[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Urinating advise needed please!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:47 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all.

New to this site.

Rehomed my Bengal almost a year ago, first couple months he was urinating/spraying outside his litter but soon stopped after he settled in!

Few months ago it started again, not sure what triggered it. Whether it was the fact that I took a week off work so was with him all day and everyday. Then I went away for a few days with work so he didn't see me at all.

There was also a stray or local cat coming around our backyard so this could be annoying him!

He's sprayed/pee'd in most corners of the conservatory, windowsil in the kitchen and by our French doors(all look out the back of the house).

I put his food in one corner of the conservatory and his bed in another.

Hasn't pee'd by his food but will move the bed and pee in that corner.

We've bought roller blinds for the conservatory and kitchen window, granted only two days ago but first night nothing. We thought great stuff, now this morning he's pee'd all up one of them.

Vets have suggest stuff to us which haven't worked ( calmex and defuser) they've also had an urine sample which was a little high in protein but not to concerning!

He's also been neuter at a young age.

To my knowledge, previous owner didn't have an issue with the behaviour.

I'm running out of ideas and could really do with some help please as I want my boy to be happy.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Very likely it is the cat coming into his territory that is upsetting him, especially as he is spraying near the windows where he can see the cat. That definitely sounds like he is marking his territory and his seeing the other cat is causing him stress. You need to discourage the other cat somehow. Does your boy go out in the backyard at all to mark out there? If not you could try some of the products available in garden centres to discourage cats, I'm not sure how effective they are though. Or invest in a water spray that is motion activated, that would probably work!

I bought a water pistol to see off a local cat that upsets my two. Now and again he still comes in our garden, but legs it as soon as he sees me!

The only other thing is that if this is happening at night, can you stop him having access to those areas so he can't see the other cat coming into your backyard?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks both.

I had thought it could be the other cat but we(humans) have only seen it a couple times. Whether or not my boy has seen it more I'm not sure.

We do have a motion sensor light which the cat was triggering but have turned that off as we thought it was getting Neros attention to the car being there. Maybe that's why we don't realise it still comes around.

When we take Nero out on his daily walks he doesn't mark his territory outside (always found this strange)

I'll have a look at some products to see if they work.

Clare- as for moving him at night, we could potentially try this but that would mean relocating his bed, food and litter.

Would this confuse him as it's been in the same place for almost a year?

Once again, thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As Brian and Clare have mentioned, it's very possible it's the other cat causing this issue! Just because you haven't seen this cat frequently, doesn't mean your cat can't sense or smell that he's around. It's very possible this other cat is marking on the OTHER side of the area. I definitely agree that this is a territorial issue for your kitty, especially since there doesn't appear to be anything medically wrong with him.

Try to block off the access for this other cat. Add an additional litter box somewhere--like where his bed is that he seems to want to move. I find it ironic that he does not want to mark when he's outside on a walk. That's the only time my male does mark. He has marked twice in the house -- both times as a result of seeing a neighbor's cat out the window. I bought the Feliway diffuser and spray and the problem stopped.

Urinating outside the litter box is the #1 complaint among cat owners. Usually "stress" the reason -- and this other cat can be the stressor. You need to recall if there have been any other changes in your home besides this other outside cat. Hopefully, you can get your boy settled back down and things can get back to normal. The area he is using needs to be cleaned completely. Even though you can't smell it, the cat can.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advise Sherry.

I'll have a look to see what I can do about blocking other cats out.

I've always found it strange that he doesn't mark his territory outside.

As for cleaning, is there anything you suggest? I have read urine off which I'll need to buy online.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feel fortunate that I have NEVER had to use an enzyme cleaner for cat urine! I'd just google and read up on some reviews. There are a lot of different products out there and one will have to clean and clean and clean to get rid of the urine odor completely.

The other thing you need to understand is "routine." Cats love a schedule and a routine and when that is messed up -- such as your staying home 24/7 or leaving him alone -- that can upset the balance in the cat as well -- the key is getting him BACK to using the litter box exclusively.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:49 am 
Bengal Kitten

So the pesky cat returned last night.

Kept Nero calm and played with him to distract him.

We must have been playing for a good 30-45 minutes after the cat left. As soon as I stopped and turned my back he went over to the French doors and had one big pee up it!

On the plus side, we did wake up this morning and there didn't seem to be any pee or spray in any of the usual corners. And he'd used his litter tray during the night.

Also this morning he had a pee in the bath ( which we rewarded him with treats) far rather it be in there than on the floor. He also had a owe outside, does this very infrequently!

Wife is going to look for some kind of cat deterrent today!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That pesky little cat! Good luck with deterrents. They say citrus peels -- but I had a neighborhood cat that simply laid down next to them. Sprayed with vinegar? No help there. There are plants that supposedly cats don't like. And you may have to use a sight blocker of some type where your cat can't visually see the other cat. Unfortunately, when you kitty goes outside, he will still know the cat was there. Since he does use his litter box, I really do believe it's the other cat causing the problem. If you can solve that (have you talked with the owner of the cat?), your problem may be solved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:28 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi sherry.

I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely the can't outside.

Everywhere in the house that Nero pees or sprays outside his box, it's near an entrance to the back.

He doesn't come that often and we don't know who he belongs to.

Next time he comes I will try and take a photo of him and post it on Facebook!

Nero is such a lovely cat (apart from when he wants to chase every other cat he sees on our walks) I have the scars to proof from trying to stop him lol.

He loves playing chase around the house, I always tire before him and late at night he will always jump up on the couch and relax with us.

Just a shame about the urinating. Sure we will get to the bottom of it eventually!

Gonna try an post a couple photos, if the site will let me!

Once again

Thanks for the advise!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Nero has the same look my bengal has when he is outside! He's a gorgeous kitty cat. Can you block Nero's access to the area he is using? At least for a little while? Have you tried Feliway? It worked for me. They do sell motion-activated sprinklers and even air cans that you can place outside and if that other cat comes along, will get a blast of water or air and scare it away. Eventually, it may learn that it can't come to that area of your yard. I have neighborhood cats that come around in my yard occasionally and am feeding a neighbor's cat who does not want to be with them -- but at least it hasn't affected Raiden as this other cat has a zero temperament and is not a threat to my cat. I wish you luck! I have had to go through this in the past, but thankfully, that neighbor moved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi sherry.

Not sure about blocking his access, it would mean move everything from bed, litter tray and food. Would this confuse him?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I meant blocking access to the outside cat! Obviously, he is coming around to that area of your home. If there is some way to put a sight blocker outside so that your kitty cannot see the outdoor cat if he comes by. It would not necessarily mean moving your kitty's bed, etc.