[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Wee, wee and more wee!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wee, wee and more wee!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:34 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all - desperately seeking help with our two-year-old Bengal who has developed a problem with weeing around the house! Not something he has always had - just the last six months or so - and is getting progressively worse to the point where we had to replace carpets and furniture.

He sometimes goes in the litter box - which we clean regularly - but other times takes to weeing in random places in the house. Sofas, beds, clothes, carpets and even kitchen work surfaces. He is a house cat but we try to let him out supervised whenever we can. We also have a younger domestic short hair, and they get on well - the weeing problem was here before she arrived.

When he was about 10 months, he had a fall and broke his back leg - fully recovered now. He has been done as well.

Any help - or requests for further info - would be really appreciated! At the end of our tether now - especially as we are planning to have children in the near future.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are thousands of articles on the internet on inappropriate peeing outside of the litter box. Many offer helpful information. There are really only two reasons for this.

1. Medical. The cat may have a urinary tract infection or crystals in the urine which are painful, thus associating the litter box with pain, even though the pain will be there when they pee on something else, as well.

2. Stress. This is really the #1 cause. There is something in the environment that has changed over time. Maybe an new cat moved into the neighborhood and comes around the outside of your home. The cat can smell it, you can't. The cat sees it, you don't. Think about other changes that may have been made around that time.

Solution -- first clean the areas completely with Nature's Miracle or some other cleaner so the likelihood of the kitty returning to the same spot stops. Add another litter box or two -- at least temporarily. You want to make it convenient for your kitty to use a litter box -- any litter box, so add ones where he has been going. Does he prefer open or covered litter boxes? Since I see that you have another cat -- you are going to need at least THREE, YES THREE litter boxes.

I would suggest getting a harness and leash and actually allowing your kitty to walk outside. Mine will usually pee out there at some point. One of the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER is patience. Do not yell or scream at your cat. The kitty can sense the tension and that is not going to help. If you feel it's about time for the cat to urinate, place him in the litter box. Use the appropriate cat litter. Did you change the brand or scent over time? Make sure the litter boxes are large enough. The least little change can solve this issue. Unfortunately, it is really up to you because none of here know your household. Thinking more like your kitty and looking around for tell-tale signs is the best thing you can do, and then fix things for him. He is not doing this out of spite. Something changed in his world.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have already tried all of these options - nothing has changed in the house and it is almost like he is doing it out of spite. We let him out for hours today and the same thing happened twice - is there nothing else we can do? We have tried being patient, not shouting, more trays - and it does not work. I have read hundreds of articles to no avail - believe me...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had this recently and initially I felt it was out of spite because I wouldn't let him out after a certain time, but it had never been an issue before so I took him straight to the vet. Turns out with jagger, it is stress. I obtained a urine sample and he was clear so not a medical issue and he also had a thorough check up at the vet when I took him in. He'd never done it before, it was out of character. If your boy had been fine before, there is an issue and you need to work out what it is.

You said you'd tried everything, which I assume means he's been to the vet? What did the vet say and when did the issue start? Is he weeing in front of you? Turns out jagger is being stressed by the local foxes, one is regularly in our garden, digging, pooing, marking and this year it is a problem. Your boy is now 2 years I think you said. He is now socially mature and territory is now important which I think is why the foxes are such an issue to jagger this year.

Where are your litter trays in the house? Is it just wee and not poo? has he changed behaviour or routine at all? Jagger's activity levels dropped and his routine noticeably changed.

I have placed jagger on zylkene to help him calm down and he is much more relaxed and hasn't had an out of tray wee in over a week, but you would need to discuss this course of action with your vet. I don't intend to keep him on it indefinitely, just until the foxes move on or we manage to discourage the foxes from using our garden so much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

A visit to the vet would be the first thing if you haven't already done that. If that doesn't yield any answers, then I would seriously consider contacting a cat behaviorist. I believe that this is their #1 issue that they deal with. If you can, get a recommendation from someone in your area. Your vet might have such a recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is definately something there that is stressing your cat. When he broke his leg did he find litter trays painful and difficult to use? I know you have added litter trays but have you got different types? Bigger, Covered, uncovered, different litter? Also the placing of the litter trays is a fine art. I feel for you as I also had a peeing and spraying bengal. It's not nice. I think a trip to the vets to rule out infection and then if all clear, a behaviourist as Brian says. You need someone in your house looking at the whole picture at once. I know you said your two cats get on but behaviour can be soooo subtle as Clare (Tabitha) will tell you. It could be stress due to the two cats sharing space. Do they have their own spaces, beds, cat trees etc? You need to rule out one issue at a time. As Sherry said getting the smell of urine out is paramount. Also a cat behaviourist will be far cheaper in the long run than new sofas etc. Good luck. I also think that putting your cat on zylkene is a good idea if the problem is stress. It is a natural milk protein that mimics mothers milk to soothe and relax the cat.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Definitely try the Zylkene. Jagger has come on leaps and bounds. Before he started the inappropriate peeing, I had noticed his activity levels had dropped, his routine changed and he actually seemed depressed. So I was already worried about him but put it down to it being hot... He's been on the Zylkene 2 weeks now I think, and he seems to have his mojo back. He's out and about and seems happy again.

Still an issue with the litter trays that I'm still scratching my head over... he will have a look, get in and then change his mind and use the new one in the hall or go outside and pee on the patio :confused: which I then have to wash down.

The litter trays have always been in the conservatory but it's almost like he's decided he doesn't like them and/or their position anymore. Hendrix doesn't have an issue, he equally uses both locations, ie the new one in the hall as well. The litter tray issue is going to be a problem when Jon gets home on Sunday as he is adamant there will be no litter trays in the house.

Really hope you are getting to the bottom of the issue for your boy. They are sensitive souls these Bengals and easily upset by things we wouldn't notice or give a thought to!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It appears you are willing to try anything and everything to help you kitty. Trust me, it's not out of spite! Something is wrong! You simply have not hit on the solution yet. You've tried almost everything, except the ONE thing that will work. Please have a vet check him out just to make sure nothing is wrong. You allow the kitty to go outside, where most cats would prefer to urinate. There could easily be smells from other neighborhood cats that are causing the stress. Bengals are very territorial and do not want any other cat in their space. There is a long list of reasons for this -- hope you will continue trying.