[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - OMG HELP ME!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OMG HELP ME!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am going to lose my mind: for the last 3ish or so weeks Suri has been non stop peeing on the landing at the bottom of our stairs. NOTHING is stopping this behavior. Ive gone through probably 2 gallons of Urine Destroyer cleaners, used the carpet cleaner a couple dozen times, put up baby gates to try to deter her, hell Ive even chased her off the landing spitting and hissing like a pissed off cat....NOTHING. Im 95% sure there are no other cats around, as this is a new apartment complex and Ive never once even SEEN a cat roaming around outside (anywhere) since living in NY. Weird, but true. Her litter box is cleaned daily. Sure, she will pee and poo in it when she chooses to, but she is obssessed with peeing on the bloody landing. I cannot put another litter box there, as it would impede our being able to go up and down the stairs. (very small landing with not much space, and its RIGHT in front of the bottom step that she pees)

No health issues, no UTI (vet checkup done already), and she doesnt act distressed at all. Shes her usual self other than this peeing!!! Im going to go crazy!! All I can smell is the stench of cat pee! My husband says he doesnt smell anything, but I sure can. So, so gross.

Later today Im going to go buy a huge jug of white vineagar and saturate the entire carpet with the entire bottle, let it sit, then bust out the carpet cleaner again. Currently there is an entire bottle of Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer Just For Cats Advanced (red bottle) soaking the whole landing, walls, and bottom 2 stairs.

What else can I do to end this?!

Post subject: Re: OMG HELP ME!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just scrubbed and moped at the carpet after allowing the Urine Destroyer to sit for over an hour. I then used a black light to see if any stains remained.... nothing. But the smell is still there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

put a small paper bowl of cat biscuits over the area she pees after you have cleaned it. Keep the bowl topped up with a few biscuits and treats every day. The idea is they won't pee where they eat and to give a new meaning to the area. If it is on the landing is there a window that she can look out of? Just thinking of the possible other cat outside???

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Suri hates treats of any kind, but maybe Ill start feeding her her wet food down there. She gets that 3x per day. Will keeping her food and water bowl on the landing help curb this, or will it just encourage her to spend even more time down there? There is no window down there at all, and the landing is a good 5 ft from the front door....

Will retraining help? It sounds mean, but Im to the point where she will have to be kept locked in the bathroom again any time she isnt right with me. (like right now shes laying on the bed with me, my bedroom door closed) Just like when I first brought her home.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If she does not eat dry food, you could feed her wet food in that place but I would keep her water where it is now. Another idea is to get a lovely scratch post to cover the area so she can scratch and play in that spot, making happy and secure links with the area. I just covered up areas where Oscar peed either with bowls of biscuits or scratch post etc. I am not hugely experienced with Bengals as have only had one for 18 months but it worked for me when Oscar was peeing. Good luck and hope you can stop the little madam peeing on your landing!

UK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I seem to recall you have dogs too?? Just a thought but does Suri only pee on the landing at certain times of the day as you mentioned she does use the litter tray too? Could she feel insecure about using her litter boxes at certain times ie when the house is noisy and dogs/kids running around? Also what is at the bottom of the landing stairs? Is it your front door? I don't think disciplining her will be possible as she will not understand. Unless you catch her in the act and put her straight in her tray!

UK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She eats dry food, kept available to her 24/7. I could always try putting her food and water downstairs. Its certainly worth a shot. I just want this to STOP. She just won a huge cat tree from TICA that Id put there in the corner, but I really dont think it will fit. Itd eat up the whole landing. The landing is pretty dinky. Hauling groceries in can be a challenge its so tight. *sigh

No, we have no other pets at all. Just her. Her litter box is in a nice, quiet, private area so she can go in peace. She ALWAYS has access. She DOES still pee (and poop) in her litter box daily, but then pees downstairs several times a day as well. There seems to be no specific time she decides to do this, she just jets downstairs, pees, and comes back upstairs. The kids could be at school and she does it. They could be home and she does it. Its not even conveinient, as her litter box is closer!! Ive caught her mid pee MANY times and immediately scruffed/ scolded her, then hauled her butt to her litter box and just left her locked in the bathroom for a time out. Very frustrating. Also, just to clarify, she is squatting and peeing, not spraying.

