[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Unique Urination Problem: help!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 am 
Bengal Kitten

My young fixed male bengal is having litter box issues. He was fine for the first two years or so with zero problems. Then out of the blue he starts peeing directly out side of the letterbox. At first, I thought he was just missing because the box was too small, but he is squatting just next to it. He does not pee any where else in the house. Also, he only does this some of the time. Sometimes he will use the box, and then out of the blue there will be pee in front of the box. I have two large size boxes in reasonable areas. I haven't changed anything about them recently, and there haven't been any new stresses in the house. It's like he just randomly decided to do it, and I can't get him to stop. If only I could read his mind and figure out what causes him to do it. I have used the Feliway diffuser, I scoop the boxes daily, and I use Natures Miracle to clean up the pee. I play with him often, so I don't think he is acting out for being neglected. Any ideas as to why he pees directly outside of the box only some of the time?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Probably worth a vet visit to check out if there is a medical issue in the first place. What litter do you use? Have you changed it recently? He might need a litter that is for sensitive paws, as it could be hurting him. Other than that it is possible that there is something outside upsetting him, another cat or something that is making him territorially threatened.

He won't be doing this on purpose, there will be a reason, it's a matter of working it out. As you say, it would be great if they could talk but other than that you need to try get in his head and think like a cat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To me, on the surface at least, this one seems more straightforward than most urination issues. It really doesn't seem like a marking issue, so I think we rule out stress or territorial behavior. I think he's simply rejecting that litterbox. He's in effect saying "I'm a good kitty, and I know where I should go, I want to go there but I just CAN'T because...". It's the "because" that we have to figure out. It's clearly not the location. I would say that he either dislikes that litterbox, of he's having a medical issue which would cause him to associate the litterbox with discomfort.

So questions:

1. How old is the box? Is it possible that it is just "smelly"?
2. How large is it?
3. Is it open or closed design?
4. When he rejects it, is there poo or pee in it?
5. How often is the litter changed?
6. Has the type of litter changed?
7. When he goes outside the box does he first go inside the box and then walk out and decide to go outside it? Or does he just walk right up to outside the box and go?
8. Is there any blood in his stool?
9. Does it look like he might be struggling to go on occasion?
10. What is his poo like when he goes outside the box?

The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to go out and buy a new box (hopefully larger and open design) and see what effect that has.

P.S. The "reasonable location" thing is really his call :lol: Your only clue as to the reasonableness of a litter box's location is simply how frequently it gets used :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great advice from Clare and Brian! First you need to have your baby checked out by a vet to rule out anything medical. Then, go along with what Brian has suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Actually I was at the vet with jagger today as he has suddenly starting pee'ing anywhere but the litter tray. Unfortunately it was inconclusive as he had an empty bladder so I have some crystals to use in a litter tray to try and get a sample to avoid him going back in as he was so stressed he was trembling.

All very possibly down to the foxes who are being a damned nuisance again!

It's totally out of character for him though so although I was really cross initially as it seemed like he was acting out because I wouldn't let him out, I know in reality there is an issue as he's never done this before. Just want to nail it before it becomes a habit. Ordering a round litter tray as the wood basket apparently is perfect for pee'ing in and also empty round plant pots. Moved a litter tray inside from the conservatory as well in case he feels vulnerable using it out there at night with foxes staring in at him!

His activity levels dropped last month and I put it down to it being summer, and he gets me up really early which now I think is because he's desperate to out for a wee and for some reason really doesn't want to use the trays now. Next on the list will be litter types if I can't work it out from the above or get a urine sample to see if he has an infection or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Could very easily be stress, Clare! Those foxes are a real pain in the you-know-what. Too bad you can't relocate them to some wildlife sanctuary! You know with a male and female, there will always be more of them. Hope you can get things straightened out with Jagger. Boy, he sure doesn't like trips to the vet, does he? Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two litter boxes in my office. One is the largest (giant size) covered box I could find. The other is a large open storage bin. One has Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter and the other has World's Best Cat Litter. They are side by side. They seem to prefer the covered box with the clay litter, but they also use the open box but mainly for peeing. They are very into their litter boxes and rush in to watch me clean them and then jump in to go. When I change the litter and liner, there is a race to see who gets to use it first. There are also three mats around the boxes and I try to vacuum often to keep the floor litter free. Of course scooping twice a day is important and I use the Litter Geannie to keep odor at a minimum in the room. It is after all my office (a.k.a. the litter box room).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sick of those foxes. I've been reading up on it all and in our case, Jagger is peeing in front of me.

When the cat urinates in front of the owner or on beds, furniture, or clothing, the message is clearly that the cat has a severe health problem, or that he is severely stressed by something in the environment.

He doesn't have a temperature and until I can get a urine sample from him, I'm a bit stuck on the health side of it.

For the OP, I read this and Brian is as ever spot on:

The bladder is the cat’s stress target. If the source of stress is the litter or the litterbox itself (too dirty, too perfumed, too confining or in a noisy area) then the stool or urine is often deposited right next to the litterbox.

Obviously with Jagger already stressed out, a trip to the vet wasn't fun. It really upset me to see him like that. But it had to be done, and now if I can get a sample, I can just take it in. I'm at my wits end with the foxes. There is also a new cat in the area that has been in our garden that probably isn't helping. I actually found an animal limb in the garden this weekend. From the fur that was still on it, I think it used to be a fox as they're not averse to a bit of cannibalism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd settle for rats right now, Jill - at least they won't stress my boys out like these foxes. I feel so helpless to fix this problem. I'm reading up on it again, but in general removal of foxes is considered cruel and in any case, another fox will just take its place. The best deterrents are artificial scent markers, but of course the cats will still think their territory is being invaded.

