[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Two Bengal brothers not getting on...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Definitely introduce yourself to the new neighbors and try to figure out a solution that can benefit both of you! A larger bengal -- probably male -- is going to cause havoc with Hendrix. Catproofing your yard would be a huge help -- to at least keep the two cats apart and from fighting! Raiden and this other cat would howl at each other and try to attack each other through the enclosure wiring. Thankfully, they couldn't hurt each other if they tried! So happy that cat has moved away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well we'd had a pretty good week until last night! No sign of either the cat that hunts Hendrix or the other Bengal we believe has moved into the area.

A couple of hissing incidents from Hendrix but nothing of major concern. Until last night...

I arrived home with a couple of boxes from Cat Furnature, flat packed and had no intention of giving to them that night. I did however forget there was catnip supplied with it in little bags. Both boys ran to investigate, and found the catnip. I immediately confiscated it as they both get over excited with catnip and that generally starts a fight. Glad I did remove it quickly as it was 'extra strong'! Maybe some did spill out though, who knows... as that could easily have caused what happened next.

FullSizeRender (320x314).jpg

Well they LOVED the boxes and feathers. Jagger in particular was having a great time, until Hendrix joined in and then didn't want to share. A huge fight ensued. We broke it up, built the other box as well, again Jagger was having a ball, when Hendrix decided he wanted to play - but on his own. He literally seems wild when he flips. Growling, snarling, hissing and lashing out at Jagger, who looks bewildered but then obviously he does retaliate. Which ends up with Jagger chasing Hendrix and Hendrix cowering under the dining room table growling and snarling. The only way I could stop the fight, and Jagger pursuing Hendrix was to give them some treat food. Then all was calm again.

Even Jon admitted Jagger had done nothing to provoke this where usually he is adamant Jagger winds Hendrix up. And he also saw the fact that Hendrix doesn't seem to recognise Jagger once he goes like that.

I thought we'd made some headway but it was so bad last night, I feel we're back to square one. We removed the boxes for the night, but Hendrix was fine by bedtime, wanting to play and a totally different cat.

I think I'm as bewildered as Jagger!

We're putting up the Christmas Tree today - I hope that doesn't turn into a blood bath as well :confused:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gosh Clare. Can you get Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences over there? He has some remedies that deal with bullying and aggression! If I were you, I'd be willing to try anything and everything. This is like having two toddlers fighting! Now you're bringing a Christmas tree in on top of it. Today I saw a video of a family who put up a Christmas tree made of boxes with openings for the cats to go in. They make construction paper rings as tinsel. The cats loved it. The boxes were all wrapped in green wrapping paper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare,

How did the Christmas tree go!

I really hope they both settle down for you. Sounds like Hendrix got carried away with the catnip. It can send them a bit into a frenzy and with him being a bit stressed it probably tipped him over the edge.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sherry,

I do have some spirit essences as Melissa very kindly sent me some but I'm using sparingly as it isn't sold here in the UK.

Debbie, the catnip may have had something to do with it, but he hadn't pierced either of the bags as I checked, so it must have been ultra powerful and not just extra strong! But I do generally avoid catnip unless it is in a toy as that isn't usually really strong.

He's been sweetness and light since then but still very funny about playing with jagger and the boxes, he always runs off. I wonder if he was in an enclosed space the first time he was beaten up, as that was definitely when the hissing started and he doesn't like jagger approaching from behind unless he knows he is around. I think he was attacked from behind as his worst injuries were on his back legs, poor thing.

I'll continue with the extra play with them although jagger always defers to Hendrix with flying frenzy, it's very hard to get them playing together these days!

