[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Two Bengal brothers not getting on...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone for all your help, support and advice in relation to the issues I'm currently enduring with my two boys. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, however, I feel so much more optimistic that this will be resolved now, whereas when I first started this thread I was pretty much in the pits of despair!

Last night was pretty much a repeat of the night before with me removing Jagger from the cat tree as soon as there was an aggressive reaction from Hendrix, so I'm now casually dropping hints to the other half that another tree may be in order :lol: He still looks horrified at the prospect though!!

Jagger came home this morning very jumpy, checking around the house etc and when he saw Hendrix his tail puffed up and he jumped down from the kitchen counter where he had anxiously been checking what was going on out of the window. He started towards Hendrix with the aggressive walk that he does to warn off other cats but Hendrix didn't move, just sat down and watched him - once they were close enough for a sniff to confirm their identities he was absolutely fine again, visibly relaxed and went off to the spare room to go on top of the wardrobe for a nap.

I did hold my breath as he checked Hendrix out but it absolutely confirms this is all to do with other cats and the goings on outside.

I feel so much better able to address the situation now as I'm very sure of the root cause and after everyone's help started to work at ways to reduce the negative interactions etc. So massive thanks and I hope at some point in the future to be able to confirm that normal relations have resumed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare, my goodness just caught up with this and read the whole thread!

I am relieved for you things appear to be getting better between the two. I agree it is definitely to do with the outside cat freaking him out.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, if the issue is with the other outdoor cat, it will never be solved as long as that cat is out there. Something is going on with Hendrix and this other cat. This is so unfair to Jagger. I'd be talking with this other cat's owner, trying to cat proof your yard to keep these two cats apart before one of them may actually be injured to the point of no return! It's a chance you take and it's causing havoc in your life right now. Maybe you can get the owner of this other cat to move away like my problem cat did!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wouldn't say it's getting better exactly but I feel better able to manage the situation.

Hendrix is still having a go at jagger and it is very unpredictable. Hendrix came in yesterday, they touched noses, all fine. Jagger wandered out of the front room about 5 mins later and Hendrix was in the hall and lunged at him hissing and growling.

This morning has been the same. In fact Hendrix came in, hissed and had a go at jagger who stopped eating to greet him and then Hendrix went in the living room for a nap. A bit later he must have spotted jagger heading for the cat flap, and got up and came out to the kitchen/conservatory seemingly to block Jagger's entry and again, have a go at him.

I've been present at all these incidents and immediately parted them, but I do feel for Jags.

I'm thinking I might need to sort out another cat flap somewhere so there are no arguments over entering and exiting the house. Not sure where though right now!

I'm kind of hoping that jagger gave that cat a good bashing the other night as I haven't seen him since. I discovered this week that Hendrix goes in the park nearby as I had a call from someone who found one of his many missing collars there. I was surprised as there are plenty of dog walkers and children in there and he's quite a nervy cat. I also think this other cat comes from across the park as he always appears from that direction and goes back that way as well - which is how Hendrix and he keep crossing paths as I'd always wondered what was so attractive to Hendrix about the garden over the road but that must be where he is entering the park.

I will keep working at improving relations somehow. I will also look at getting Hendrix health checked to make sure there is nothing else going on although to be honest I don't think there is, but I will check out all possibilities.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, I experience similar interactions from Blondie and Grace. Grace keeps pouncing on Blondie, especially when Blondie catches a little frog or lizard outside. Also Blondie was just on my lap grooming and napping. Grace didn't like that. When I was distracted, Grace jumped up and lunged at Blondie on my lap! In the scuffle, Grace's nail went into my ankle and when Blondie flew off my lap she scratched my stomach and leg through my clothes. Then they spilled onto the floor rolling, hissing and biting until I broke it up. Now Blondie is sitting on the floor in front of me and Grace is patrolling the area. Maybe Grace is jealous, or maybe she wanted me to know it is time for their feeding. Hopefully food will calm her down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, I don't see how this situation is going to go away as long as there are other outside cats in the picture! I guess you'll just have to wait until one of yours comes home on three legs with huge bites on the neck, surgery and high vet bills, or the cat doesn't make it home at all. I'm an old lady and I would certainly not have the patience to deal with something like this. Bless you for trying to take care of it. Just sad that one of your kitties chooses to take his anger out on his brother.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Grace is serious and aggressive. Blondie is light hearted and docile. They are total opposites, I think that is the only way Grace could live with another cat. Grace will go off on her own but Blondie usually stays close by my side.

