[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Is a Bengal for me?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a Bengal for me?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So, I have spoken to different breeders, told them all about my situation. And now I have asked people on a Danish forum if a Bengal could work for me. I am getting rather confused. There are both Yes's and No's. Can you guys help me out?
Here is how I describe my situation.

I'm a 23-year old woman living in Denmark, looking to get 1 kitten when I move to my own place - a 400 square foot apartment with 1-2 separate rooms. (Kitchen and bathroom are in their own rooms).
I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome, anxiety connected to mild Agoraphobia, Cynophobia and Social Phobia and HSP(Highly Sensitive Person). And also Endometriosis, Dysmenorrhea and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
I am home 20-24 hours every day.
I am pretty much looking for a cat that will be a companion, an anchor point, a challenge. I have had cats before, moggies only, but have, since I was 6 years old, been dreaming of getting a purebred.

I have a slight cat allergy, which only shows itself when I am around long-haired breeds. I have been to visit breeders and checked my reactions. Even should it turn worse, I am not prepared to give up one if the only things that are bringing me joy in my life.
I am prepared to dedicate a lot of time to this kitten and will do everything I can to make it as stress-less as possible. I have planned to implement lots of vertical space in the shape of cat trees, shelves and pretty much turning my whole home into cat heaven.

Is a Bengal for me?
Or should I give up on the idea?

Post subject: Re: Is a Bengal for me?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Most of the arguments I encounter sounds like this:

"You cannot have a Bengal alone, you must have another cat at the least"
Probably the most often used argument. And also the one that fills up most in my doubts. One literally said "Bengal as a lone indoor cat - it's doomed to fail"

"You cannot have a Bengal in such a small place"
In this argument, they also use the fact that Bengals are vocal, and will use their voice all hours of the day. They'll wake you up in the middle of the night.

"If the breeder tells you otherwise, they just want to earn money"

We have a moggie who is very much like a Bengal. Oscar loves water, he loves using his voice(he sounds like a crying baby) if we don't come let him in, or out. He loves to head bonk me and he loves to play - if you pull a string next to him he will be all over it, sleeping or not. He will push things off any surface if he thinks it will be a good plaything. He is not a lap cat.
I love when he follows me around as I walk through the house.
I just wish, once I move, to get a cat that is as engaged in me as I will be in it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Are the people giving you advice actual bengal owners or just people who want to give you advice? Bengals are not like your ordinary moggie, but that does not mean they are not incredible creatures. They are very social, bond closely with their owner. Your bengal will not go hide in a corner and nap 20 hours a day. Bengals want to be with their owners, although many are not lap cats or want to be picked up and held. If you get a kitten who has been well socialized with humans, they can be extremely happy sleeping on your lap or beside you.

I think your problem is that you're allowing other people to affect your decision. This is your life, your apartment, your cat. If you want a bengal, get a bengal. I think one could help with a lot of your social issues as the kitten will be a companion. You've already explained in another topic that you have family who can help you in social situations with your cat that you are not comfortable with -- such as going to the vet.

If you can afford the bengal and your heart is set on a bengal, GET A BENGAL and stop worrying about what other people say. We here on the bengal forum have bengals and we survive having them. We are here to answer questions and help with any situation that you my encounter. The support on here is incredible.

So, stop going back and forth about this ... and go with your heart! Get the bengal. You will be fine! The bengal will be fine. And you will have a happy life as long as you understand bengals are highly vocal, have so much energy, and you will need to spend considerable time with your bengal. Since you are home almost 24 hours a day, this is not a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think this forum is the greatest !!
You guys are so nice and really into bengals :D
I will go with my heart then! Sink or swim.
And I will certainly be active a lot here when I get offered an apartment - that's when the true hunt begins XD haha

I'm working on buying a Bengal wheel, so I think in the deepest parts of me I truly think a Bengal is just right for me. I've also been looking at Hicat.co.uk and their amazing climbing poles. Very cool.

But sometimes those negative outputs, not only from friends online, but also from my extended family, can really get me down. But my mom is incredibly supportive and so are my closest friend.

