessed about portal the hallway and checking the doors with cats behind. So far I have prevented every attempt of marking my neighbors' doors, but I'm afraid one day he may cause some unpleasant relationship between me and my neighbors.

If not allowed outside, he will consistently mark every corner of my apartment (four times this morning) with non-stop howling. Once he feels he gets my attention, he runs towards the door and look at me. I have tried dozens of toys to distract him from the door, he shows almost no interest. Ignoring him only leads to more and more marking. Now I walk him once or twice a day, sometimes almost all day during weekends.

Everything else is normal, he eats and drink well, still uses litter box regularly and sleep with me at night (thank god he hasn't start to pee on bed). When walking outside, he seems very energetic, only go home to use litter box or drink some water. As you can imagine, the marking and howling has driven me crazy, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Territorial issue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi,

I don't believe you said if he's neutered or not as that can cause a huge issue with boys being territorial. Only other thing is to think if anything has changed recently, have any new neighbours moved in? Are there any new local big Tom cats that he may have seen through your windows? Usually for a cat to become territorial it's either a hormonal change or a change in their environment. Any chance any other cats have marked around your house and he can smell it?

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:06 am 
Bengal Cat

He is not neutered. I would like to keep that as last resort since our vet said there is no guarantee that it would change his behavior as he has seen many failed cases.

As a long term observation, my cat's bad behavior directly related to the number of cats in the neighborhood. When I first move into my current apartment, this complex is fairly new and almost no cats nearby, his marking problem completely stopped for a few months. Now there are more and more tenants are getting cats, he started it again. He doesn't have to see the other cats, he know exactly where they are.

Before I get him neutered, I would like to see if there is any other way than doing surgery can fix the issue. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

All he is doing is what an intact male cat is meant to do, male bengals are highly territorial and it will just keep getting worse I'm afraid this could also lead to more behavioural issues and possibly aggression as he's going to become very frustrated. There is a reason why breeders keep intact males in enclosures sadly and you are experiencing it.

Your vet is correct just neutering now won't correct his behaviour but it will prevent it for getting any worse you will then probably have to seek help with his behaviour issues and try to train it out of him if you can, male bengals can be difficult at the best of times with their size so I would have thought any good vet would have recommended you neutering him before he hit sexual maturity or at least warned you this is what would happen if you didn't. Sadly I can't offer any other solutions besides neutering him as all he is doing is what comes natural to him, you can't really keep an intact Tom in a house and not expect issues and without females to breed with he will get more and more frustrated and desperate to escape. The issue is more if he does get out he will be awful to try and get back in as he's likely to off and roam so he can find cats to mate with.

Maybe someone else can help you out with ideas to help correct his behaviour but it will be hard work now it's something he's used to doing and sadly you can't really control what neighbours around you have and yes he will be able to smell them all, if anyone else has a male even a neuter it will make him agitated and if there's an intact female in the building he will be desperate to get to her if she's calling.

It's your decision as to if you neuter him or not but I believe most behaviourists will also suggest it's what needs to be done. It could be advisable to contact a local cat behaviourist though and see if they can help you or just give you some ideas to curb the issue.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since everyone is responding to this topic, I'll answer here.

You are correct that neutering may not stop the problem, but it should lessen it! I have a 9 year old bengal who was neutered at 12 weeks and things would have been find had the previous owner not decided to let him become an outdoor cat. The whole "territorial" issue arose in him. I have had him for three years. We take two outdoor walks a day and he marks all the bushes, trees, light poles, etc. He has marked in the house a few times, but it always cleaned up easily with Natures Miracle. He has an enclosure on our deck and he marks a corner of that. It is a terrible issue with male and female cats (even if they have been spayed. I have a friend with a spayed female who gets on the counters in the kitchen and sprays the backsplash). It's great that you are willing to walk him so he can get out his frustration. Mine holds his urine in and gets very antsy in the mornings as he wants to spray it all out over a 6-block walk.

Marking is for territory, especially against other cats. If there are outdoor tom cats, this can be a huge issue, vying for the territory.

