It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal poos EVERYWHERE
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello! I have a huge problem that has been ongoing for a year and I have tried everything to make it stop. My Bengal cat, three years old, has been pooping outside his litter box every time. He does not discriminate location or surface. He has probably gone in every spot and surface in my home by now. I have tried changing litter types, multiple litter boxes, getting him checked by a vet, changing his diet (he's raw fed now), using litter attractant, pheromone sprays and plug ins, cat repellent, the list goes on and on. I believe it started when our German Shepherd would bark at him and sometimes chase him whenever she sees him. We brought in a dog trainer who has pretty much solved the issue of the dog. But he has not stopped his behavior. I am sick of cleaning up his poops and finding them in new spots everyday. His poops are normal, free of any medical excuse. He's pooped in the open and in hidden places. He pees in his litter box every time, it's his poop that he doesn't seem to want to use his potty for. I am at my wits end with this problem!! Please help. Is it possible to get him to stop this habit?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would say it's definitely the dog that is freaking him out. Poor boy :cry: Are the litter trays in areas that are dead ends? If so he may just feel too vulnerable to use them with the dog around. Could you try having an area/room/upstairs that the dog cannot access and is only for the cat and have a litter tray there? You need to look very critically at the location of the litter trays and make sure he can always have multiple escape routes from them so he does not feel in danger. He may use them to pee to try and mark his territory but not feel confident to do the other or maybe pooing to mark territory. Whatever the reason, he is territorially insecure and needs help. He is not doing it to be naughty. I really hope others on here have suggestions also to help him achieve appropriate litter box habits. You could also try, if you have not already, cat trees, shelves and high up safe areas for him to increase his confidence. Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

He has a bathroom that is all his and the upstairs is off limits to the dog. I will have to try the cat trees and shelves idea. Thank you for your suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not a cat behaviorist but I'm thinking your doggie is the problem. Even if you have the dog trained, there's still that fear instilled in your kitty! As long as that remains, the situation is not going to change. It's gone on so long that it's simply the way your kitty is going to relieve himself. Does he use the litter box to pee in? I believe your kitty is using the feces to "mark" territory -- which is why you are finding it all over your house. There is some type of insecurity going on with your cat. Your large dog can be intimidating, especially a loud bark. Most cats want a tranquil, peaceful environment. Look around and see what is going on in your surroundings. If your dog is hyper, that could be a problem. I'd purchase at least another cat tree and put it in an area where the cat can be at peace and away from the action.

You've tried a lot of things, but obviously have not hit on the perfect solution yet. Since I doubt you will get rid of your doggie, you're going to have to accommodate your kitty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you! Yeah it feels to me like he's gotten so used to eliminating outside the litter box I can't imagine him switching back to going in it. Definitely need to work on getting those cat trees.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cat trees and shelves. Jackson galaxy calls it catification and the cat superhighway. Think about making your cat able to go from one end of the room to the other not on the floor, utilising furniture that is already there and also shelves ie tree to shelf to back of sofa to shelf to another tree!!. Just to tell you how sensitive these kitties are, I have had a problem with my boy today. We are doing loads of decorating and had totally emptied our large spare room. The room is covered in dust sheets and stinks of paint. It has totally freaked Oscar out to see furniture piled up on the landing. Anyway, he went into the spare room, sniffed in each corner as if he did not know where he was and squatted to pee. I shouted to stop him and picked him up, put him in his upstairs tray and he peed. Thank goodness I watched him. Just the fact that the room has changed has made his instinct to pee to mark come back.

UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a thought but I would pick up his poo and put it back in the litter tray so when he goes in to wee, the poo is there and it may kick some instinct into action for him to bury it and you never know...........it could help!

UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you will definitely try!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My heart goes out to your kitty! Cats definitely prefer going in a litter box than going outside of the litter box. You wish your kitty could talk and tell you what is going on. Your baby is telling you something isn't right -- kitty is not happy. I do believe catification may help -- giving your kitty climbing choices with no dead ends. Jackson Galaxy has a couple of books out on it with some great idea. Things do not have to be expensive. Stacking cubes as steps if you can't put shelves on the wall. Bengals LOVE tall cat trees and being high up so they can look down on the world. I think if you elevate the space between your dog and your kitty, you may see some improvement. Some people have even gone so far as elevating the litter box. Try some of these new ideas and see what happens and let us know ....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Will definitely try putting that plan in action, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Keep us informed on your progress!