It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So im sorry if this comes across as negative but my cat is driving me insane lately. iv tolerated her wrecking the house. theres nothing thats not scratched bar my kids rooms. shes got posts. toys. shelves she gets played with etc. ANYWAY aside from her wrecking the house ( its fine it can be fixed later ) and having to deal with her "play aggression" Iv now discovered her peeing in my storage cupboard. its not often she has access to it. its full of stuff anyway but i just lifted a coat to discover she had peed on it and it dripped all over me. ok forgive me but I was annoyed. wearing cat pee was not on my agenda today! I dont understand why she has done this. her tray hasnt moved her shes still using her box happily. the area she peed is only about 10 ft from her box. it just seems so random.

my question is is this likely to be a one off? maybe because it was a new area to her. should i now be concerned shes going to be peeing all the house? because that would just be the icing on the cake. If she wasnt at such a risk for being stolen i would most certainly be letting her out. she wants out. she tries to wander out if the doors open. she sits by the door even though shes never been out. shes tried to go out windows.

and no building a cat extension onto our home is not an option unfortunately

just needed to get that off my chest. we love her but shes driving us all crazy and i researched the breed and have had bengal experience but shes definately on the intense end of the bengal spectrum even with her sweet moments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe harness training and take her out for walks to get rid of the excess energy and maybe frustration? I would clean pee area with enzymatic cleaner or she will be attracted to pee there again. As this was a new area to her she may have just been claiming it as her new territory but it's probably a good idea to keep the door shut from now on! Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It isn't only bengals who decide to pee outside the litter box. It's a very common problem, usually caused by stress. If she only has ONE litter box, get another one or two of them. Block off her access to any area she has been using. She may find another spot, but keep going. Make sure the areas are cleaned completely as cats can continue to smell the urine even if you can't! I can't recall how old your baby is, but if she's just a kitten, my gosh .... they are all over the place and into everything. She should not be tearing your house apart. Not if she has the human interaction and toys that she needs. Note that a bengal requires human interaction most of the time when they are not sleeping! I agree that perhaps training her on a harness and leash may help the situation and allow her to get outside and some exercise! Note that if you yell at her or punish her in any way, it's not doing any good. It only aggravates you and stresses out your kitty.

That being said, there are a ton of posts here in the forum, there are ton of blog posts about this, other forum posts. What works for one cat may not work for another cat. You've simply got to try different things, but I'd start with adding at least one more litter box and close off the area she used. Watch her intently. If it appears she is sniffing around to pee, put her in the litter box.