It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

OP here -- it's been a month now. It turns out he's an SBT, and all of his great-grandparents are also SBTs, so I guess that means he's primarily domestic cat.

He has a lot of energy and loves to leap when playing, but in my experience that's not much different from any other youngish cat. The one behavioral thing that's new to me is his vocalizing... he definitely has quite a broad "vocabulary" of specific meows for different situations. He's not turned out to be a big cuddler but definitely likes being petted when he's done playing, and usually likes to sleep somewhere on the people bed at night.

Strangely enough, he hasn't at all been a pest about trying to get outside, although he was allowed to roam before he came to us.

About bonding, I spend a lot more time with him than my girlfriend does (she's got a normal day job, I work from home), and it's clear he has come to trust me more than he trusts her (I get nose smooches, but he turns his head away if she gets too close). Again, I think that's about par for most adult cats with new people, and my concern that there would be additional difficulties due to him being a Bengal seems to indeed have been unfounded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Know that most of the bengals these days are well above an F4 -- I'm seeing F11s. Happy to hear the settling in is going well. Bengals tend to bond more closely with one person, although in my Raiden's case, he seems to love his daddy more than me as he will sit on HIS lap to get massaged. If you've only been around regular cats, you will discover the bengal is completely different! They have a lot of different cries. And they definitely love to be where there humans are. Raiden sleeps with us at night -- on MY side of the bed.

It's great that he does not appear to want to go outside. Should this become an issue, bengals usually will walk on a harness and leash. Just know that this leads to insisting on walks. I am up to two a day with my bengal and in the summer with lots of daylight, it looks like it may end up being three as he will start howling when he wants to go out and he will not stop until is paws hit the pavement. There are also catios and cat enclosures that you can buy or build that will allow your kitty the outdoor fresh air he may crave.