The only thing downstairs is the front door and the door to the garage, but she doesnt go near either door. No windows, no furniture, nothing interesting. Its ALWAYS just the landing. The space is maybe 3ft x 3ft. Certainly not much more than that. The front door is seen there to the left, and the garage door is on an adjacent wall....but she doesnt go that far down. Grrrrrrr.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It almost sounds like she's marking that as her territory. I wonder if there have been other animals around the front door that she's smelling. Even 5' away a cat would be able to smell another animals urine.

In addition to feeding her there to make some "good" associations can you put a Feliway diffuser near there?

Distilled white vinegar will help with the odor in the carpet, it neutralizes the pH in the urine. Soak it leave it for an hour or so then use the carpet machine to soak up the excess and let it air dry. The house will smell like a salad but when it dries the smell will be gone. I had to do that at our old house because 1 cat was peeing under our bed. No one ever smelled it once I used the vinegar.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my hell you know what I just realized....the neighbor that just moved in under us has a dog. They walk right by our front door to head to the potty area across the street. I bet thats whats making her pee downstairs. I totally forgot about them. (never met them, soooo, yeah) If THATS the case, then I guess this will be a never ending issue.

I did just order a Feliway spray bottle to spray all over the area. If that helps but only a little, Ill try that plus the diffuser.

LOL....."your house will smell like a salad..." Ill be sure to treat with vinegar when my hubby is at work then so he doesnt get pissy about the smell. (no pun intended) I REALLY am hoping neutralizing odors will help deter her...

In the mean time, she will just have to be confined unless 100% supervised.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Can you put a gate or door at the top of the stairs so she can't go down there?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yep, I put one up this morning. I give her 5 mins of study before she figures out she can hop it. Lol....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Deputy! Poor Suri. I think you found the problem -- dog smell! The smell of another dog or cat can permeate into your property. A cat's sense of smell is like 14 times greater than ours. I am really hoping this is the problem, but now you have to come up with a solution. I would do my best to keep Suri upstairs and away from any area that would be near where the dog is. As we've all learned here .... stress is usually the culprit! And dogs can be extremely stressful to cats -- especially a new smell. It is possible that as time goes by, Suri will get used to the dog smell (she doesn't know it's a dog). In the mean time, keep her away from that area of your home if you can. Your landing is small, but if I had a multi-level home, I would have a litter box on each level. It's more convenient for the cat. In the meantime, you could feed her in that area, but if you can still smell the urine, so can Suri. And I'm not sure she would like eating there.

I am still working on Suri's pedigree and see what you were talking about with the inbreeding just five generations away. If you think that is bad, I've uncovered a ton of the same cats with every cat -- so it is never ending. So far, one of her GGG Grandparents (Lakewood Carolina) is an F4, so that would make Suri an F9 at the very most. Still have a ways to go, however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, the baby gate is still working for now. She WANTS to jump it but hasnt tried yet. Hopefully it doesnt have to become a permanent fixture....

Oh how neat Sherry!! THANK YOU for doing this! I can can tell its quite a bit of work. I guessed Suri would be an F8 or F9 after seeing her pedigree. Hahaha, not long ago I got into an online "discussion" with a breeder who REFUSED to believe she was anything more than an F3. Even advising I had a 5 generation pedigree that didnt show a single ACL in it wouldnt shut her up. She was adamant that bengals past an F4 become too washed out to be even recognized as bengals, and that TICA or the breeder made a mistake with her papers. Some people. *rolls eyes*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It might be too scary to jump over to descending stairs. However if she jumps on the top edge she might go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL....Im pretty sure thats her exact train of thought. She really sucks at catting, so anything requiring the balance, coordination and skill that most cats have....she fails. Its entertaining really. She can hardly sit in my lap without rolling off!