Another Bengal 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
A cat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A dog 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Anyone! They just need a friend! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Adding to our family
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:57 am 
Bengal Kitten

I got my boy, Dionysus, a year ago last month from my friend's sister, who was at the time moving to a new house, said that between her 3 kids (one being a new born), 2 other cats, and a dog, one had to give. She loved Dionysus, but she believed he wasn't getting enough 1 on 1 attention, and thought if she was going to relocate him anyway, it may be a good idea to try and find a better fitting home for him. Her sister, my friend, knew I had been talking about getting a cat (at the time I was living alone, and wanted something to come home to, but more low maintenance than a dog) and introduced us. All it took was a picture of my boy, and I fell in love. I had no idea my life would change so drastically. I literally knew nothing about Bengals, other than they're ancestors (and can be costly, so the fact I was getting him for free impressed me as well). The sister warned me, "he's not going to be a snuggly, lap cat, so if you're looking for a cutsey baby, keep looking." She said he mostly stayed under the bed, keeping to himself and not interacting with anyone in the family (feline, canine, or human). I assured her, this sounded like a perfect fit for me, because not only did I live alone, but I work a full time job and volunteer 3 nights out of the week at the local fire station. I thought it would be good for him to have a quiet home, one that he had all to himself most of the time. Boy was I wrong. I guess he was overwhelmed by how much activity she had at her house, but I truly feel like my extremely vocal and active boy is lacking the stimulation he needs here with me. Granted, I have a live in boyfriend now, so the attention he is receiving is increasing over time, but I still feel like he needs more play time than I can give him. He has the typical Bengal behaviors (talking, rough housing with me, following me around, ect). Before I go any further, I do want to say that this isn't one of those posts where I'm saying I'm overwhelmed or regretting getting him, I am absolutely in love, and I fall even more in clod each quirky moment that passes, my life would be torn in half if I didn't have him anymore. So this post is to seek some advice. We are now moving in about a month, to a much larger apartment than the one were in. I am hoping with the extra 600 sq feet, Dion will be happier with more room to run around and get some energy out. However, I am wanting to inquire any success/failure stories anyone has about adding to their Bengal homes. I'd think getting another cat so he has a mate will help as well, but I'm not sure if I can afford adopting a Bengal, so I am wondering if getting a more normal, fully domestic kitty will be just an easy target for my Tasmanian devil, and I'd possibly a pup of some sort might be a better option? However, let's say I do manage to get another Bengal, my home time is going to stay the same (my boyfriend is also a fire fighter, and works during the day) is going to remain at the same amount, and I would hate to take in another Bengsl and not be able to give that one all that he/she deserves. Please help a girl out! What has worked for you guys in the past?
Thanks so much!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Adding to our family
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww, what a cutie! Welcome to the forum. First, we recommend a tall cat tree. Bengals love to climb and it becomes THEIR spot! As for adding another pet for stimulation -- my bengal is 9 years old and an only child. Bengals, especially males, become highly territorial. You didn't say how old this bengal is. It is really difficult to say what type of pet would be a great companion. Some accept kittens, some accept older kitties, some accept dogs. It depends on the cat and how the introductions are handled. I am hoping someone who has multiples will weigh in on this as many here have multiple kitties and dogs in the same household and can offer up a better opinion for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you! He just turned 2, and I agree, I believe he would be extremely territorial, which is why I am extremely hesitant to add anyone else, only for it to be a huge failure and have to relocate them. I think I'll first get through moving, and adding a tall cat tree (I have a medium sized one, and you're right, it's totally his safe zone) and go from there. I am hoping this will make him a happier cat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with you -- get settled into your new home and see how your bengal does there. It's wonderful that you are taking this kitty in -- and I'm sure he will love living with you. Cats do not always need playmates -- they have one -- YOU! Spending time with your bengal, playing with them, even walking them on a harness and leash can be invigorating for you and your kitty!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:39 am 
Bengal Kitten

I would love to leash train him, but I have read several times on this site that it is great for our babies, but they become aggressively dependent on it, and frequently get upset if they don't get walked...so I am a little hesitant on it. What are your thoughts?