The tree was of interest briefly, but I was even able to let them sleep in the same room with it last night! Jagger ran circles round it for a bit and shouted at it and lept at some lower branches but theyve both ignored it since. It isn't decorated yet though! Doing that tomorrow as off to football today. It's 6 ft and very bushy so I think they can't get into it to climb it, plus I bought a wicker 'skirt' to put round the base so they can't get underneath easily. I thought long and hard about how to prevent them climbing it :biggrin:

Will keep plugging away, but if the Jekyll and Hyde behaviour continues I'll have him checked at the vet in the New Year and if that's all okay consider speaking to a behaviourist. I can't live on tenter hooks all the time...!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I bet some of the catnip had got onto the boxes Clare. Whenever I buy catnip the bags are always covered in catnip dust. It is such a problem to sort out when it seems so random. I can always send the other bottle. Its no problem and I don't need it. Oscar is perfect (touch wood) now and there are no cats near so I don't think there would ever be an issue. And if it was an issue I have friends who could buy it and post it to me. Keep plugging away with the play and the feliway! If only they could talk! :sad: Any intel yet on the new kid on the block? Bengal or not bengal?

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Catnip affects cats differently. Raiden does not go crazy over it at all. His catnip toys? Not interested! The b/w cat I'm feeding goes nuts over it! He is totally under my command when I have some in my hand and he loves his catnip toy! I'm hoping the whole process wears itself out for you, Clare because it seems you're trying to do everything you can and now it's up to the cats! Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Melissa,

You could be right about the catnip dust, I hadn't thought of that! He hasn't been too bad since, although he did come in this afternoon, met jagger in the hall and he was immediately hissing at poor Jags, who fortunately walked away.

Don't worry about sending the other bottle of spirit essences (you are so kind to offer!) - I'm hoping that I can make some headway over the Christmas period when I'm home more. Fortunately we are going to Jon's family for Christmas Day, so there won't be the added stress of loads of visitors this year. Jon is back to work tomorrow but to be honest he doesn't pay as much attention as me to what's going on, he's been way too busy playing with his new Xbox I bought him for Christmas lol

The best way I can describe Hendrix right now is he's lost that quirky Bengal sense of humour, he is just so grumpy. Jagger on the other hand still has it in buckets and wants to play all the time, so they're just not compatible right now... Which is so sad!

There has been no sign of the cat who hunts Hendrix since Jagger gave him a telling off, and we haven't seen the new kid on the block since either, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. I just want Hendrix to be more relaxed so we can have a happy home again!

So I'll keep plugging away at trying to get them to play together and giving both even more love and cuddles (if that's at all possible!) so they both feel secure and happy at home x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The Holidays are an especially hectic time of year for everyone! A little more stressful as well and I think our babies pick up on this. I keep hoping for good things to happen so Hendrix and Jagger can be best brothers again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a behaviourist helping me now so I'll hopefully have some positive news soon!! I'll keep you all posted with progress and thanks for all your support! x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good luck, Clare. I hope the information from the behaviorist helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good luck Clare, keep us all posted and hope it goes well.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Certainly will! I've been reading this all wrong by the looks of things. Jagger is the aggressor and Hendrix is responding to his aggressive body language, which is incredibly subtle so I'm not seeing it.

Jagger took hendrix's bouncy ball from him last night. I'd have thought prior to my chat with the behaviourist that Hendrix went off in a huff when jagger went to join in. Now I see it that jagger is deliberately taking his ball from him.

So poor Hendrix has been told off for being aggressive and even though I've been breaking them up, I'm not dealing with the correct cat!

It's going to take time I think, but I've got hendrix's back now and it's all about bringing jagger down a peg or two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting that the behaviorist pegged Jagger as the instigator! Is she doing this in-house or via email or over the phone? I think it might be hard to judge unless you're there seeing what's going on for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Whilst it is over the phone and email, what she said made a lot of sense. Jagger is intimidating and bullying Hendrix because he has picked up on his fear and nervousness with other cats outside. Hendrix has lost his confidence and so is in defence mode at all times. He wouldn't be growling and hissing at jagger without some reason to tell him to back off.

I had to tell jagger off a lot yesterday and remove him from the same room as Hendrix. I can see when he's going to do it now as well. On the face of it, he does look playful but in reality he is purposely aggravating Hendrix and waits until he is in a vulnerable position. I read through my posts yesterday and it is always jagger chasing Hendrix down even though it looks like Hendrix is the one starting it.

Hopefully the advice I've been given will work and we can have a happy home again, even if they just tolerate each other. It's worth a try, nothing else I was doing worked after all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next