It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Screaming and not eating
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone, I have a female seal mink that's just over a year old and recently we added a baby boy to our family. It took a couple days for them to get along and it's been ok for the last 3 weeks. Now we are back to her hiding in the bathroom and she's not eaten in two days. She screams at him all the time and I'm really worried about her.

Does anyone have an idea why she is behaving this way and provide some suggestions as to how I can make it better?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not eaten for 2 days and screaming ?

Get her to the vet now and get her checked out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sorry that was just a title for my post. She's always been a vocal cat as I've found most bengals to be. The problem is that she's been introduced to our new kitten and goes back and forth between liking him and not liking him. She is constantly hissing and screaming at him whenever he comes around. And for the last couple of days she's locked herself in whatever room she can get into and won't come out to eat. I've been bringing her food but obviously this is not an ideal situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm guessing the two kitties were not introduced properly over a period of weeks. Many people put the two cats together and hope for the best, but that is not how it works. Cats are highly territorial -- especially bengals. A new kitten has invaded their space. You do a very slow introduction by swapping scents and keeping the new kitten in a "safe" room with toys, bed, litter box, food and water.

I'm guessing your cat IS eating when you bring the food to her. If she's not, then take her to the vet to be checked out.

Some kitties want to be only children! Cats can eventually get along, but it doesn't happen overnight and takes time and patience from the owner. If there is any aggression, separate the cats. In fact, I'd start the "safe room" now and go from there. Swapping out scents, and then eventually bringing the new boy out and feeding them both in the same general area. Engage them individually with toys in the same room. Keep the distraction OFF each other.

It can take weeks or months for the cats to get along again. Be patient and work with the kitties every day. Hopefully, things will improve.