I definitely don't see the foxes so much now, but their calling cards are regularly left in our garden. I'm trying to remove them immediately, but that isn't a pleasant job - fox poo is the pits.

Jon has always assured me that foxes won't attack cats as he googled it, but I looked out of my window Friday evening on one of my regular checks on the cats, and there was a fox by my car, all hunched up in an aggressive way and stalking something. I dashed out and it was Hendrix. Hendrix wasn't weight bearing on one of his front legs that day due to a problem with one of his toe pads, and probably looked vulnerable to the fox. I chased it off, and both Hendrix and Jagger (who came to see what was going on) were distracted by a pigeon and went off over the road to try and catch it, when the fox reappeared and once again was being aggressive to Hendrix. I brought them both in at that point and fortunately Hendrix's paw was much better the next day and his limp was totally gone.

I'm stressed out with it now as well as the boys. Jon will be home in September so I'm looking forward to some help with it all, although its probably the last thing he wants to deal with! But like me, he is pretty upset to think of Jagger being in such a state and is really angry with the foxes now!!

This is definitely the worst the fox situation has ever been...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unwanted visitors can really ruin a happy environment. I limit the time my cats spend on the patio now and I am not so keen on being out there myself. Just as well since it is so hot and humid this time of year. Those pesky rats better be gone by November when it starts cooling off a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can also read on the internet that foxes will kill cats! Who knows. When one is hungry and there is a lack of a regular food source, an animal will eat almost anything. Unfortunately, these foxes are not scared and are coming right up to your home. This is really unusual as they prefer a more wooded environment. There doesn't seem to be a way for you to put a huge dome over your home and cars (I wish -- I would definitely have one myself). And unless you grab ALL the foxes, you will still have an issue! I believe one of the pictures you posted was taken during the day! I know Hendrix and Jagger are in the house at night. You can only hope that they do not find trouble with the foxes -- but it appears that Jagger has stress issues. Having another new cat around can just compound the situation. Cats have a very high sense of smell and you know your babies are territorial. Too many other creatures in their space. Unless you keep them both inside 24/7, it looks like there is not going to be a good answer to this. I really feel for you. Clare.

Jill, I hope those rats get gone soon! I'm sure there was a nest in your trees that got destroyed and they are looking for a new spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well they can't be hungry, whoever it is that feeds them, feeds them like kings - I regularly see them running by with half a roast chicken!

The photo you mentioned was taken at 7.15pm. I usually get the boys in about 7.30pm and on the whole, foxes are nocturnal. They are definitely not around so early in the evening now, but the runt of the litter was running around the garden again last night. This has gone on much longer this year than usual. I guess it has taken its toll on Jagger. The foxes poo on the lawn as well as the patio and I saw Jagger pooing on the lawn in retaliation yesterday morning.

Even if the boys were indoor cats, they would be stressed by the foxes as they come right up to the patio and conservatory windows, as did the new cat on the block... surprisingly it was Hendrix who hurtled off after that with his battle cry in full flow and me in support with my water pistol!

I have Scoot now and once the unsettled rainy weather goes through, I'll be applying that and see what happens. Reviews vary greatly from it works, and others who have said it makes no difference. I imagine that as these are urban foxes, it won't work!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Okay so last night I was on fox poo patrol and was checking in the borders and the old fox den that has been unused for quite some time has been recently dug out again and is definitely being used by one of the cubs. No wonder Jagger is stressed, a fox is not only visiting his territory regularly and scent marking all over it but is now living in it.

It's going to rain for the next couple of days but on Sunday I'm going to fill it in (again!) and place some really big rocks over it. When Jon gets back, I'm going to suggest we dig out all along that fence and lay chicken wire in the ground and then cover it up again so they can't just keep digging new holes into the den. I already know that the foxes can get through the weed control barriers that the previous house owners used as they've suddenly popped out in other areas so hopefully chicken wire will be more effective. When I get home today I will put one of the motion sensor fox deterrents by the den as well - I don't want the boys going near it anyway so I'm happy for them to scared away from that area for the time being.

Scoot (an artificial scent marker) will also be sprayed in all the obvious places they enter the garden, around the den etc on Sunday (that's going to be a busy day for me!) and I'm just hoping this will help Jagger calm down until Jon is home to help me with the issue.

Jagger did use his litter box last night but not the one I have set up to get a urine sample - typical. He was still agitated, came in to where I was sitting meowing and pacing, he checked out the box I've set up for his urine sample, but had me follow him out to the conservatory to see him use his litter box. I gave him a treat and praised him with lots of chin rubs for being a good boy. Hendrix of course is desperate to christen the new box so I have to shut it away when I'm not there to ensure only Jagger uses it...!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, is your yard fenced completely in? I would probably attempt to trap them and relocate them to a wildlife preserve where they could live out their lives not being a nuisance. It's hard when wildlife and humans and pets have to co-exist in the same area. I wish you could get some relief. It's bad enough you have to worry about Jagger and Hendrix, but now you have to deal with making sure foxes don't have a great time in your yard. If you're not feeding them, then I am not sure why they are visiting so much. The den can present a problem, that's for sure.