[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing young cats / kittens to the great outdoors
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi

Our two kittens are almost 9 months old. One seems very grown up (Rufus) and the other still very much a kitten (Naga) ... We want them to be able to go outside. We live in a small cul de sac surrounded by gardens. The nearest road (which is very quiet) is probably 10 meters away. A quarter of a mile away is a bigger road which is very busy... there is multiple gardens and houses between us and that road.

Of course in an ideal world they would stick to roaming a few gardens away and that's it...... Last weekend we did try letting them out. Rufus was extremely cautious .... any large gust of wind or sound he didn't like sent him running straight back into the house. Naga on the other hand... was off... scaled the fence and was three gardens away before I ran around to retrieve him and bring him back home...

Both cats were neutered 4 weeks ago.

Does anyone have any hints of tips for making this go as well as possible?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

To keep your kitties safe, you must have a safe environment for them. Allowing them to roam free is not a good idea. They will wander a ways away. Males will roam up to 5 miles when they set their mind to it. Many of us have outdoor enclosures that allow our kitties to be outside and enclosed. Many of us also take our kitties for walks on a harness and leash. My Raiden roamed the neighborhood for 6 years before I took him. He got into countless cat fights, numerous trips to the vet, and he was at risk for contracting FIV (had to have a test every 90 days after a cat fight). Now he has a large 12'x12' enclosure on our deck and he gets two walks a day. There are so many perils out there for kitties -- who don't seem to understand the dangers. Traffic is a huge problem. Cats and dogs are hit by cars every day. You may also have neighbors who don't appreciate your cats on their property and they may trap and relocate them. Children can be cruel and injure cats. Is it worth the risks? Dogs can attack cats, other male cats attack cats (yes, even if they are neutered).

There are portable enclosures, and many larger enclosures are simple and inexpensive to build. Bengals do enjoy going for walks, but I would not want to handle two of them at a time. Two people could walk your two bengals. You have absolutely NO control over where your cats go if you just let them out the door. It sounds like your little boy may go out looking for trouble. Google "catio" or "cat enclosure" and view pictures and see if there is something that might work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two kittens (black moggies) which I am planning on keeping indoors for their first year.

I don't think young cats have the sense to be let outdoors.

I'm secretly hoping after this time they won't be too fussed about going as I have always had indoor cats and there are too many dangers out there even in quiet neighbourhoods like ours. I live in a semi rural village.

The neighbours aren't particularly nice either where I live quite snobby and don't appreciate cats going in their gardens or climbing on their cars putting mucky footprints on them.

Yes I even had a neighbour who nocked on my door complaining she had just had her car valeted and my cat had put dirty paw marks on her bonnet. I told her I would tell him that next time I saw him :mrgreen:

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi skymaster

We introduced ours to the outdoors at roughly the same age although it was probably a better time of year as it was May!

We started them on harnesses, but Hendrix was our terrified one and he hated the harness as well and literally wouldn't move or if he did he walked as though his back was broken. We decided the harness was making it too stressful for him and plus although we had the long retractable leads, jagger was bounding all over the place and was regularly being brought up short or getting tangled in bushes.

We were both out with them, and only let them in the garden for short bursts initially to make sure they knew where home was. We also trained them to come when called or whistled for with plenty of treats offered when they came back as instructed. I would call them regularly and also keep an eye on them and where they would go off to. They also used to pop home to use the litter trays initially too!

They were only allowed out when we were home for roughly a year, then I had a cat flap fitted to the conservatory door (they were let out the window previously and I wasn't happy leaving that open when we were out) and now they have full access during the day. We have a sure flap so no other cats can follow them in and also jagger was chased in the conservatory by a fox once too.

The cat flap is put on 'in only' at 6.30pm every night as we don't allow them out at night, as we feel they are more likely to cross busy roads when it is quieter and there are way too many foxes in our area as well.

We roughly have the same set up as you in that we are in a quiet cul-de-sac and plenty of gardens they can roam in without crossing any roads. To be honest they stick roughly to the routine they got used to before the cat flap. They were let out before and after work and then nap during the day, but stay out longer in the morning and have generally gone out again before I get home in the evening and hang around waiting for me on the drive.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's a god point Clare made, I wouldn't start putting them out this time of year and would wait until it's warmer.

Also regarding using an open window this is something I would never do as I once had a cat who got his paw caught climbing into the window which resulted in an operation and a metal plate having to be inserted.

