[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Chewing wood
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chewing wood
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They both love the new scratcher. I think sprinkling a little catnip inside really helps keep them interested. Blondie is on her back with her paws on the air sniffing and playing with every toy she can get her hands on. I got some of those little springs, and they love playing with them. Lots of growling, hissing and chasing going on. I just ordered a couple of cat and dog nylabone chews, and the bitter Apple spray arrives later today. I need to pay more attention to this before it becomes deep rooted behavior. There is another half eaten rubber ball on the floor this morning. Blondie will also rub her mouth on the night stands and pretend to chew but that is just because she sees Grace doing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is what it looks like.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Are you positive Grace isn't a beaver? That's some heavy damage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know...I keep hoping it is a phase. I have never had a cat that damaged thing in my home like this. When she was young, she chewed electric cords. Eventually she stopped doing that. She has everything she needs and acts loving toward me at certain times. She was on the patio until midnight last night frolicking in the cool weather and rain. When she came in for the night she seemed so happy. She has been prancing around the house today playing with toys and Blondie. I just can't see where her stress is coming from. She seems to love our routine. I'm just not sure how to help her. Blondie is so easy going and joyful. Grace is so serious and strong willed. She is napping right now up inside the box spring of the guest bed she chewed. They ripped the bottom out and crawl up in there when they want privacy.

I sprayed the areas she was chewing with bitter apple and ordered some more chew toys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jill, the sad thing is -- how on earth are you going to fix the damage -- or do you end up buying new furniture?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, she only goes after sharp edges. There doesn't seem to be any interest in rounded edges. The rest of the light country style bedroom furniture is all rounded so it is untouched. I have some paint that is a very similar color so I think I am going to sand the edges she chewed and paint them. Then later spray them with bitter apple which seems to be doing it's job.

The teak planter is ideal because it is at mouth height for her. I guess I will sand the edges, stain it again and keep using the bitter apple.

As far as the dark night stands go...I think they are beyond saving, but I will cover the raw wood with paint to make it less appealing to her. I need to break the habit or she will just keep moving onto other things. They use them as a runway between cat trees and the bed. They chase each other up and down the clouds, across the night stands and up and down the trees. It really is something to see.

Last night was quite chilly and they both climbed on top of me in bed and kneaded me until they fell asleep. Even with all their quarks I just adore the two of them.