[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Cat poop problems!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat poop problems!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey everyone,

I really need your guys help, especially if you have any advice and have experienced this yourselves!

I have a 4 year old bengal cat called Dexter. He is so loving, affectionate and clever, like all bengals are. He's even been taught to use the toilet and often has no quarms doing so! However, there will be times throughout the year and for as long as I can remember really... where he will poop else where.

Let me give you the full story...

I bought dexter when he was 13 weeks old. He was fully litter trained and using the litter tray happily when I bought him home. However, when living with me, he often made his way to my bed, and peed on it. Especially after I had just changed the sheets, and sometimes even when I was sleeping in the bed! I thought that this may be down to him being a male cat and wanting to mark his territory, so following advice from my breeder, i got him neutered. That helped a lot, and Dexter stopped peeing on the bed!

I bought a toilet trainer kit for dexter, and after about 16 weeks of patient training, dexter was using the toilet independently! For number 1s and number 2s! I was so proud and happy with my clever boy and he was happy too... however... for unknown reasons.. dexter STOPPED using the toilet for number 2s after while, and instead decided to poop on the bed again.. but only on the side that i sleep on!

I started closing the bedroom door and keeping dexter out of the room which worked for a while.. but now.. he's pooping on the sofa.. on the cushion where I sit most frequently!

Admittedly, i have moved house a few times over the years Ive had him, and understand that this may be a contributing factor. However, i really need to find a way to make this stop!

I have honestly tried everything! Back before I got him neutered, i tried so many pet deterrents on the bed, from store purchased sprays, to orange peels, to vinegar even chilli powder (advice from the vet). NOTHING has worked!

I thought I was able to control the problem after shutting the bedroom door and making sure he can't open it again, but now he's doing it on the sofa!

I have tried feliway and anxiety drops and collars, none of them work. I have even bought back to litter tray and he still pees in the litter tray but poops either on the bed or on the sofa..

Im really at my whits end!

He has tonnes of toys and scratching posts and gets lots of attention from me and my partner.. i just don't know what to do anymore.

Please! Anyone who might have an idea of what to do.. anything at all.. i would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cat poop problems!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My advice was going to be to give him back a litter box, but you have done that. Most cats have the peeing outside of the litter box issue, not the pooping. Has he been checked out by a vet? You might want to run a stool sample down there just to make sure it's free of any parasites or other issues. The only good thing is if the poop is solid, it's much easier to deal with than urine, however, the area still has to be cleaned completely.

Some bengals enjoy using a human toilet. Many do not and it sounds as if he is not happy going #2 in there. Does he water splash up on him as it drops in the bowl? My cat uses a litter box so I have no idea how a toilet works with a cat and pooping. If he's been conditioned to using the toilet, then it may take a while to transfer back over to a litter box. Would not hurt to put in another one as well.

Hopefully, this is simply a behavioral issue and it can be solved once you hit on the reason it's happening.

Post subject: Re: Cat poop problems!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe he doesn't like having to go in a human toilet and the whole process has confused him. He sees you sit on the toilet and then he sees you sit on the sofa. I would stick with a litter box. Cats like to dig and scratch in their litter box and they are not crazy about water usually.