[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Confused and stressed.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Confused and stressed.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

Looking for some help here with my bengal. He is 10 months old and recently has started dropping little poos in places that are not his litter box. For instance tonight he left one on the counter. They range in size from pellet to nickel size. I don't know if this is just his behavior like he's too worried he will miss something and doesn't make it to the box in time. He is also peeing in his room (he has his own room with litter box and starch post) all along one wall in the room. He is fixed and his food is Merrick Purrfect Bistro dry food and wet food occasionally but not everyday. He has a flowing water dish that is always full and his box is cleaned daily sometimes I go two days due to busy schedule. I hope someone can help with this issue or at the very least give me tips on how to "punish" him and make him see he can't do that.

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This isn't something you can punish him for as he wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't some sort of problem and it's down to you find out what that problem is. He's effectively asking you to help him.

A visit to the vet may well be in order to rule out any medical issue.

How many litter trays does he have? From what you say, you sometimes don't clean his litter tray/s for a couple of days, so it may be as simple as he doesn't consider his litter tray clean enough to use. He should have at least two trays available to him and at his age it may be that he needs bigger trays than those you have at the moment. I had to get bigger trays at around that age. Some people use big plastic storage boxes as pet litter trays aren't always big enough.

But if the trays aren't regularly being cleaned out for him, that could well be the issue. Cats are very clean creatures and would you want to use a toilet that hadn't been flushed or cleaned for two days?!

good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What do his poos look like? Is he straining when he goes? Is there ever blood? Is he drinking his water? So it's just a single very small poo in each location? It kind of sounds like he might be having trouble "going". He might be blocked up. I'd definitely get it checked by a vet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is no other advice to give you than TAKE YOUR KITTY TO THE VET with a stool sample! There is definitely a problem here. Something is going on in the digestive system. A cat's poo is supposed to be round and long and well formed! Pellets are a sign of constipation. There could be some type of obstruction, but only a vet can tell you for sure. And the fact that he's doing this outside the litter box is another sign. There should be no punishment going on as this is not your kitty's fault! And you need to stop being stressed out over this--your kitty can sense this and he's probably stressed out over the situation himself. A quick trip to the vet will tell you what is going on and what is needed to solve the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Vet plus add more boxes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Clare,
I'm asking for help not to ridiculed or questioned about my cat parenting skills. I said I clean it daily and occasionally have to go two days due to a busy work schedule so I'm almost certain it's not because he thinks it is dirty.

I am scheduling a vet appointment to have him looked at for his peeing issue. The poo is round and hard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see you feed him dry and occasionally wet. I would try giving him more wet food as cats can be notorious for not drinking enough even if they have the luxury of a water fountain, like your cat does. It's good you have got a vet appointment to check him out. It may be as simple as him being constipated and finding using the litter tray an uncomfortable experience and giving him negative associations with it. If the vet says he is fine then I would definitely get more and larger trays as Claire suggested. Cats can be very fussy with their toilets and it's finding what your particular kitty likes. I know my cat Oscar likes his tray totally clean before he will use it again - he is so high maintenance :rolleyes: :lol: Please don't take offence at things people suggest on this forum, we are all trying to help each other and it's kind of like a mass brainstorming session! I know I have taken so much advice from this forum and i'm always learning even though I have had cats in my life for 44 years! Hope the problem sorts itself out very soon.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry to hear your kitty is having litter box issues. He a very pretty bengal with the sweetest face!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I certainly didn't mean any offence! My two are seriously fussy about their litter trays as well as Melissa's Oscar!

I hope all goes well with the vet and definitely take a stool sample. He does sound constipated, I imagine he is mainly fed dry due to your work schedule (I know that's why mine get dry to get them through the day whilst I'm at work) so it may be worth getting a friend to pop in if possible those really busy days to give him some wet food, clean his tray etc.

If he is on his own all day, and you are sometimes home much later than he expects, the peeing issue could be stress related, bengals are very sociable and like company, so having someone pop in could help there too. I know mine sit looking out of the window when they know I'm due home - although I imagine that's because they know it's dinner time!

In the meantime it may be worth boiling a chicken breast, cooling the broth and then pouring it in a bowl for him to encourage him to drink whilst he's suffering and waiting for his vet apt.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, so please accept my comments in the spirit they're given, and I hope this is all sorted out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The members on this forum are extremely caring and helpful! When we see a title like "Confused and Stress," we know you are asking for help.

My concern is that the poo (as you stated) are pellet up to nickel sized! This is not normal poo for a kitty. The stool is round and long -- sometimes I swear Raiden has 6" of poo in his intestine. Normally, the length is just a couple of inches. Simple tests on the poo sample will let you know what is going on. I recently paid over $500 to get Raiden's straightened out! Vets are not cheap, but there is no price for peace of mind for you and your kitty. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Is there any way to know if your cat is getting enough to drink? I leave several water bowls around for mine and change them out regularly. Plus, as soon as I get up in the morning, the bathroom sink goes on a slow drip. Same thing for when I get home. When I'm in my bathroom, they're in my bathroom, and usually looking for water. I see them drink out of their bowls sometimes, but I feel like it does take some encouragement from me. I know the problems cats can have with their kidneys, so I want to make sure they are getting enough water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I never see Raiden drinking any of his water. He gets wet food and will play in his water bowl, but drinking? He must do it when I'm not watching him, but I can easily watch him eat and he never goes to the water. The bathrooms are closed, so he's not getting water from the toilet either. Since is poo is back to normal, I'm guessing he's getting enough moisture from the cat food.