However, a neutered cat is a much calmer cat. The howling may not stop because he is a bengal! However, neutering can prevent some other health issues and its so much better for the male. He is not wanting to hunt down any fertile females. Please consider having it done regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the advices, I will neuter him if not getting any better.

I keep him intact in afraid of the surgery maybe painful and also want him has stronger skeleton and muscles. I expected problems but not this bad.

Still wish there is some other way I can deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:02 am 
Bengal Cat

Things has improved a little recently. I tried to do the opposite, instead of walking him outside more and more, I restrain him in a smaller room with food, litter box and some toy for a while each day, especially when I am not at home. It seems he start to howl less and eat more, there are only two marking in three days and even when not in the small room, he uses litter box more.

Somehow I feel the more time he is out, the more scent of other cats he pick up which make things worse. And the small room reminds him the litter box is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Why do you say his behaviour is bad? He is just behaving exactly as an intact male cat would! He is defending and marking his territory. Your cat is not naughty, just very very frustrated, so if you don't intend to breed from him then please get him neutered. Yes, it may not work to totally fix the issue as it's been left so late but I'm sure his marking behaviour would lessen. On the issue of what you were saying about neutered cats not growing as big etc, there are loads of members on this forum with big, muscular male bengals who were neutered at a very young age! Also, he is three and full grown now! Putting your cat into a small room will lessen the area he can mark but it will not make him happier :sad: Good luck and hope it works out for you.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think that long term, keeping him in a smaller space may well end up with him becoming stressed which can also cause litter box issues as well as potentially a whole host of other issues such as over-grooming etc.

Both my two boys were neutered before 14 weeks. They are still big strong Bengals and their growth has not been inhibited one iota. They do spray outside, but not indoors (to date and touch wood!). So while yes, they do still spray to mark their territory outside, that is perfectly natural behaviour for a male cat. You may find he is calmer if neutered due to the reduction in hormones and if you continue walking him, he will spray outside but hopefully not indoors.

Surely worth a try????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Neutering also prevents some other health issues from popping up! I don't know who in their right mind would want an unneutered male cat! Neutering does not stop the growth of the cat. So many wives tales out there. For the benefit of your peace of mind and the health of your male kitty, get him fixed ASAP. Males heal rapidly and are usually zipping around after 24 to 48 hours. I'd think your vet would be recommending you get this done. It still takes a month after the neutering for the testosterone in the system to be gone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:12 am 
Bengal Cat

Just to be clear, I'm not confining him all the time. I still walks him and he still runs free after calming down so most of the time he is out. No sign of new stress shows up.

Neutering is an option, but may not always the best one. Although it may make him a little money, my vet did not strongly suggest it over the other way. Just like everything else, there are uncertainties. First of all, there is risk in any surgery. Second, while the risk of some diseases decreases, neutering increase the chances of some other diseases. Third, lack of testosterone reduces bone growth and muscle density, that's science, not myth. Forth, I know I dont want some one to cut my testicles even if I can also get cancer, there is empathy.

Now he is calm, I'm calm. There may be one marking a day which is manageable. Everything is OK.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar. 6kg pure muscle. Neutered, calm and happy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is really a personal decision for a cat owner. I've owned male cats that were never neutered and were outdoor cats. Yes, totally irresponsible on my part, but my opinion changed with a stray kitty I was taking care of -- finally got him fixed because he started leaving for long periods of time before returning. Unfortunately, he disappeared two weeks after I had the surgery done. Then I got Raiden! Thankfully, he was neutered at 12 weeks. He may be smaller for a bengal -- 12.8 pounds, but he is lean and all muscle. I'm happy that it's done! But, there are others who do not agree -- and that is your right! It's always an option down the road for you. Most veterinarians recommend it, especially if the kitty is marking a lot. However, mine marks in his enclosure and at every light pole and shrub on our walks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Did I miss something here? Why is this tom not neutered? What is the reason for keeping him intact?

Is he a registered Bengal with breeding rights for which the owner wants him intact in order to put him to stud?

At his age, he is already full grown. Even though the idea that not neutering a male will make him a bigger, more muscular cat is a fallacy, surely the owner realizes he will not get any bigger just because he has his gonads.

*confused*