[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Two Bengal brothers not getting on...
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare, it's great that you know now what is going on that's going to make a difference I think.

Fingers crossed it all goes well for you and peace is restored soon!

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like she's given you signs to look for and now you are seeing the signs! At least there is hope!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Things are not going well!! Just need a little vent...

There was stuff going on as I left for work this morning. Jagger had come into the bathroom while I was having a bath earlier, and Hendrix was napping on the bath mat. Jagger started to stare at Hendrix, walking towards him and raised his paw to give him bash, I told him no very firmly and he left the room. As I was putting my coat on to leave, Hendrix was having a drink and Jagger walked towards him and again raised his paw to bash Hendrix. Again, I told him no and he backed off.

I said to Jon to keep an eye on things, and as soon as I get to work get a phone call where he is saying I've made him paranoid as something had happened but he would have thought they were playing. He heard a noise in the conservatory and Hendrix had gone crashing through the cat flap and gone straight up the tree, with Jagger chasing after him and also went up the tree. Hendrix then charged back down and did a circuit round the house. Jagger came back indoors.

To me, this wasn't playing and I've been told that quite often, what we think is play, most certainly isn't. And once again, Jagger was pursuing Hendrix. Hendrix then came back in, charged through the house, leapt at the cat tree - and it broke! So I've ordered a new cat tree but will still be in the position of only one cat tree between them.

I also spotted a small bald patch on one of Hendrix's legs last night which makes me think he is starting to over groom and will obviously keep a close eye on this.

My last day at work today thank goodness until the New Year. Hopefully will be able to sort this when we are around more. But clearly Hendrix is very stressed and it was very apparent today that he stays indoors first thing whilst Jagger goes out, and then he goes out once Jagger comes back in for a nap. He is avoiding him as much as possible and I had been picking up on this over the last week or so.

Anyway, vent over. I will get there eventually (I hope) but its not going to happen over night clearly. I am so gutted this has happened, they were always so close but they never sleep curled up together anymore either.

I'm devastated to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Clare, this is just horrible! I'd hoped with time, things would improve, but it sounds like these two brothers are just going to fight it out. Hopefully, with your being home for a few days -- you can really spend some time on this. I'm guessing you may need to separate them for some time and reintroduce all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The good thing is I have a pet cam in the kitchen so I could show Jon exactly what had taken place and jagger was purposely aggravating Hendrix and chased him out of the house!

It's just horrible to have this happening.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, this is why I have a b/w cat that I'm feeding. Because his brother chases him out of his yard and won't let him come on the property and eat. Long Legs decided to run away from home and find a new home, which appears to be mine. He's much happier here, although Raiden wants to attack him (and has once). I have to keep them separated. Tonight we are expecting severe weather with tornado activity and hail and the b/w kitty cannot come inside our house (both Raiden and LL love to "mark"). The cat house is on the deck and he could be protected from the rain and wind but he no longer appears to want to use it. I know what you're going through because I have the same issue here, except the cats are separated except for our walks when Legs wants to follow us (and does). And I have Raiden on one side of me and Legs on the other and I hope they don't attack the middle man.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, it looks like I was a bit optimistic to think I could get this sorted over the Christmas and new year period, although there was a good spell just after Christmas where the tension in the house was definitely lower. However, as soon as I brought something home (a small wooden decorative crate of all things) that was apparently highly desirable to both, all hell broke loose again.

We also now have two cat trees and the new one arriving also caused upset, taking the decorations down yesterday also caused stress.

I think the main problem is Jagger has become highly territorial and possessive. He wanted the crate. We moved the old cat tree into the conservatory and he wouldn't let Hendrix on. He is also not prepared to share the new cat tree, and it must be very comfortable as he spends hours on the middle bed. When Hendrix had a look and was on the top bed, he jumped onto the middle bed and Hendrix was trapped and another spat started. To be honest, I think they are both a bit rubbish at getting up and down it at the moment and we've placed it with a sofa one side and an armchair the other so there is an escape route, but neither are confident with the new tree yet.

Jagger also blocks doorways and guards them to stop Hendrix coming out of the kitchen or stopping him coming into the front room etc. He will even try to get Hendrix if I carry him through his blockade. If Hendrix is playing with one of their many toys, he will try to take it off him. Last night, both were on our bed. Jagger moved to lay with Hendrix, but only to drive him off the bed and a fight started with lots of hissing and growling. It was still better than the night before when I was trying to break them up at 2.30am though....

The problem is, as soon as jagger gets a reaction from Hendrix, he ups his game tenfold and aggravates him even more. Just like kids!!

I'm stopping as much threatening behaviour as I can and Hendrix is still taking zylkene to try to get him calmer, and hopefully he will stop reacting to jagger again. When he wasn't retaliating, that was when calm descended back on our household. Hendrix has been in with us the last couple of nights as I think he will sleep better as he knows he is safe, which can only help even if I'm not sleeping well!

I've put a bed on top of the kitchen cupboards for Hendrix to make that escape route more attractive to him, jagger has never been able to get up there, so I know he would be safe there. I just hope jagger doesn't start guarding the cat flap and not letting Hendrix in when we're not home. I keep a conservatory window open when we're around as jagger can't guard both.