I am convinced that the kitten shall be spoiled rotten XD
Until then I'll try to read more behavior, to be as prepared as I can be. It might just help understanding our moggies a bit better too :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A cat wheel is a good idea if you have the room for one. One of my cats has never set foot on it. She doesn't like things that move. My other cat runs on it all the time now. She rarely went on it the first several months, but now about a year later she hops on all the time to run and make noise. Sometimes she even sleeps on it. I guess the wheel is her property. My cats rarely share property.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would definitely get a bengal if I were you. Obviously a bengal will be, and make, a lot of presence (physically and acoustically) as everybody says but I think that you'll be best pals in no time.
I myself am pretty much a loner and quite anti-social (although more or less by choice in my case) and my kitties are the most lovely guys in the world, even though Lily does my head in by climbing that bloody banana tree every time she thinks I'm not looking :biggrin:. I actually do have two but I'm away from home for at least 11 hrs a day so having only one would be a problem (for the kitty) but since you're at home all day I'm sure yours will be one exceedingly happy kitten.

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I picked up that you are living with Asperger's Syndrome - If you are higher spectrum, then a Bengal would most definitely NOT be for you. They are high intensity, and can be extremely noisy. Both things that will put added pressure on your day to day coping strategies.

I have a tendency towards OCD with certain things, and have had to find workarounds for loads of triggers to cope with my Bengal, as he is demanding, noisy, and will simply trash my house on occasion! He has no respect for me, as I am simply his servant... :sarcastic_hand:

If you are hesitant to go out, then you will ideally need an indoor cat - If a Bengal escapes, they normally get the taste for 'freedom' and you have then pretty much condemned yourself to a noisy monster who will want to be outside all the time... There are other forms of exotic that would be good for your allergy - Sphynx, Abyssinian, Peterbald - all of which will be content to be an indoor cat and all of the ones I have met are not bothered about outdoors if given love and stimulation in doors. My friend has two Peterbalds, they are adorable, and I would certainly consider that breed instead of a Bengal, if I was in your position.

Good luck, and keep hunting - The perfect furbaby is out there for you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it is wonderful that this forum can offer up many opinions. That's what forums are for. I'm not familiar with Aspergers. But I do know there is a huge difference between someone just HANDING you a cat because they think you need one and WANTING a bengal because you WANT a cat. Yes, bengals are super vocal. Mine tends to be when he wants his morning and afternoon walks. Right now he is grooming himself and has napped and has been quiet since we came back from our morning walk.

NO cat is going to be perfect! Even a moggie can have issues. The original poster desires a bengal. She's doing her best to research to make sure she is prepared. Many bengals have never tasted the outside world except on trips to the vet. We can't worry about "if's" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda." Life is complicated and short enough as it is. Life is what it is! And we make the best of any situation that comes our way. DeathZhade has a LOT to think about and it sounds as if the process has been thought through. Seeking approval and acceptance from friends and family is great, but inevitably, it is YOU who has to live with the cat and it's YOUR life that will be affected (good) with a cat. Know, too, that cats are extremely intuitive and can sense when you are anxious. And many are the stress reliever you are looking for.

New kittens when first brought into a new environment will be stressed out and may hide! As long as you do not take that personally, you will be fine. It can take a couple of weeks for the kitten to become comfortable enough to join you. But, it will come and you will have years and years and years together.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every cat has it's unique personality. I often think pets reflect their owner's energy, but not always.

My cats love being out on the patio, but Blondie bounces inside and out. She doesn't let me out of her sight. She could easily live strictly indoors. The weather has been just spectacular and I keep finding her inside playing with a spring toy or just staring at me. I keep telling her to go out and play. They both seem to really like it when I go out on the patio with them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Fenstar, thanks for weighing in. Always love reading your opinions. Know that I've missed reading them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haha, no - I do not think I would like a lap cat. That's mainly what's drawing me to Bengals. Their curiosity, their Intelligence, their naughty mischief ^^ I can't imagine anything I'd like better than a cat that will challenge me to do things I would never have considered myself doing. I love talking to cats and having one follow me around when I do house-stuff. I can't think of anything I like more (maybe chocolate?)
Sadly my life is pretty much just "get up, food, tv/iPad, lunch, tv/iPad, dinner, tv/iPad, go to bed"
I don't work - I just kinda wait around for things to happen.
Going to my Ergotherapist once a month, my social worker or physiotherapy.

It's not boring per se, it's just not very engaging either. I think I would benefit greatly from a cat, especially one that would be less "sofa cushion" and more "let's play".
If that makes sense.

The on,y real issue I can think of, is my own perfectionism and fear of doing anything wrong, getting in the way of me enjoying it :/ But I think I will manage - it's hard to think of doing it wrong when they purr so sweetly XD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

My son has Aspergers Syndrome but he is only 12 years old. There are no two people with AS (Aspergers) who are the same and my son is not bothered in the slightest by noisy cats.

I think it would be great for you to get a Bengal and what a lucky Bengal it would be. Sounds like it will be spoilt rotten!

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie