It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:06 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 pm
Posts: 1836
I was cuddling with Blondie recently and I heard her make a little sound with her throat. Not exactly a sigh but a tiny grunt in the back of her throat. I made the same sound back to her and she did it again. We went back and forth like this for about a half hour. Then a few days later it happened again. It's as if she is having a conversation with me. She looks asleep with her eyes closed but she is not really asleep. This happened a couple of times with my last cat over the years. It makes me wonder if cat's try to communicate with us verbally.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm
Posts: 188
I think youre right. Spider does something similar when I have him in my arms and hes really relaxed. He will half close his eyes and make this little chirping noise. I did it back one day and he made the same noise again. Now we can do it for a few minutes before he starts to fall asleep.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:14 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 pm
Posts: 1836
zakadoh wrote:
I think youre right. Spider does something similar when I have him in my arms and hes really relaxed. He will half close his eyes and make this little chirping noise. I did it back one day and he made the same noise again. Now we can do it for a few minutes before he starts to fall asleep.


That's it exactly! I think it's an expression of contentment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:21 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm
Posts: 188
Yeah he seems like hes in ecstacy when hes like that! I actually get a little jealous he seems so content! Lol :biggrin:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:26 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Portland Oregon, USA
I used to have this cat that had this really amazingly big vocabulary of sounds that she could make, mostly for my benefit. One of the really funny ones was I would put my hand on her when she was sleeping, and she'd wake up and say "hmmMMM?".

I was reading one of the cat journals that I subscribe to this weekend, and they were theorizing that since a cat's meow (and presumably many of the other sounds they make) they only make for humans, it is probably a cat's way of mimicking (the best they can) human speech! So next time you say something to your cat, the rough translation to them is: "meow" :lol: They probably think we have a very limited vocabulary... we can't even purr or hiss!

_________________
The little monsters 3
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:28 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm
Posts: 188
brianj12 wrote:
I was reading one of the cat journals that I subscribe to this weekend, and they were theorizing that since a cat's meow (and presumably many of the other sounds they make) they only make for humans, it is a cat's way of mimicking (the best they can) human speech! So next time you say something to your cat, the rough translation to them is: "meow" :lol:


What a great idea, I love that

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8088
Cats are super intuitive! They love to communicate with us humans. Raiden hates it when I try to mimic a cry he's doing! But we do carry on our own conversations at times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 pm
Posts: 1836
brianj12 wrote:
I used to have this cat that had this really amazingly big vocabulary of sounds that she could make, mostly for my benefit. One of the really funny ones was I would put my hand on her when she was sleeping, and she'd wake up and say "hmmMMM?".

I was reading one of the cat journals that I subscribe to this weekend, and they were theorizing that since a cat's meow (and presumably many of the other sounds they make) they only make for humans, it is probably a cat's way of mimicking (the best they can) human speech! So next time you say something to your cat, the rough translation to them is: "meow" :lol: They probably think we have a very limited vocabulary... we can't even purr or hiss!


I guess that is why Blondie looks right at me and continues when I yell NO! She must hear MEOW

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:18 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:12 pm
Posts: 18
Image

Science!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 800
Location: London
I'm pretty sure my boy copies my hubby when he calls me by name. The sound he makes is almost identical to the tone of what my hubby does. Clive also does it straight after my hubby too which is soo funny because I have stereo calling for me sometimes on different floors LOL

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 pm
Posts: 1836
laurel wrote:
I'm pretty sure my boy copies my hubby when he calls me by name. The sound he makes is almost identical to the tone of what my hubby does. Clive also does it straight after my hubby too which is soo funny because I have stereo calling for me sometimes on different floors LOL


That's pretty funny. I could see a cat echoing someone calling out a name. I don't say much, but when I do talk to them, they generally respond with interest and attention rather than vocalization. The only time they speak is when I am fixing their food or if they want to go out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:47 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm
Posts: 188
CMYKjill wrote:
laurel wrote:
I'm pretty sure my boy copies my hubby when he calls me by name. The sound he makes is almost identical to the tone of what my hubby does. Clive also does it straight after my hubby too which is soo funny because I have stereo calling for me sometimes on different floors LOL


That's pretty funny. I could see a cat echoing someone calling out a name. I don't say much, but when I do talk to them, they generally respond with interest and attention rather than vocalization. The only time they speak is when I am fixing their food or if they want to go out.


I swear if anybody could hear me with my 2 sometimes they would think I had lost my mind!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 800
Location: London
CMYKjill wrote:
laurel wrote:
I'm pretty sure my boy copies my hubby when he calls me by name. The sound he makes is almost identical to the tone of what my hubby does. Clive also does it straight after my hubby too which is soo funny because I have stereo calling for me sometimes on different floors LOL


That's pretty funny. I could see a cat echoing someone calling out a name. I don't say much, but when I do talk to them, they generally respond with interest and attention rather than vocalization. The only time they speak is when I am fixing their food or if they want to go out.


I have to record it one day it's soo funny!!
Clive also adds a few letters of his own to my name for bigger impact Lol

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:53 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:26 am
Posts: 14
Attachment:
cat telepathic.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
In Ancient Egypt, cats were considered Gods... Cats have not forgotten this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:33 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 1212
Location: Portsmouth, England
LOL! This topic kills me.
Merlin rabbits on at me all the time - We have proper back and forth conversations, with him always having the last word or miaooow!
He demands to talk with anyone who phones me - often they only phone to speak with him - I'm a bit of an after-thought....
My Grandson will happily spend 20 mins talking to him, and I can put the phone down by Merlin, walk away, come back to the phone and they're still chatting.
I have messages left on the answerphone by family all the time for the damn cat! "Hello Merlin, I guess Mummy's not there...Miaooow, Meep, yaaarmp, meeeew!" and it goes on.
I have loads of hilarious videos of him talking, but don't know how to upload them here..... Any good advice?

_________________
XXX RIP My Beloved Merlin XXX
30/01/2000 to 28/03/2017.
GONE TOO SOON.


Mummy to Morgana - Merlins Legacy of Love


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey