[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Please help - my cat regularly peeing on our Leather sofa
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I know that kind of posts were before, Sorry if this is a repeat but maybe someone has a new idea now what to do :question:

We have 3 cats: one Maine coon 6 years, one Bengal - 5 years and one Sphinx - 1 year, we have them from the young age - 14 weeks.

The main problem (and only one) we have with our Bengal Cat, she started peeing on our Leather Sofa 4 years ago and she was continue doing this every a few days/ week - anything works, I spent fortune trying to find something to clear / wash the smell but anything works, I was shouting, I was covering the sofa using some sofa covers, blankets etc, I had a Feliway Diffusers connected behind the sofa, I had a Feliway Diffuser Sprays, she has her own litter and tray (the other cats don't like the crystals litter which she is using) and her tray is not too far from the leaving room. She is regularly checked by the vet - no issues so PLEASE HELP WHAT TO DO ???

We put away the sofa - I was in hope if I buy new one she will maybe forget, so at the moment we dont have sofa, we are waiting for the new one which should be with us in 2 weeks time, and to have something to seat I put chairs from our garden and what she did? Pee on one of the chair ??? Please help, I dont know what to do? I dont want her to continue peeing on the new one when arrive and looks like she remember the place where was the old one and now we have chairs. She has many other things if we are talking about making her territory - next to sofa we have big Cat tree, we have her cat wheel, which only she is using, the other cats dont like to run on her wheel - everything around just for her. Please let me know what to do before the new sofa arrive?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! The inappropriate peeing situation is quite common in multi-cat households. First of all, shouting does not work with a bengal (I've tried!!! LOL). You should have at least four litter boxes for your kitties and it sounds as if this one could use a couple just for herself. Litter boxes need to be in an area of privacy! How does this bengal get along with your other cats? Is there any aggression? Do the other cats allow this kitty to use the litter box without any problems? Do you have a couple of tall cat trees? I don't know the situation in your home. How large of a home you have, do these cats have their own areas where they can get away from each other? You have multiple breeds -- which can compound the situation. Bengals are territorial -- even females. Where is she in the pecking order of your kitties?

This has been going on for a long while, so I am sure you've discussed this with your vet on the annual visits and she's been checked for crystals or a urinary tract infection! Just know that stress is usually the problem and things may be going on that you are not picking up on. Observe your three cats and their interactions with each other. Think about expanding your bengal's world with a catio or cat enclosure.

The only thing I can recommend with the new couch is that you keep the bengal out of that room at all times. If it is an open room, no not allow her access to get on the furniture. You should have several other options available to her (including the aforementioned cat tree).

Bless you for tolerating this for so long. It's not easy and cleaning up is a real pain! There is a chance she will avoid the new furniture, but you may have to spray it with something cats do not like. I've tried citrus and vinegar and have found it does not deter my cat at all.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe try putting a litter box where the sofa was located? This is very upsetting I am sure. She is trying to tell you something. Has she been checked out by a vet to rule out a medical problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think these problems fall into one of three categories:

1. Social problem
2. Medical problem
3. Dissatisfaction with litterbox situation

Obviously number 3 is the one that is easiest to fix, so one hopes it is that. For that one: more boxes, larger boxes, and boxes without hoods, and different types of litter are usually the solution.

For medical problems, it could simply be a case of your kitty hurts when she goes, so she associates that pain with a litterbox, and no longer wants to use the litterbox. So for that, the underlying medical issue has to be solved before the litterbox problem can be fixed. For that one, check for blood on her stools, and see if she seems to be straining to go. Also look at the poo, and see if it has "normal" consistancy.

For social problems, add "cat things" to the room. Cat shelving, cat trees, cat furniture, and use feliway (like you are). If there are problems between your cat and other pets, you may have to solve those issues to stop the peeing.

There are many many episodes of "My Cat From Hell" that deals with scenarios that are seemingly very similar to yours, so check those out.

Another option is to contact a cat behaviorist. I'm pretty sure this is the #1 thing that they deal with, so they are likely to have a real solid gameplan for dealing with this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

Thank you for all replays.

Social problem - she was second in our home, the first one arrived 6 years ago and after one year we bring home her, the first year was everything ok, I didn't notice anything - they are not Friends but as well i dont have any fights

Medical problem - It can't be a medical problem, the last time when I was to see a vet I mentioned this and she could not see anything wrong and this is going already 3 years.

litterbox situation - Maybe, I am not sure - but she has her own litter tray with crystals, the other two cats dont like this one and are not using and she prefer crystals than any other , the tray is just for her. I bought yesterday two more and all are with covers, different to what we are having now, lets see - maybe this will help

Next to the sofa we have A huge cat tree, i have cat tree almost on every room, she has as well her cat wheel. The feliway - I tried - doesn't work.

One thing which maybe will help - this weekend my husband is going to fit cat fence barrier in our garden, she will be sooooo happy, because at the moment she is only on the lead and she doesn't like at all, a few minutes and she wants back home, so i will have a two changes in her life - I hope something will work

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If her wheel and the tree she prefers are next to the sofa she may be marking her territory to keep the other cats away from "her stuff". It may be worth moving them each to a different separate place and seeing if that helps at all. Sort of expand her territory so she doesn't feel like she has to mark it.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I will move the wheel upstairs to my office becuase it wont be enough place when the new sofa arrive anyway, I hope she will like it becuase she is always where I am, but i have to add the other cats don't use her wheel at all, they dont like it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I sit in one particular leather arm chair in the living room. There is a table positioned behind it with sliding glass doors on either side of the corner. That table behind my head belongs to Grace. When I am in the chair during their napping hours, Grace sprawls out on that table next to my head. Blondie is either sleeping on my lap or standing on the end table next to my chair. Those places belong to Blondie. If it is not napping time and they are in the house, they are usually at my feet staring up at me giving me mental "feed me" messages. The front of the arms of the chair have puncture wounds they have delivered when they thought I should share something I was eating. That chair is mission control. They have silently taken ownership of every area around it. Grace pretty much picks the spots she wants to own and Blondie can choose from what is left.