[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Multi cat household disputes...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So. Sunday night, this was the picture of tranquillity at bed time.... Tuesday morning I was woken up by a huge cat fight - which I suddenly realised was indoors. I dashed out and they stopped when they heard me coming. Now we've had some swiping and hissing occasionally, but this was a full on fight.

FullSizeRender (480x640) (2).jpg

Is this usual in a multi cat household? When I was a kid we had two females, they didn't get on, but they pretty much ignored each other, they certainly didn't beat each other up!

Last night (same day), we were back to them both being on the bed with me peacefully.

I do have a theory... Hendrix was already in a mood as I didn't let him in the bedroom when he wailed outside my door at 3.30am, having gone to bed elsewhere. Generally during the week, they sleep in one of their many beds available to them throughout the rest of the house and at weekends, I will let them in the bedroom with me if they want to.

Hendrix is a master at opening the shutters that cover the patio doors. This is where the fight happened as I was picking up fur from this area. I get the impression there may have been something at the patio doors - either a fox or the big grey cat that likes to terrorise them. Hendrix probably started growling and Jagger went to have a look to see what was happening (he is usually on a cushion not far away). I think he may have made Hendrix jump and all the aggression Hendrix was feeling was redirected at Jagger.

They both exhibited a lot of fear around that part of the garden yesterday. Hendrix barely went out that morning and was very skittish, and Jagger was also back in bed before I went to work, which is highly unusual. Jagger had also been looking at something in that area (I couldn't see anything which makes me think it was the grey cat) and then ran back in to keep watching from the safety of the conservatory.

Is this possible? They soon 'seemed' to get back to normal, and maybe I'm being optimistic that it was the above that happened, but I would hate to think they are going to stop co-existing happily...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can relate. My two girls are the best of friends for the most part co-existing, each with her own favorite spots. Last night Blondie caught two large lizards which I saved and tossed outside. That creates some tension between the two of them because they fight over the prize. At bedtime Blondie silently followed me into my bedroom as usual, but Grace was still up and hiding under a cat tree making sure Blondie didn't get into bed with me. Blondie slept on the chair facing my bed. In the morning Grace was still in the room and they suddenly burst into the bathroom rolling, kicking, biting and squealing. Nothing I said would make them stop. I think that dispute was quietly brewing since last night. Possibly over the lizards, possible over Blondie wanting to sleep with me. I imagine all will be calm again when I get home. They have their issues but always seem to work it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Jill. I was really worried, I've never had that before with them, yes they would have a squabble, but not full on like that, it was like they didn't know each other. I was actually worried about what I was going to find when I got home from work last night! But they were both home, and both seemed calm again. Hendrix can be moody but I get the impression Jagger knows when to walk away. I thought it was going to kick off again last night as Jagger wanted to play and Hendrix suddenly charged off with Jagger in hot pursuit, for Hendrix to turn on him and start hissing. Jagger just walked away and started playing with a toy. Fortunately that sort of incident doesn't seem to upset Jagger - although I think the morning incident did. He had diarrhoea last night and generally his tummy is made of much sterner stuff!

So extra big cuddles for Jags while Hendrix isn't looking lol I really don't like it when Hendrix is like that with him!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Those naughty kitties, worrying you like that. I hope they both settle down soon. x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, I think cats go through the same thing children do. Kids fight sometimes but really love each other. Cats just get into a mood ... maybe one was grumpy! Since this happens so rarely, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Cats do have tempers -- just like humans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do sometimes feel I have two toddlers fighting over toys and attention lol

Not Jagger so much, fortunately he's pretty laid back. But Hendrix is extremely high maintenance. Because they were both on my bed last night, I had an early start as Jagger was awake at 5.30am and expected everyone else to be as well. One of the reasons during the week that I shut them out! But I didn't want another cat fight during the night if Hendrix was in a mood, so when Hendrix started wailing to be let in, I gave in and Jagger followed half an hour later. They've never wanted to be in the bedroom so much as they do lately. I'm starting to wonder if they feel the heating should be on and they're a bit cold - weather here is pretty poor right now! Hendrix has stopped sleeping in his snuggle bed as well and I can't seem to get him back into the habit- he doesn't move all night if he settles in there.

I think this is something I need to work on this weekend - Operation Hendrix-back-to-Snuggle-Bed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, don't you know that cats sleep where they want to sleep? :biggrin: You can put a cat somewhere, but if it's not happy there, it will move! Raiden picks a different spot to settle down in nightly, but once he wakes up, he always comes onto our bed and sleeps on my side for the most part. Some nights he's in the mood to sleep on my husband's side. I let him sleep where he wants to. Now if I had two munchkins, it would probably be a different story! Good luck in getting Hendrix back to his snuggle bed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh yes, and believe me, they have PLENTY of places they could sleep! I got lucky last night, and Hendrix is finally back in his snuggle bed. I'd sprayed it with cat nip and also shut the door to his cat carrier. They had just settled down in the front room with me, when a phone rang on the TV - which made them both run off. They don't like telephones or door bells!

When I got up to get ready for bed, Jagger was on one of their sleeping bags in the spare room and Hendrix was in his snuggle bed purring away! I was so pleased! I closed my door to but slept with one ear open just in case there was another blood curdling fight. But they slept all night and even though Jagger was leaping in the air and dive bombing Hendrix in the morning, he didn't get stroppy! I did hold my breath though - whilst trying not to laugh as it was so funny to watch!

Fingers crossed, their beds will now appeal to them more than my bed again! The problem with them being on my bed, I end up not being able to move my legs as they are pinned down under the duvet with their weight. As a result I'm as stiff as a board in the morning and can barely walk (I might only be 45 but I have inflammatory arthritis and my knees are the worst affected joints), or I disturb them trying to move my legs - so no-one gets a good sleep and we are all grouchy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden takes up enough room on our bed -- and he's usually on MY side! I'd rather he sleep in between the hubby and me, but he's down at my feet. I don't get a good night's sleep -- ever.