[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Camel crickets making my baby Bengal sick
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 am 
Bengal Kitten

My husband and I just got a new baby Bengal kitten. Only problem with him is he devours CAMEL CRICKETS, and after he eats the cricket he becomes VERY sick and vomits. If you try and take it away from him he then becomes CRAZY and growls smacks or fights back! If we are able to get the cricket out of his mouth, he then goes back and hunts for it! Just wanted to give a few details about our situation and any answers would be helpful! This is our first Bengal baby.,.Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your new baby is so adorable! My cats do the same thing with lizards. They have been capturing and eating them for a couple of years, but recently one of them gets very sick for about 24 hours after eating one. She throws up and doesn't eat for a day which is so unlike her. Hopefully she will put 2 and 2 together and stop eating them because the lizards are everywhere this time of year. There is no way to take a lizard away from one of them when they are hunting.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thnaks for replying, Your cat is beautiful too! I guess my main concern is Parasites picked up from ingesting the crickets. Do you know wether eating crickets can cause him to have worms.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think so. I wondered about salmonella with lizards and asked my vet if this could cause them to get sick. She didn't seem too concerned about it. They also eat the tiny frogs after chasing them around and playing with them. So far they haven't caused a problem. I hear crickets but don't see them in my patio area.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Never heard of kitties devouring crickets. Mine loves to catch these small flying bugs and eat them -- so far, no vomiting. I think you have to eliminate the cricket problem, so google getting rid of them. Your baby is adorable and super tiny -- I'm guessing he is not allowed outdoors, so the crickets are somewhere inside? I've never heard of camel crickets, but I guess they are simply crickets. They may have some type of "poison" that they use to kill whatever they eat -- and that can affect your kitty. I don't know that, but googling may give you some information.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the good advice. We did google it, and it seems they are harmless. Perhaps cooper just can't stomach them. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Supposedly humans in some countries eat crickets. They have a lot of protein -- may just be too much for your kitty! Also wonder if he eats them alive and they are wiggling down the digestive tract. You have really stumped me. As long as they aren't dangerous ... but I'd still try to get rid of the crickets so Cooper isn't finding them.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Sherry! the protien thing makes a lot of since. We'll be moving soon and pray the cricket population is smaller .