It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Neighbour complaint
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:52 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi all, I've been searching the forums for info on harnesses and I keep finding discussions on letting cats out or keeping them inside. Being an American living in the UK I just wanted to point out there is a huge cultural difference in the opinion of keeping cats inside. The vast majority of people in Britain let their cats out, in fact cat flaps on the doors are very common. I don't personally know anyone who keeps their cats in besides myself. But in the USA letting cats out, especially in a city, is viewed as irresponsible. So it's complete opposite mindsets on the subject.

For the record we don't have critters like raccoons to worry about in England, there are plenty of foxes but I haven't heard of a fox attacking a cat (?). I never see stray dogs, really never.

I've had many conversations with people who seem shocked I don't let my Bengal roam as its viewed as unnatural here. So....early on I gave it a try and let him out. Unlike the other British cats who seem to happily stay more or less in their own gardens, my Bengal would disappear for hours on end. We discovered he was travelling quite far and chasing cats inside their houses following them inside through the cat flaps! We had complaints of him attacking and hurting the neighbour's cats. We never saw or heard him doing this, never saw scratches on him either. But one day when he came home with a tuft of white cat fur in his mouth and another complaint by a neighbour who had to take their cat to the vet after another fight we knew enough was enough.

I do believe, Bengals have a natural desire to roam further and being outdoors with other cats can bring out more natural aggression and wildness in them. They have the advantage of being stronger and faster and more agile. It's really an unfair fight against a normal cat in my opinion.

I think it's great if you live in an area where it would be safe to let a cat roam without roads to get squashed or neighbor's to bother, but let's face it, most of us don't. I've learned to ignore the comments of others and now do what's right for the life of my cat, (and at the same time protecting my neighbor's cats!). If you are letting your Bengal out and neighbour's are saying he is attacking their cat, I would have to assume it is true. It's the very nature of a Bengal, they are only doing what comes naturally to them. In the house our Bengal is sweet and affectionate - but outdoors he transforms into something much more wild!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sandra, you don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you choose to keep your kitty inside. It isn't anybody's business. Those in the UK who want to turn their cats loose can do so, but there is no right answer as to whether a cat should be allowed outside. Yes, you can harness and leash train your bengal and outdoor walks can be wonderful -- but you cat will insist on them. My Raiden gets two a day and that's not enough for him. I love how UK'ers seem to think if they don't have coyotes, raccoons, or wandering dogs, their cats are safe. Well, cars have been known to hit cats, male cats tend to fight, humans who hate cats can catch and injure. Children can love to hurt kitties. And I'm sure there are poisons cats can get into (like rat poison). So, there are dangers in the UK as well and, unfortunately, we've had many posts from the UK on here where cats have gotten lost, killed, etc.

Should you wish to get a harness for your kitty, many recommend the fabric walking jackets that can be made especially for your cat. I use an H harness on Raiden. It goes around the neck and clasps and around the chest and clasps and the leash is attached to the chest area so there is no pressure put on the neck. As always, you need to get your kitty used to the harness before you ever go outside and many will simply fall over and act paralyzed when you put it on. Or they may fight the harness. You try treats for distraction. Once a cat realizes it can walk wearing the harness, you're okay. I put the harness on mine and he was ready to go out the door in 2 minutes, so off we went. And we've been doing it ever since. Rain or snow or sunshine, temps in the 20's or 100's. He doesn't care!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I live next door to a beautiful, huge, Bengal. He is approx 3 and is lean and muscular and loves to jump out of the bushes at people and dogs alike that walk by. I'm afraid one day he will pounce on the wrong dog but he is fearless. He also sneaks into my house and attacks my 13 year old sister cats. Sunday he made it upstairs and attacked my sleeping girl on our bed and really thrashed her. $735 later at the vets and she has been all sown up (multiple ripping tears on her tummy and sides). Home with the cone of shame on and pain medication. We are working with our neighbor to try and solve this problem and for now my dog can't go in our backyard while we are at work because I have to keep the dog door locked as I think the Bengal probably would have killed my cat if my husband hadn't been home to chase him out of our house. My neighbor has put up a cat fence around her back yard, which her cat escapes from easily. She originally tried to make him a house cat but she gave up on that. He's a very cool cat. I just wish he'd stay out of my house and away from my cats but he really has a thing for them. So please know - Bengals can be aggressive and can do some serious damage to a regular cat. I equate the thumping my kitty got to a 90 year old 100 lb lady getting attacked and beaten by a 20 yr old, muscular thug. Nightmare :/