Grace started being overly agressive when they were about 6 months. I constantly try to get Grace to chill out. I see that Blondie can initiate things, but Grace always goes too far making Blondie scream out and hiss. They go through phases month to month. They are still maturing. I don't think I could keep Grace happy if they didn't have the screened in patio to explore every day.

Grace wants to be close to me and sometimes she is very loving. It doesn't come easily though and she usually jumps away after a few minutes. I think human contact softens her so I encourage it when she is in the mood.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hendrix is prone to going too far when they play fight too, it always would be Jagger who would end up squealing and I'd have to break them up. It amazes me that Jagger still tries to engage him in chase games around the garden! Hendrix doesn't like it though if Jagger has a go back. That happened a couple of months ago, they were having a great time charging around, chasing and pouncing on each other, when Hendrix got too rough and Jagger got mad. I discovered afterwards, that Hendrix had actually drawn blood. It wasn't long after Hendrix had been beaten up either so he was really upset when Jagger retaliated, took me ages to calm them both down.

Like Blondie, Jagger is a way more chilled cat and he totally loves Hendrix. He does his stuff outside protecting his territory, and once he's calm again he seems to forget about it and is just really affectionate. If I had two like Hendrix I think I'd have to seriously consider rehoming one although it would break my heart.

They are both on the cat tree now! No aggression either, but Jagger was on there first this time whereas usually it's Hendrix and then just lately he seems to want to treat it as his territory only.

A positive interaction and I'm hoping it lasts!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare, keeping everything crossed for you that things start to calm down.

With having Oscar and Jasper who are brothers it does make you wonder what their relationship will be like in the future but I do think this is not anything really to do with that more him being stressed with that cat.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Children get into petty little fights, too. It's the nature of two distinct personalities! I'm hoping things get better for you, Clare. At some point, you think Hendrix would just get tired of being aggressive toward Jagger and play nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Had a much calmer day yesterday, of course I'm pretty confident the other cat hasn't been around which is probably why Hendrix is happier. Fingers crossed jagger has scared him off...

The Saturday night truce lasted until jagger got up to 'help' me make the bed, and then Hendrix was aggressive towards him again. The only good thing from that was Jon saw it and even he couldn't work out why Hendrix went for him as all jagger did was sit up.

Hendrix didn't even go for jagger yesterday when he pounced on him wanting to play and they charged up and down the hall for a bit! Almost like old times!

I think we're bound to have some ups and downs but will keep plugging away at happy interactions! And pray that the other cat has decided it's not worth coming into their territory anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here are my boys Saturday night before Hendrix got grumpy again!

FullSizeRender (640x568).jpg

Just had some news from home, our new neighbours (next door but one) also have a cat, and it looks suspiciously like a Bengal and is HUGE - they only moved in last week. I think I saw it Saturday but thought it was Jagger - even though he looked darker than usual, I convinced myself it was the light. I clearly did not want to admit there was going to be another issue looming.

It may be time to consider cat proof fencing if we are staying there.

My spirits have dropped quite considerably... :sad:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, if it is a bengal, talk about flipping bad luck. This could force your hand re the fencing. Lets hope it is just a huge but very chilled out, non territorial, friendly spotty cat :wink:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll probably pop round and introduce myself next weekend and find out the situation and see if we can work together on a way forward - I'm sure that like me, they don't want our cats getting into fights and getting injured.

I think it's another marble as the markings looked a darker version of Jagger and his build as well, not gangly like Hendrix! Hence I managed to convince myself it was definitely Jagger and not another Bengal living near by, despite Jagger's gold colouring being so obvious usually!

We have more new neighbours soon as well just opposite us, who knows if they will also have cats or dogs - before this we were the only household at the top of the road with cats so basically our two feel they own the whole of the top of the close we live in and only two further down the road, the new pain in the butt cat and a big grey one over the back somewhere. They are going to be so put out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next