[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice on meowing cat
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on meowing cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on crying cats.
We've had our babies a couple of months now but in the last 2 weeks our boy has started walking through the house meowing loudly and continuously around 4.30am. It is every single night. The first few times it happened we let him into our room thinking he wanted a cuddle but he just continued to do it and then his sister took full advantage of the access to our room by leaping on us, scratching our feet :eek:

He has constant access to food, water and litter tray and his sister is absolutely fine. He doesn't seem to want to play or cuddle, he just seems to want everyone to wake up.

The disrupted sleep is beginning to really wear us out so if anyone has any advice on how to discourage this behaviour, or deal with it better then please let me know!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats are naturally active at dawn and dusk so he is just wanting you to be awake at 'cat time' Our boy did this about four ish too so in the end we had to give him his own bedroom as waking with a cat on your head at four every day is really not an option! We tried the 'ignore him' method which would have been fine if it was just the meowing. It did not work as he just starting chewing our hair, sitting on our head, pouncing on hands and feet and generally being a right little toad :rolleyes: We lasted a month and then presented him with Oscar's Bedroom - decked out with three beds, litter, water, food and cat tree and toys! Lots of lovely, patient people on this forum let their cats sleep with them and have trained them to human time so it is possible!!! I miss having a cat sleep with us as all our moggies have in the past.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We've stopped letting him into our room, and he has full run of the house and his toys but he just seems to really enjoy pacing up and down the corridor meowing loudly! Periodically stopping outside the bedroom door to really let rip! he's such a rascal!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there,
From experience there really isn't much you can do other than keeping him far enough away from your ears at night. He's probably bored and wants some attention, remember Cats are nocturnal so will want to go hunting or do something to fulfil their cravings.

My boy Ralph used to cry at night and scratch doors so we started to keep both cats in the kitchen and put the heated floor on for comfort which did the trick.

all the best
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My cats are my alarm clock. I can't sleep if we are not together. They are wild for 15-20 minutes, racing up and down towers and shelves, running on the wheel. But then they claim their spot for the night and settle in. I wake up around 4, but they let me go back to sleep and when they think I have had enough, they demand cuddles until I get out of bed and feed them. I love our routine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd love for my bengal to wake me up at 4:30 a.m. instead of anywhere between 1 and 3 a.m. Bengals are pretty vocal cats, period! Cats tend to wake up as the sun comes up. Thankfully, Raiden will come back to bed after I feed him and he will sleep until we get out of bed, or it gets light out -- whichever occurs first! The fact that your boy doesn't want for anything -- has access to everything he needs and doesn't want the attention is a little strange. They say bengals love to hear themselves vocalize! You simply do not want your little girl to start doing the same. Based on what I've seen, the best thing to do is IGNORE the cat and within a few weeks, the behavior will stop! I know it is easier said than done! Raiden sleeps with us -- he's on my side of the bed at the bottom. Perhaps if you let the little guy into your bedroom, he will settle in after a few minutes and go back to sleep. Bengals love to be with their humans. I know some people cannot stand a cat sleeping with them, but I find I can't fall asleep until I feel Raiden jumping up on the bed and snuggling at my feet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Magic used to wake me every morning at 4 am as that used to be my get up time for work, since I have been off sick from work for 3 months he doesn't very often do it now, but if he does sometimes I ignore it and he will come back to bed or other times I feed him then he will sleep till we get up

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is possible to get a cat on YOUR schedule, but it takes a lot of training and time for them to change.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do. My boy does this – during the day and during the night, just walks around meowing loudly. He doesn’t need anything – he is just bored. He wants attention. He isn’t let into our bedroom at night as he scratches my face and bites our feet. He is locked out in the living room and has full range of the rest of the house. I find that he meows for a bit and then gets bored of meowing so usually does something to entertain himself. If you keep opening the door and letting him in every time he does this – he will think that meowing at the top of his lungs will get your attention. You need to ignore him.

Having said that, there are things you can do to tire your cats out so that they sleep (more) at night. Right before you go to bed, you need to play with him. Play with him for a good hour, until he is worn out. Make him chase Da Bird, do jumps and flips until he is panting. This will tire him out and he will most likely sleep most of the night and let you sleep, too.

Bengals are very vocal cats. They can meow for no appararent reason… they just like the sound of their own voice! They meow out of boredom, to get attention, and for any reason!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden is always howling in the morning for his walk. These days, it gets lighter out earlier with the time change, but it's the coldest part of the day, so I usually stay under the warm covers while he's howling up a storm. I ignore him and eventually, he will come and lay down and go back to sleep! So will I! Once I decide to finally get out of bed, he's back to his howling. We go out for his walk, come back in and he takes a nap -- when he gets up, he howls until I take I'm out for his afternoon walk, which can be hours. If I'm lucky, he will decide to take another short nap. After our afternoon walk, he's usually fine. He settles in for bed when it gets dark (5 p.m. now) and sleeps through the night after getting me up once. Then we start the whole schedule all over again the next day! I'm used to it by now and the vocalizing doesn't bother me. When we first got him, he howled 24/7.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like you need those noise cancelling ear phones Sherry!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 am 
Bengal Kitten

Mine did the same when he was young but it turned out he had a tooth problem. Mine wasn't fixed at the time and I thought he was calling out to females so I made a vet appointment to get him fixed but as they were fixing him they did an examination and found one of his adult fangs had been chipped in half so he had to get it pulled. Ever since getting fixed and having his tooth pulled hes been much quieter. Maybe just try doing an examination on him yourself to see if everything normal,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden woke me up at some point during the night and I ignored him. He must have decided to eat some dry food and come back to bed. I think I'm going to try that again!