It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everybody! :biggrin:

I just joined today as I'm a soon to be first time Bengal owner!

I pick up my little boy in early June (13 weeks old) and I'm very excited. I just have a couple of questions I'd like answered so that I can make his transition into my life as smooth and easy as possible.

So, a little bit about myself. I'm a student who goes to school about a two hour flight time from home. I won't be coming home often, likely just Christmas break (2 weeks) and *possibly* summer (4 months). He will be raised at my family home as the only pet until I return to school in September so the place will not be unfamiliar to him when he returns in December.

I was wondering about people's experiences flying their bengals and how to make the experience the least stressful possible?

This leads me to my second question. Do you think the occasional flying and the movement between 2 familiar homes will cause spraying issues?

I will be able to deal with occasional accidents but I am still renting for a couple of more years and although my landlord has a pet deposit and damage deposit, I know I do not have the resources right now (steam cleaners, etc) to fully remove large reoccurring messes.

I am planning on getting him neutered shortly after I bring him home so I'm hoping that will also reduce the chance of spraying. I also could likely find a pet sitter for the 1-2 week break if I must, but I'd prefer to bring him home with me.

I'm starting to get pretty bad anxiety trying to make sure that everything will be perfect and set up correctly, and that I will not be putting him through anything that will stress him out too much.

Any advice is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just moving a 13 week old bengal into your home will be stressful enough for the kitty. But, you've asked about risks of spraying. I have a 9 year old male who was neutered at 12 weeks and he sprays. We take daily walks and he sprays all the bushes, trees, the side of our house, our garbage can. He has even sprayed recently in the house. It's a territorial thing and it's an impossible habit to break.

As for flying your bengal ... many kitties travel. Airlines have their rules. The best thing is to have the kitten in the cabin with you. Airlines limit the number of pets in the cabin, so you would have to plan early. Check with the airline long before you actually have to fly with the kitty. You'll need a soft carrier, small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. If you get a howling bengal, that could be a problem with the other passengers.

With many kitties, just being in new surroundings can have an affect on them. A lot may depend on how well the kitty bonds with you. You will be stability for him. Know, too, that if you're stressed out about thing, your kitty will sense that and could become stressed out.

You've taken the dip into the bengal world, so it will be what it will be. Hang in there, take deep breaths, and enjoy the little guy.