It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So im sorry if this comes across as negative but my cat is driving me insane lately. iv tolerated her wrecking the house. theres nothing thats not scratched bar my kids rooms. shes got posts. toys. shelves she gets played with etc. ANYWAY aside from her wrecking the house ( its fine it can be fixed later ) and having to deal with her "play aggression" Iv now discovered her peeing in my storage cupboard. its not often she has access to it. its full of stuff anyway but i just lifted a coat to discover she had peed on it and it dripped all over me. ok forgive me but I was annoyed. wearing cat pee was not on my agenda today! I dont understand why she has done this. her tray hasnt moved her shes still using her box happily. the area she peed is only about 10 ft from her box. it just seems so random.

my question is is this likely to be a one off? maybe because it was a new area to her. should i now be concerned shes going to be peeing all the house? because that would just be the icing on the cake. If she wasnt at such a risk for being stolen i would most certainly be letting her out. she wants out. she tries to wander out if the doors open. she sits by the door even though shes never been out. shes tried to go out windows.

and no building a cat extension onto our home is not an option unfortunately

just needed to get that off my chest. we love her but shes driving us all crazy and i researched the breed and have had bengal experience but shes definately on the intense end of the bengal spectrum even with her sweet moments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:42 am 
Bengal Kitten

Unfortunately this is a very common negative bengal trait. One that causes many people to get rid of their bangels. She may feel like she doesn't have any space of her own and is trying to mark a,place as hers or is just very unhappy or stressed. When I was first deciding to adopt my bengal I did a lot or research about his breed both positive and negative. I knew going in what may be in store and I've been very lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would suggest that you take your kitty on walks with a harness and leash. If she wants outside, that's the perfect way to do it! Raiden settles down and sleeps immediately upon our return. We usually walk five or six blocks total -- and Raiden has to stop and smell and mark all the bushes! There are portable cat enclosures, too! They fold up when not in use! I wouldn't let your kitty run free! Cats can be taken at any time. Many times people see a cat and think it's a stray and will take it in. Doesn't take much to wine and dine a cat away from an owner. I think if she experiences the outdoors (supervised), she will be more settled inside.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can see your frustrations – it is never pleasant to have your house destroyed or to discover your cat is peeing in different places. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if this is a ‘one-off’ and no one can tell you that. I would suggest just keeping everything closed and if she is prone to peeing out of the box, keep her contained to one main area only, unless she is being supervised by you or your family.

Also make sure you thoroughly clean everything that she has peed on, so she doesn’t smell it and pee on it again. Use white vinegar and peppermint oil to mask the smell of urine.

How old is your cat? If she is still a kitten, this is common behaviour and you want to make sure you are doing all the right things to eliminate this from happening again later on.