I've read so many things now about multi cat households that contain a territorial cat who bullies others, and bar another cat flap, there doesn't seem much else I can do. And I can't work out where to put another cat flap, the only option is a window and the window sills are too narrow. But they have multiple resources of everything else...

Still, I know this can be sorted as we did have total calm for a few days! So nothing new will be coming into the house for a good long while now and hopefully things will settle down a bit. Jon will also be away again soon and I'll be back at work so they will be back to a strict routine and it will help me get involved quicker as he is still convinced it's play going too far. I feel if I can stop threatening behaviour earlier, it will make a massive impact on the situation. I will keep on with the feliway etc as well and fingers crossed we can get to a point they can coexist again without all this aggression. When we're not home, they seem to ignore/avoid each other, it's when they both want to be with us it seems to kick off.

I hope to give a much more positive update in my next post....!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, let's face it -- your two are acting just like children. This is what parents go through -- spells like this! Whether it's the "age" of your kitties or something else going on with them. I fought with my sisters ALL the time. We drove my mother crazy! Although my mother would sit us down and explain things to us. A little hard to do with cats. Jagger appears to want all everything to be HIS!!! Sharing is no longer in his world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sherry

To be honest, other than the need to share a cat flap, I'm not too worried about the not wanting to share stuff. They have plenty of beds, scratch posts, high places etc and he can't hog them all at once.

My concern is the incessant bullying of Hendrix. If that continues and I can't stop it, and Hendrix is miserable, I will have to consider separating them permanently to be kind to Hendrix. That will break my heart.

I imagine the novelty of the new cat tree will wear off eventually and Hendrix will get his go. There will be no access to that tree while we're at work etc so they can't fight over it.

My mum is going to come to stay for a weekend in January and see if she can help. She used to train security/guard dogs and we also had a Doberman who initially was very hard work but the training paid off. She was also very determined and dominant (the Doberman that is, not my mum!), just like a Bengal!

So far having a reasonable day, but it's early yet and it tends to be evening/night time things get fraught!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, as I mentioned in Rebecca's thread, I think the main thing is to build up Hendrix's confidence. Jagger has dominance now and not sure how you stop that. It's up to Hendrix to stand up to the bullying and it should stop! I really think both of your babies would be heartbroken if you were to permanently separate them. I really do feel there is a solution here for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare. Have been keeping a close watch on your posts. Sherry is right, it's just like kids. If only you could put jagger on the naughty step! Can you put jagger on zzylkene too if he is the aggressor to chill him too? I have a cat flap from a window. Very quick for a glazier to fit. Dog ramp and steps and voila! It is possible :smile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Melissa

I have a huge bumper pack of zylkene coming this week! When I first ordered it, I didn't realise they needed two capsules a day. I started both on it and realised I would run out over Christmas so just gave it to Hendrix as his need was greater. All became calm and I halved his dose but had another pack on the way when it all kicked off again. As soon as this large pack arrives, they can both take the full dose for 25 days if required. Jagger, though, seemed to be even more bonkers after he'd had his - Jon looked at me and said how it seemed to be having the opposite effect! But then the feliway has an unusual effect on jagger as well. Apparently I may need to change to pet remedy and see if that suits him better.

I've had two good days though. Last night neither of them were bothered about sleeping in with us which is always a good sign. Jagger started playing with a 'blabber ball' at 11pm which he'd never been bothered with before. I thought Hendrix would get up to investigate and it might kick off again, but it all went quiet. I've been confiscating their noisy toys at night as that was how it all started in the early hours the other day. Jagger got up to play with the ping pong ball in the cardboard scratcher and all hell broke loose!

Jon did find jagger on our bed when we got home last night as we did New Years when we got home. Which is usually hendrix's spot, so we're not sure if he'd been ousted or if they were laying together as Hendrix will always come running to the door to greet us. I might move one of our pet cams to see exactly what is happening there.

Yesterday I removed jagger from the doorway when I spotted him lying in wait for Hendrix (rather than carrying Hendrix past) and had a game with him in the front room while Hendrix decided where he wanted to settle. Hendrix came in and they both watched the big cat programme with us on Sky. In different places but still in the same room and it was pretty relaxed.

I haven't seen evidence yet of jagger blocking Hendrix coming through the cat flap and I have a camera trained on the door so I can keep a close eye as it is a concern. If I do need to add another though, now I've seen your set up, I will definitely get the dog ramp etc! What a brilliant idea!

Fingers crossed for another couple of calm days :biggrin: xx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa, that is a brilliant idea. Didn't even know you could fit catflaps in glass.

Clare, you're doing everything you possibly can. Really hope you can sort this and keeping a close eye on this thread.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you all for your support - it really helps knowing I have people rooting for us to sort this!

Debbie, both our existing cat flaps are in glass doors - it was the size of our window sills that worried me - but Melissa's ingenious idea will sort that!

There has been plenty of interaction in the kitchen today that I've been watching on my pet cam - none of it seems threatening or aggressive so I'm really hoping some progress is being made xx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe the New Year will be calmer for you, Clare! If I had to endure this, I'd be in the loony bin!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next