I've had outdoor moggies in the past who have lived full and long lives but it's a constant worry letting them out.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I didn't do anything to manage the cats when I first let them out - the point of letting them out was so they could go explore and do what they wanted. The hard part was not worrying about them! I worried constantly at first, but it faded after a few weeks, and eventually I didn't worry at all.

They always came back to call. I didn't train this per se, but in the house I always called them for treats so they know if I'm using a high-pitched call it means good things. They never really went far and I could almost always find them if I walked down the road calling for them.

One did spend much more time outdoors and roamed further than the other. You might find you have one homebody and one explorer :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quasar was introduced to the outdoors at about 16 weeks old, on a harness and leash. He's never been allowed to roam free although he has escaped out the door a few times only to be caught and returned quickly to the house.
Our kitten contract prevented us from allowing him to roam. He sure seems like a physically robust and mentally competent animal despite being controlled on his outings. I don't need to worry about the coyotes, dogs, bobcats, or cars. It's rather nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I befriended a b/w stray a few years ago who would not leave my yard for the first few months. He was always waiting for me in the morning for his breakfast and when I got home from work. Always! Then, after about 18 months, he wasn't here in the afternoons and showed up right before dark. Then he vanished for three days before coming home. I finally trapped him and got him neutered and vaccinated and microchipped. He still wasn't around much when I got home. Two weeks later, he disappeared all together. I have no idea what happened to him and I ache daily dealing with the unknown. Occasionally, I have dreams that he has returned home and now I have to deal with him and my bengal. I'm taking care of a neighbor's cat who will not stay in her yard due to her other outdoor cats chasing him away. They live three blocks from me, so this little guy traveled quite a ways. He comes around to eat and leaves. Last week, he had two nights of getting into cat fights and I ended up having to take him to HIS vet (which is a lot further than MY vet) and get him fixed up. Had to give him the pain medication. I worry about him all the time, but Raiden does not like him and the little guy can't come into my house. It's only a matter of time before another neighbor takes him in since he's such a friendly and sweet kitty and he's no longer around. The owners are looking to purchase 20+ acres of land and build a house and take him over there -- but I'm guessing he won't be around that long.

It's just SO much easier to keep your cats contained and then you don't have to worry about them. I've thought about GPS for this other cat, but then I'd be constantly monitoring that to see where he is -- and worry even more! I'm too old to worry about cats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:25 am 
Bengal Kitten

We decided to introduce Ari to the outdoors slowly on a harness at just over 18 weeks of age (we had him from 15 weeks). First we started him wearing the harness inside twice - he really didn't like it - tried to buck and back out of it. Understandably, inside, he just couldn't see the point of it, and rightly so ... I wouldn't have either if I was him.
Then we we tried again several days later with bringing him outside on a lead and made sure outside was all good experiences for him. He associated the harness with "good things will happen" and now he likes the harness and purrs when we put it on him.

Took him out early this evening before the sun set, (third time for him out) and he is getting more adventurous but still cautious - which we think is a good thing. Before we brought him home we thought he'd definitely be allowed to go outside solo as he pleased (but only after at least 6 months of age) like our other pedigree cat used to, but now seeing him so good on a harness and lead and not begging to go outside....... yet...... we are considering only ever having him outside on a harness and lead. We will have him vaccinated for FIV because he will be around other cats in catteries when we go away; But as for outside, we will probably let Ari decide. We are hoping that if we take him out enough, he will leave his scent and not be affected by any neighbourhood cats coming on the property while he is inside and be satisfied with his inside environment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Don't be too sure about other cats leaving Ari's territory alone! Doesn't happen! A neighborhood cat will simply leave his scent on top of Ari's and then Ari will leave his scent on top of that cat's and it will go on and on! Neutered male cats do fight as well and will try to fight to the death! I'd stick with the harness and leash. I've been walking Raiden now for over 2-1/2 years, every day that the temps and the weather are good (we are having freezing rain and snow today and I'll still try to get him out later in the day). I don't enjoy it, especially in the winter time, but it's for him and it is a sacrifice I make to keep him out of trouble. He is an instigator and thinks he can beat up any cat, and he cannot! He has the scars to prove it. Our walks started just around our yard and now we walk three blocks down the street and back. He would walk farther but we have to cross a busy street and I won't let us do that.